HD channels have lower volume than same SD ch.

What are these "commercials" you refer to? I'm not familiar with those... :)

A large number of commercials attract attention by higher level audio. This is an on-going problem that probably has nothing to do with DD. I appreciate the posts related to this topic. I was correct in thinking that audio levels have been discussed previously. It will probably be with us for time to come.

A large number of commercials attract attention by higher level audio. This is an on-going problem that probably has nothing to do with DD. I appreciate the posts related to this topic. I was correct in thinking that audio levels have been discussed previously. It will probably be with us for time to come.
I get that. I was trying to be humorous in that to be honest, I don't remember the last time I watched anything "live". I record everything and watch it when I want to, skipping all the commercials.

I agree this is not a Dish Network problem. Variable audio volume levels has been a problem for years. I remember when I was a kid (well before HD or DD for that matter) I would have the TV set for comfortable listening for the program the commercials would come on and be louder than hell. The only time anyone complained about noise level was during a commercial... EVER. I used to think that TV stations or the advertising companies themselves turned up the volume so that you could still hear it when you got up to get a drink (for instance) during the break. I found out later that the FCC regulates that the volume of the commercial and the program must be the same. The advertisers/stations would get around this by compressing the dynamic range of the sound so that when played at the same volume as the program, the commercials would actually sound louder than the commercials.

If the FCC can't stop it, Dish isn't going to either.

Really though, as some have pointed out that you can reduce this with a feature on an amp, you can also reduce this issue with a feature on your sat reciever. I'm not at home so I can't look at mine to see the right terminology but there is a seletions somewhere in the guide (same screen where you select DD or PCM or both but just to the right) that will compress everything. The selection that makes what you are listening to sound louder is the one that will compress the audio. However, compressing the audio will 'dull' the sound of your DD sound programs. For this reason I don't use it, or the feature on my amp, and simiply mute the amp when it goes to commercial or when I'm channel flipping. I know from experience wich channels are typically set where on my amp without making my ears bleed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)