Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
We had a little Dish-inspired excitement this morning. It seems that Dish didn't think we had Free HD or Platinum HD. Let me explain...

We've been an Americas Top 200 customer for at least a decade. When HD became available, we got the necessary hardware and signed up for the available package. Early last year, I had Dish come out and switch us from a hybrid 61.5?/110?/119? pair of dishes to a single DishPro+ 1000.4. At some point, Dish also offered us a free promo of the Platinum HD even though we had been paying 20, then $10/mo for the HD channels. So we had Platinum HD but got a $10/mo credit.

Last week, I received an e-mail from Dish saying that my free Platinum HD Promotion was going to end on Feb 22. To keep my HD Platinum channels, I needed to sign into my on-line account and add HD Platinum back in. I did that this last weekend and received an e-mail from Dish acknowledging my change.

This morning, I was awakened with my son's "Dad, the TV is jank (his word)" whine. I checked out the ViP 722k and sure enough, there were all our HD channels in red. The first thing I tried was pushing the reset button on the ViP 722k, but there was still no joy after it came back.

"This seems like a programming problem" I thought, so I went upstairs to check my ViP 211. It had the same issue: most of the HD channels were in red. What was interesting was Speed HD was in the clear, but nothing else. I had been watching Speed last night before going to bed, so I wonder if that somehow spared it from whatever malady befell our receivers.

I called Dish's toll-free number and after trying the automated menu system, it eventually decided that I needed a warm body instead of cold electrons. Once we pulled the power for half-a-minute, the 722 went through the usual Acquiring Signal and EPG download. This worked and we had all our channels back. The whole process took about a 50 minutes with all the reboots and the switch test.

The CSR said that this was a known problem with their system, that some users experienced a loss of the HD channels after the removal of the PlatinumHD Promo. I didn't see anyone mention a similar problem here on SatelliteGuys.US so I thought I'd share.

Yup; there is a thread or two about this. But I don't see it at the moment either.

The very same happened to me last night, on my 612k but not the 722k. Called, reboot fixed it. Also complained on the same call about price increase of $5/mo and got a $10.mo credit for a year, which was a nice touch for a loyal customer.

The HD channels used to be in a HD/Platinum combo package for $10..then they came up with HD for free concept and decided just to charge $10 for platinum..if i had to guess this could be the root cause

This happened to me. When I called to have it corrected they gave me Platinum free for one year.
I must have exceeded my quota for freebies. The CSR didn't offer this to me, probably because I've had the Platinum HD free for the last six months or so.

I thought I'd need to reboot the 211, but once everything got straightened out on the 722k, my 211 was back to normal. I did change the Nightly Reboot time from 5:30am to 3:30am. My wife tells me that my son (who wakes up before then - is he really my son?) sees the "This system needs to restart now" message and cancels it, so who knows when the last time the 722k went through the nightly reboot. I had originally set it to 5:30am because I'm a night owl and sometimes I would be up that late. Oh well...

This happened to my mother-in-law last night.
She calls me up and says all of her local channels over the antenna were gone as well as her HD channels.
Called up Dish and the CSR had everything running again in under 5 min.
The Dish Timers came back up immediately but the OTA timers still had not come back on within the hour.
Have not called her back to see if the OTA timers were working again.