HD Channels, Low signal Sat 129

psp800

Original poster
May 2, 2013
mississippi
I have a dish 500+ pointed to 110, 118, and 119 with a vip722k. i have a extra dish pointed at 61.5 that i am not using. so i decided to repoint that 61.5 to 129 so i could get more HD channels (yes, i am subscribed to them). so i unhooked the dish 500+ from the receiver and ran check switch. then pluged the 61.5 dish straight into receiver and tried to aim it at 129 on transponder 17. the max signal strength i could get was 62, but the receiver did lock on to the sat. so i thignted up the bolts and i still had signal of 62. so after aiming to 129, i pluged that dish into the "lnb in" on the dish 500+( becuase it has a built in switch). i then ran a coax from the "out" on the dish 500+ to the receiver. and ran check switch. for some reason it was taking a really long time on step 4 of 4 on the check switch. therefore, i hit cancel and it showed green for sat 110, 119,118, and 129. For device for each sat it showed DB+ for 110, 119, 118, and for 129 it showed N.C. i don know what this means. but i exited out of the menus and it went to acquiring signal. then went to live tv. i looked in the guide and saw that all the HD channels on 129 were showing there. SO i tried to watch one of them and it just says no signal switching to sd. and sd works, but i assume that is becuase the sd is not on 129 but on one of the other three sats. i tired several more and all do the same. I went to point dish menu and see that signal had droped to 52 on transponder 17. I read online that many pep can watch with that much signal strngth so i tired channels on transponder 17 and still same thing. tried resetting and ran check switch again but still no luck. any idea what i can do? i dont see any LOS issues.. and i believe im using a legacy dish the 18" one. i have a extra dish 500 too.. but do not have the mast for it, but would that get better signal? and do you guys think low signal is the problem?

im from southern mississppi btw. i dont think it should be a problem aiming at 129?

You're likely locked on to 110 or 119 with your single eye. Therefore your switch wont detect the sat twice. Try running a jumper from your 500 dish to your receicer, run a check switch. This will tell you for sure whether or not you're pointed at 129.

You're likely locked on to 110 or 119 with your single eye. Therefore your switch wont detect the sat twice. Try running a jumper from your 500 dish to your receicer, run a check switch. This will tell you for sure whether or not you're pointed at 129.

I did that. it is locked on to 129 but the signal strength is only 52. and it shows no signal on the channels on sat 129.

Are you sure you have a DP (DishPro) LNB on the wing dish? Sounds to me like you either have a legacy LNB on it or possibly the LNB is bad. That would be my two guesses.

My bet is on legacy LNB on the 129 as it was functioning properly by itself. Legacy LNBs are not compatible with DP or DPP switches. You'll need to get a DP dual for the wing dish.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So are you saying that if plug it directly into receiver with out switch it would work? Or is legacy lnb completely incompatible with sat 129? .. but if it is incompatible how does it lock onto the sat 129 even with the switch? Im prety sure it is dp lnb though but ill have to check when I get off work.

A legacy LNB should work with your 722, which explains why you see a locked signal when you plug it in directly. 62 is excellent SS on an 8PSK transponder.

A legacy LNB will NOT work with a DPP switch such as that inside (?) your 500+ LNB. I think it is a DPP switch since it has an LNB-in port.

If it's a DP dual then it should have the DishPro (DP) logo on it. The Switch in your 500+ isn't compatible with Lawazy LNVd

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

We all know that if it's legacy or early dp single it has drift by now. I assume the last tech out there didn't leave the arm for the 129 on the LNB. Like everybody else said, 52 is high average on signal for the 129, but it has to be a compatible LNB. Best bet may be to have a tech put the 129 bracket on the 500+ (or even find one yourself) and get a new single on it

He's competent to re-aim to 129... Why should he pay a tech to replace his legacy dual with a new bracket AND a DP dual (or single)? Kinda trivial just to replace the LNB on his separate dish and be done.

A legacy LNB will show signal on 129 but not work correctly thru the switch(won't switch between odds & evens IIRC). Get a Dish Pro LNB and replace the legacy one and then do the switch check. It could take a bit to figure things out. But if it is doing 4 steps instead of 38 it will be OK when it finishes. The 38 step switch check tells you that there are some serious problems.

Dual and single LNBs are basically the same thing with two or one outputs. Only one output need be used, so you should be good with either, assuming it's truly DP and not legacy..

Dual and single LNBs are basically the same thing with two or one outputs. Only one output need be used, so you should be good with either, assuming it's truly DP and not legacy..

Yeah i just went through this back home when I was in Ohio, i had to put a Dish 300 on the shed outback and run a wire above ground to the house since the one on the roof of the house did not have clearance to get 129. I ended up getting 61 on a majority of transponders and it works just fine for HD and did not go out when it rained the other day (as i was told)

I bought one off Amazon, and got it in three days, it cost me $50 but that's fine since they do not have to go to Direc or Time Warner now.

People often confuse the DP Dual with the DP/DPP Twin. The DP Dual is a single LNB with two outputs. The Twin has two LNBs (for 110/119) and either two outputs (DP) or two outputs plus an LNB IN (DPP.) Then there is the DP Single which is a single LNB with one output. DP Singles are rare these days as I believe they have been discontinued.

I understand dual lnb only has 1 eye but 2 outputs. But the switch only has one input. So I would be only using 1 output on the dual lnb. Thats y I asked. Can the switch still control the pilarities with only 1 input?

Can the switch still control the pilarities with only 1 input?

Yes it can because DP technology is bandstacked. The entire sat, including both polarizations, rides down one cable simultaneously.

What kind of seperator would I need so wouldnt have to run two coax from switch to receiver. Currently I have two coax running from switch to each tuner on receiver. But I want ro use one of tje coax for something els.