HD Channels moving ??

PleasureSeeker

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Caribbean
Can anyone confirm/deny a rumor that the HD channels on Echostar XV at 61.5W are moving to Nimiq 5 at 72.7W. And if affirmative, would you have a likely time frame for the move ? I know that both of these birds are part of the eastern arc satellites, so am confused about this.

But as I write they are still transmitting from 61.5. Can you shed light on whether the HD content of 61.5 (not the locals) are going to be transmitted from 72.7 and permanently removed from 61.5 ?

But as I write they are still transmitting from 61.5. Can you shed light on whether the HD content of 61.5 (not the locals) are going to be transmitted from 72.7 and permanently removed from 61.5 ?
We have been doing a lot of migration upgrades. People in the midwest that have 110, 119 and 61.5 are being upgraded to EA (61.5, 72.7 and 77) due to Dish moving core HD (not locals) from 61.5 to 72.7. This was to begin in January, not sure if it has begun, or has been delayed. All I know is they were telling customers in December that they will begin to lose their HD programming in January if they delay the EA upgrade.

DIRECTV had the 72 satellite (leased slot from Canada DBS), but now Dish has the lease. DIRECTV has been moving off their programming and Dish has been gaining capacity. Now Dish has the capacity available for the move.

As far as it being a permanent move, it is hard to say how long it will be in that configuration. Dish moves stuff around a lot, every few years they seem to rearrange everything depending on what new satellites/slots they have available. But, HD will probably be on 72.7 for a few years. Dish wants everyone to have either EA or WA so that they can move stuff around between the 3 satellites on each system as needed. They launch new satellites all the time and with new capabilites they want the flexibility to move stuff around.

Thanks to all you guys that responded so quickly ! I will now close the chapter on this. Before doing so however, and while I appreciate Dish wanting their all of their subscribers to have either the EA or WA, I cannot justify in my own mind why they feel the need to move channels from one satellite to another satellite within the same arc configuration i.e. 61.5 and 72.7 are both members of the EA. And to further cloud the logic of it, they are moving channels from a bird that they only commissioned in July last year (but which they own) to another bird (older but which they lease).

Once again, thanks for your inputs and I do welcome any further information if and when any becomes available.

Thanks to all you guys that responded so quickly ! I will now close the chapter on this. Before doing so however, and while I appreciate Dish wanting their all of their subscribers to have either the EA or WA, I cannot justify in my own mind why they feel the need to move channels from one satellite to another satellite within the same arc configuration i.e. 61.5 and 72.7 are both members of the EA. And to further cloud the logic of it, they are moving channels from a bird that they only commissioned in July last year (but which they own) to another bird (older but which they lease).

Once again, thanks for your inputs and I do welcome any further information if and when any becomes available.

There's no logic, they just want to get rid of the 110, 119, 61.5 configuration, my bet is that when everybody has either arc they will use 61.5 for hd again.

This one has a lot of logic behind it actually. They are trying to end mixed dish configurations and get people on pure Eastern Arc or Western Arc setups. This will require not only DISH upgrades for a lot of folks, but also receiver upgrades as well. They want everyone on the Western Arc to have at least all 8PSK compatable receivers in their homes as in the future DISH will move all the SD channels on the WA (Western Arc) to 8PSK which would open up a bunch of space for MANY MANY new HD channels. Effectively they could double the ammount of space they have (if not more) by doing this and without adding a single new satellite. This would blow away DIRECTV in the way of available spectrum they have for new HD and other new services.

See there is a method to their madness, its unfortunate that these things take so long to get done. :)

Anyways here is the list of HD channel moves that I have that will be moving from 61.5 to 72.7. The dates and channels are however subject to change.

BIG 10 Network (9500) April 6
HBO2E (9455) Mar 16
HBOCY (9451) Mar 16
HBOFM (9453) Mar 16
HBOLT (9459) Mar 16
HBOSG (9454) Mar 16
HBO-W (9478) Mar 16
HBOZ (9452) Mar 16
MAX-E (9458) Mar 16
MAX-W (9440) Mar 16
SHOCS (9513) Apr 6
SHOTO (9480) Apr 6
SK&FM (9435) April 6
STARZ (9435) Feb 16
STZC (9486) Feb 16

It is rumored that many SD Channels will be moving fro 72.7 to 61.5 in February as well (Again dates and channels are subject to change) The first rumored batch of channels to move from 72.7 to 61.5 are as follows....

MIL, SLTH, BIG10, CHILR, TENIS, NHLN, BIO, CNBCW, EWAM FXNWS, SK&FM, STARZ, STZC, TOON, COOK, EACTN, EMYST, ENCOR, EWSTN, HBO2E, HBO-E, HBO-W, MAX-W, SHO-W, SPMAN, STRZW, TMC-E, TMC-W, TMCXW, PREVW, HBOSG, HMC, NATGW, NTGEO, NTGEO, CNBC, FOXB, FUEL, HBOCY, HBOFM, HBOLT, HISTI, MAX-E, SCI, TLC, TRV, CMT, EDRAM, ELOVE, ENCRW, 5-MAX, ACMAX, BOOM, DISC, HUB, FSC, GREEN, MUN2, NICKT, VERIA, DIY, FOXMO, GAC, NBATV, OTDCH, VH1CL, VS, EPIX3, A NUMBER OF THE MUZAK AUDIO CHANNELS, BITV, ESPN2, MTV, NFL, NICK, SHO-E, SHOTO, SPIKE, A&E, CMDY, FOOD, HGTV, HIST, SHOCS, STYLE, TBS, USA.

A number of HD channels will also be moving from 72.7 onto 61.5. The rumored list is as follows (and again is subject to change)

HGTV, HIST, SHOCS, STULE, TBS, USA, DIY, EPIX2, CI, HDNMV, WGN, GREEN & HDTHR.

Again there is a method to their madness... Rome was not built in a day. :D

It needs to be pointed out that the satellite that Dish leases space on at 72.7 W is a CONUS only satellite and coupled with the fact that Dish is planning to launch the E-16 satellite to 61.5 W sometime in 2012 which will increase the number of TPs at 61.5 W needed for spotbeams makes it quite logical for Dish to move CONUS programming to 72.7 W. It is a bit confusing about Dish possibly moving SD channels from 72.7 W to 61.5 W as well as a handful of HD channels. One reason might be that the CONUS TPs on the E-15 satellite at 61.5 W are much higher in power than those on the Nimiq 5 satelllite at 72.7 W so Dish should be able to put more SD channels per TP at 61.5 W. It will also be interesting to see when Dish will eliminate all the SD duplicates of HD channels on the Eastern Arc.

As a side note I believe the switch from QPSK MPEG-2 to 8PSK MPEG-2 on the Western Arc results in a capacity gain of only 30% due in part to the need to increase Forward Error Correction with 8PSK. Also Dish will want to utilize 10 TPs on the E-14 satellite at 119 W for spotbeams instead of the current 5 so the 8PSK conversion capacity gain on the Western Arc will not be as great for CONUS programming, perhaps 5 TPs by my count. Any rumors on when the Western Arc 8PSK conversion will take place?

Perhaps the SD channels moving to 61.5 are the ones Dish is working on eventually dropping. It appears that they are contractually obligated to provide both feeds by some providers, even though all the EA receivers are MPEG4 HD capable. Then of course is the HD fee which they seem to be working to drop with HD free for life, if they have SD only holdouts on EA, dropping the SD channels is problematic. Of course after they have milked the $99/2 year commitment to death they could relent and just give HD to everyone.

Given that it appears to be a large number of premiums in the list, they could be the first SD channels to be dropped. I believe that it has always been that one receives the HD feeds for free in a premium package even if you do not pay for HD on the base package.

Hmmm...here in Houston we used the 1000.4 EA for tree blocked installs and wrong facing apts; the 1000.4 EA doesn't work with SD receivers, neither does the 1000.2 EA. As well, there is a big signal drop from WA to EA, but DISH doesn't want 2 dish installs (neither do most customers).
I wonder how that is gonna work for the immediate future? Dish is clearing out all the SD stuff cheap...a new 625 from DISH is $50.But for now, that's a problem, here at least.

Zombie thread comes back to life!
Welcome to Satelliteguys Philbert! The concerns you bring up were discussed and parsed out on threads starting about three years ago when Dish began the migration of HD channels from 61.5 to 72. I was one of the ones affected severely due to trees. Luckily I got a great installer who took the time to find a spot on my roof that sees through the right holes in trees to get signal.

Be sure to check the dates on threads before you comment to make sure you dont bring zombie threads back to life. But please contribute any thought you may have! We love good conversation here!

Tony

As well, there is a big signal drop from WA to EA...

You are not looking at signal strength when looking at the Point Dish screen. It's closer to an inverse error rate, and the error rate is higher on EA because it's all 8PSK. If you look at 8PSK transponders on WA, you will see comparable numbers on the Point Dish screen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)