HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's important to note that when DirecTV adds HD channels, they'll be actual channels you'd want to watch. There will be none of this Animania HD, Kung Fu HD, or even Equator HD. The HD offerings are a little thin right now, but the strategy of Locals in HD first seems to be paying off. When the nationals roll out, it should be pretty awesome.

It sounds like from most of the posts I read, that fall 2007 or sometime next year will be a big moment for DTV. Many of us that are loyal to them, from what I have been reading are using this as their "turning point" on if they continue to have DTV. I think the days of relying on "Sunday Ticket" could be ending. I am a sunday ticket person, and I am looking forward to new channels next year!

Soon after the launch of DirecTV 10 (currently slated for Apr - June of 2007) and the subsequent testing & handover to DirecTV, you will see new national HD added. They are currently concentrating on, per their long standing plan based on subscriber requests, adding HD LIL as the top priority. It remains to be seen if DirecTV 9 holds 1 or 2 rabbits. Does anyone know when the hand off to DirecTV is planned?

Last edited:
Soon after the launch of DirecTV 10 (currently slated for Apr - June of 2007) and the subsequent testing & handover to DirecTV, you will see new national HD added. They are currently concentrating on, per their long standing plan based on subscriber requests, adding HD LIL as the top priority. It remains to be seen if DirecTV 9 holds 1 or 2 rabbits. Does anyone know when the hand off to DirecTV is planned?

directv 9 is going to be the backup satellite to the 101 location which is the main satellite for dtv programming, the reason that they launched it is because that main dtv satellite at 101 is getting close to dying b/c of how old it is, so that's why they launched dtv9. dtv 10, and 11, which are going to be at 99 and 103 will be for HD

It is my understanding that more HD will be coming in the next 4 to 30 months.

That is probably the most accurate statement I've seen in years. However, it still may be a tad optimistic, it is the D* we all know. If it is not satellite delays it is HD programming that is too expensive to produce. My prediction is that 10 & 11 will get up by the end of 2007, but high priced D* lawyers will slow down the HD programming contract negotiating process. Also, the suite of FNC & NGC HD are hardly a voom buster.

Some of us Superfans are stuck; I guess I'll hang out with my HR10-250 until they give away the SL ODU & dual buffer HR-20.

Don

More HD channels

I heard today on XM Radio that Directv is close to having a 150 Hd channels soon.:rolleyes:

Truth be told, I bought DirecTV for their 2007 addition of HDTV channels so I am praying they hold to their word and make it worth my while or else I will drop when my contract is up

I heard today on XM Radio that Directv is close to having a 150 Hd channels soon.:rolleyes:

Please stop with this already; the comment is: after the addition of the DirecTV10 & 11 that "they will have the CAPACITY to deliver 150 national HD and 1500 LIL HD".

This is already it about 20 other threads and nearly and exact quote of their comment.

Sorry..... having both D* & E* HD I too hope for more HD from DirecTV, but why many will wait for HD programing to come when they could be enjoying great HD programing now with a great DVR (VIP 622) from DISH. Yes it could be an additional expense but it could also be a long Winter. Enjoy HD today. Really not that much money even if you choose not to cancel D* and just add E* as I did. How much did that HD set cost? A/V receiver? Speakers? How much are you spending monthly now for programing? Good PQ?

No bashing here. Just don't understand all those that will wait another year (I'm waiting too) and not enjoy their HD setup now with Family & Friends.

the reason why dtv did this deal by adding local hd channels first is because how many national hd channels actually are there?? let's see, TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, National Geographic, HBO, Starz, Showtime...and how many people have HD sets?? majority of the people want their locals first and that was dtv's strategy, by fall of 07, many more national stations will broadcast in HD, and that's when it will actually be worth it to dtv to get those channels

Sorry..... having both D* & E* HD I too hope for more HD from DirecTV, but why many will wait for HD programing to come when they could be enjoying great HD programing now with a great DVR (VIP 622) from DISH. Yes it could be an additional expense but it could also be a long Winter. Enjoy HD today. Really not that much money even if you choose not to cancel D* and just add E* as I did. How much did that HD set cost? A/V receiver? Speakers? How much are you spending monthly now for programing? Good PQ?

No bashing here. Just don't understand all those that will wait another year (I'm waiting too) and not enjoy their HD setup now with Family & Friends.

IF you woud have honestly looked at D* and done some homework you would have known that the D* plan was to have the HD and new sats up in '07,this information has been going around for about a year and a half now... Those complaining about the lack of HD on D* are just complaining to complain.

Jimbo

DirecTV is promising for late 2007 what Verizon FIOS already delivers, and FIOS for less money.

If you have access to a fiber optic service, consider it. Other than that, D* is probably the better of a really bad lot, still bad, but not as bad as the other guys.

I am one of the guys who did not give a rip about locals-I just wanted all the national channels, like Starz HD, TMC HD, Nat. Geographic HD, etc. Don't have 'em, and ain't gonna anytime soon on D*. With FIOS, you get everything, uncompressed, and for less money. Go figure.

For all that, D*'s hardware (their boxes, not their video transmission or channels)and DVRs are still better, more versatile and better for custom installs and whole house networks.

It's important to note that when DirecTV adds HD channels, they'll be actual channels you'd want to watch. There will be none of this Animania HD, Kung Fu HD, or even Equator HD. The HD offerings are a little thin right now, but the strategy of Locals in HD first seems to be paying off. When the nationals roll out, it should be pretty awesome.

And what would those channels be. There are not a whole lot of channels offering HD right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)