HD Connections (Comp Vs. HDMI)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

seanb

Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Forgive me, I know this is probably an ignorant question, but after hearing that DISH was upgrading to 1080p I had a question:

When I had my service installed the HDMI output on the back receiver would not work so we hooked it up using component video cables. The installer said it didn't matter because the signal DISH sends was not yet good enough for the HDMI cable to be an issue..

Soo.. is it an issue now? If I could use my HDMI port would I be getting a better picture then with my component video cables? My TV is able to receive up to 1080i and 1080p (don't know which of those is the better one..)

Component cable is capable of carrying 1080p. The issue may be copy-protection that's in the 1080p material. For that, you may need to use DVI or HDMI.

While component may be capable of 1080p, does anyone think that Dish will enable 1080p on component connections, especially since the only 1080p content will be VOD? I expect to watch 1080p content (edit: in 1080p), HDMI will be required.

Ted

Last edited:
Sooner or later (i.e.- sooner) studios will require DRM and down rezzing HD content sent over analog connections such as component cables. In fact, it's already being done in a limited way. It will spread.

Time to move to HDMI. Skip DVI if you can.

Also, the HDMI connection handles the video and audio with one cable while the component set up needs five lines - which makes your connection much cleaner. Plus the pure digital signal with HDMI will make this a worthwhile change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts