HD Distant Networks

netminder32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005

Yes, I viewed the chat, when Chuck told us that the HD feeds would
not be rebroadcast to those that have subs to the distant networks,
however, I get CBSHD.....why wouldn't I be able to get the other
three nets? I apologize in advance for my ignorance....

Another thought...why does E* and D* have to duplicate all of the
locals? Wasted bandwidth in my eyes....

Yeah Im wondering where our HD NETS are too. Not locals cause we have non eup here in VT. And I qualify for 3 of the 4 nets. Cbs wont give me a waiver. Im ___ this close to dropping dish and getting DTV. Heck I can get hdlite from dish or DTV lol so no use keeping dish for real hd anymore.

So, are you saying that if you already have the distant feeds coming to you in SD, you won't be able to get the HD feed?

If I'm reading that correctly, why would you want to?

Why would I want to get the four broadcast networks in HD?

My first guess, the picture looks better through my HD equipment. :)

dead3ye said:
So, are you saying that if you already have the distant feeds coming to you in SD, you won't be able to get the HD feed?

If I'm reading that correctly, why would you want to?

Are you questioning why anyone would want the HD feeds if they've already got the SD feeds ?:eek:

Per a phone conversation I had with an FCC rep recently, basically the local afilliate gets the final say as to whether you get an imported distant digital signal.

I asked her like 3 times. I said what about SHVERA and prediction models and signal tests, etc and she just reinterated that other than an individule waiver or a previous decleration by the afilliate that a certain geographical area was incapable of receiving the signal or a contract between the nationial network and the satellite company in an O & O area, there wasn't much that could be done under current law.

I then mentioned about there being some afilliates have a blanket policy of refusing waivers to everyone and she said that she had never heard of any afilliate denying a waiver to anyone that was predicted to NOT receive a grade "B" or better signal.

I suspect its a bandwidth issue. Dish is probably transmitting the HD locals on spot beams, and does't have the bandwidth to transmit that many local networks in HD nationally. They're probably leaving the CBS national HD feeds up because there's a lot of people that have had them for years.

this dosent make much sense to me, i can enter my address at direct tvs web site and it tells me i'm elgible for hd distant networks. do they have different rules than dish?

mathius8 said:
this dosent make much sense to me, i can enter my address at direct tvs web site and it tells me i'm elgible for hd distant networks. do they have different rules than dish?
No they use the same software to detirmine eligibility....

Might just be a business decision by Dish. They're not sending any true mpeg4 yet, but I think Directv may be. Dish has to allow space for the Voom's too.

WRT markets where the station(s) are Owned and Operated by the network, it is purely a business decision by Dish and/or DirecTV whether DNS feeds will be provided or not, and what the contract between the network and the DBS company calls for. The FCC has no purview in the matter.
With affiliates(independent) stations, even if a waiver is granted by the station it is still at the discretion of the DBS Co whether to provide the signals or not.
Of course, with no waiver(affiliates)=no DNS, regardless of whether or not the DBS Co carries the DNS signals or not.
Some time this year there is supposed to be a digital signal testing protocol for those instances where the station had denied the waiver, yet you cannot receive the OTA signal. In simple terms, if you pass the signal test(can't receive the OTA signal) then the DBS Co is legally able to provide you with a DNS signal. That is not to say they have to, only that they can.
With the rollout of HD LiL DBS Cos are becoming more reluctant to provide DNS signals, one reason being that doing so can cause friction in the negotiation for carriage of the affiliate's HD signal. Network owned stations(Owned and Operated) contracts are negotiated at the network level and the local station does what the network tells them to do.

jmcgee_jr said:
No they use the same software to detirmine eligibility....

It really doesn't determine eligibility - it only "predicts" signal reception. In theory, the afilliates are supposed to use this as a guide to determine who can get their signals and who could probably be granted a waiver. That's in "theory". The sat companies just use the same method to decide whether it's likely you'll get a waiver or not.

The bottom line (and everyone misses this) is since there is currently NO digital specific signal testing method allowed to appeal the afilliate's decision, any afilliate can just say no to a waiver and there's not much you can do about it. They currently hold all the cards but many of them have "over-played" those cards and may have shot themselves in the foot.

Now national networks are seeking ways around their contracts with those afilliates for prime time offerings in a VOD venue or alternate cable channel similcasts.

So let me get this straight. I get a national NBC in SD now since there is no NBC in my area. Will I be able to get NBC HD Feb 1 or not. Also, my local Fox is O&O so I should be able to get it HD too right. I can receive their digital station but my Fox is not HD yet. I'm not worried about ABC and CBS because I already get those OTA.

I live in the Los Angeles DMA in 91354 (obviously an O&O market for the major networks)and I don't subscribe to locals because I had to make the choice between grandfathered distants and locals. I get CBSHD via Dish (I have a leased 942) and NY and Denver SD distant nets. Local digital OTA is limited to KNBC (the rest don't come in due to local terrain) via a CM 4228. No info on my EPG for KNBC because I don't subscribe to locals since I had to make the grandfather choice. When I upgrade to the 622, does anybody have any idea what my network HD options will be? Local and/or distant?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts