HD downloads

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Now that toshiba just announced their new HDDVD recorder is there anyway you can download from the 622 HD material to the recorder?

Hmmm...how exactly do they plan on securing the files on external drives?

JVC has their new "ProHD" DVD player out. It's more for industry use, but it looks like a standard DVD player. It plays MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV, Divx-HD, and other HD file formats burned to standard DVDs. It also will stream files over Ethernet. It seems odd to be coming out now, but I can see a market if it's cheap enough.

Depends how the player records right, if there's proper HDCP in the HDMI it may allow a record, a doubt there will be any recoding over component

M Sparks said:
Hmmm...how exactly do they plan on securing the files on external drives?
Likely by utilizing the same security authorization used to protect the data streams from the satellites. Thats my guess anyway.

dude2 said:
Now that toshiba just announced their new HDDVD recorder is there anyway you can download from the 622 HD material to the recorder?

If I understand correctly, you are asking if you can download HD programs from the 622 Hard Disk to the HD DVD recorder. The answer to that is that the HD DVD recorder does not have Firewire or USB 2.0; so the answer will be no. Now I am sure that either Blu Ray or HD DVD will get a recorder with Firewire or USB 2.0 in the market int he future since HD cameras will probably use the same interface. At that point then you will have half of the problem done. The other half will need - the 622 or other HD receiver - Firewire Active or USB 2.0 accepting download to such device. The third option is to get an owned 622 moded with Firewire. This third option will be more expensive but it should work as long as you have Firewire on the HD DVD recorder. Right now I do not think the HD DVD recorder has Firewire. Look here for the specifications:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2006/06/toshibas_rd-a1.php

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)