HD DVD DVI Question

bloomdog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
My HDTV monitor has a DVI input and a component input. Should I buy a converter cable to convert the HDMI output of the HD DVD player to use with the DVI input of my monitor? Will I have any problems? SHould I use the component video cables instead? Will I be at all limited in resolution? I am about to buy the Toshiba HD-DVD Player (HDA2).
Thanx:hatsoff:

HDMI->DVI cable will allow upconversion of SD DVDs. HD DVD playback will be the same resolution. However, I think the current firmware on the A2 has a bug with DVI that it doesn't use full resolution. So for now I would recommend component.

-John

As jgantert pointed out, there seem to be an issue with HDMI to DVI conversion specific to Toshiba HD-A2 player: for some TV sets it fails to allow resolutions above 480p. (Just Google for "HD-A2 DVI".) Not everyone experiences this problem, and there is a hope that the problem will be fixed with a firmware update. If your setup has this issue, component cable will be your best choice until the issue is fixed by Toshiba.

There is also another issue with HDMI to DVI conversion the way it is done with Toshiba HD DVD players: color reproduction may not be very accurate (wrong colorspace used at least in some cases), but this problem is less significant compared to the 480p resolution limitation.

I'm using DVI on my RCA HD DVD player, and have never noticed the color problem (or the "black crush" problem others sometimes report). My other TV uses HDMI, and the colors appear very simular to me.

-John

I'm using DVI on my RCA HD DVD player, and have never noticed the color problem (or the "black crush" problem others sometimes report). My other TV uses HDMI, and the colors appear very simular to me.

-John
As I understand, it's just certain TV sets that are having those problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)