HD DVD moves to expand capacity

Less than 4 months after Blu-ray launch the first BD50 titles were released. 203 and counting BD50 titles have been commercially released in the US alone.

10 months after Toshiba announces HD51? 0 titles have been commercially released. 0 titles have even been announced. Vaporware.

It's just PR. Will probably never see the light of day, at least not in volume. And I've been of this opinion for a while...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/970503-post90.html

They just made it a talking point. Can be very helpful...:)

RE: 50GB BD discs.
The first batch that came with PS3 at launch used film coating: high quality, very reliable and very expensive.
Spin coating (i.e. liquid is put on the bare disk while spinning) took longer to get out of the lab and up until now Sony makes the majority of BD50s...

And saying the 50GB BD production was mastered in 4 months would be a stretch - it's more like 4 years...

Diogen.

It's just PR. Will probably never see the light of day, at least not in volume. And I've been of this opinion for a while...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/970503-post90.html

They just made it a talking point. Can be very helpful...:)

Diogen.

Talking point become a liabilities when you don't follow through. The HD DVD crowd crowd the BD50 was "science fiction" even though Click was practically a launch title. Meanwhile, much, much, more time has passed since the announcement of HD51 and nothing has been released, nor even announced. It's more vaporware than TotalHD, which at least produced a public demo disc.

Talking point become a liabilities when you don't follow through. The HD DVD crowd crowd the BD50 was "science fiction" even though Click was practically a launch title. Meanwhile, much, much, more time has passed since the announcement of HD51 and nothing has been released, nor even announced. It's more vaporware than TotalHD, which at least produced a public demo disc.
Wait until CES next month. :D

Talking point become a liabilities when you don't follow through.
Don't say that. People have very short memory...

I'm reading for months now (in delivered flyers) what a great PiP experience Blu-ray has. And sometimes there isn't even any fine print with clarification.
Saying that there are no discs that have it yet (2 simultanious video streams) and many standalones will never be capable of doing it would be nice, don't you think?

PR, talking point, all it is...
The HD DVD crowd crowd the BD50 was "science fiction"...
Since you find this argument suitable, I'll remind you what a POS the first Fifth Element was...
With all the storage and bandwidth superiority. And paidgeek claiming "That's the master"... :p

Diogen.

I am sure if they can upgrade all the existing players 51 GB will see the light of day at least on a few titles. There is still the restriction on the transfer rate of the disc, so it will be interesting to see what they can do with the space besides putting really long movies on it.

Ah, there you go then. Once again, I prove my ignorance and that everything I say is only my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt.

:)

Well, we all knew HD DVD has 15GB per layer, and interestingly there is no spec for a 17GB single or 34GB double layer. I read that Toshiba claims it was easier & more reliable reading the third layer by changing the layer structure to 17GB.

And, interestingly, Disney broke with other BDA members on the DVD Forum (who usually abstain from any votes on HD DVD matters) in voting FOR the 51GB HD DVD. ;)

Oh Great! Now even more "fluff" to fill the disc. :)

Why not have one move per disc, encoded in the "bestest" possible encoding?

Remember LD's? No "fluff" (of course no easy way to maneuver to the "fluff" anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)