HD-DVD owners need to buy HD-DVD drive

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I am looking at getting an Xbox HD-DVD drive now. I think I will probably get it and Slysoft's ripper program. Time to archive away my HD-DVD collection. Althought I do not have an HTPC yet, I have been thinking about building one eventually, may as well have a way to rip off all the HD-DVD movies to use in the future. I do not want to have to buy all the movies over again in BD.

Its actually not a bad idea if you are considering a switch. Rip the movies.

Now, the dead thing may be premature, but come on. Supporting a format that seems to have given up on itself and only has paramount and universal is ludicrous.

Yeah I know, the A2 makes sddvd's look great and thats better than buying an incomplete player :rolleyes:

Looks like its time to move back out of the war zone for a bit, after every hit HDDVD proponents get more and more delusional. Ill see you guys again in here when Uni goes neutral, then we'll use the "dead" term.

So are you guys saying not to buy HD DVD's anymore? I really wanted to get the kingdom, but maybe a rental would be better. What about the upcoming movies from universal? Not sure which ones there are, but I'm sure there is something good. I don't know if universal will go blu just yet.

So are you guys saying not to buy HD DVD's anymore? I really wanted to get the kingdom, but maybe a rental would be better. What about the upcoming movies from universal? Not sure which ones there are, but I'm sure there is something good. I don't know if universal will go blu just yet.

It is all speculation now. Nothing has been said officially from Universal. It is possible they could stay HD-DVD exclusive, they could release in both formats or they could go BD exclusive.

I was just pointing out that you could rip all your HD-DVDs to disc to save them for future playback (in case your HD-DVD player broke).

It is all speculation now. Nothing has been said officially from Universal. It is possible they could stay HD-DVD exclusive, they could release in both formats or they could go BD exclusive.

I was just pointing out that you could rip all your HD-DVDs to disc to save them for future playback (in case your HD-DVD player broke).

I have had more Hard drives fail than Optical drives :D, But it is a thought. Just need a way to back up the 19 gig files. (least they are not 50 gigs each). LOL.

Well I went to Ebay today and picked up an HD-DVD drive for the Xbox. It cost me $92 (included some HD-DVDs), probably could have waited a month and gotten a better deal. Going to hook it up to the computer, apply some AnyDVD and rip some HD-DVDs.

Well I went to Ebay today and picked up an HD-DVD drive for the Xbox. It cost me $92 (included some HD-DVDs), probably could have waited a month and gotten a better deal. Going to hook it up to the computer, apply some AnyDVD and rip some HD-DVDs.

What is all needed to do this? Did you have to buy a capture card?

The thing about it is, that if I do rip my whole library to disc... about 3TB worth (I need a sale on large drives!), HD-DVD could be the most convient format then. No longer waiting forever on disc loads.

You can even take it out if you wanted to and plug it directly into your computer...
No, you can't.
The IDE connector is propriatory although with some soldering skills you can make it work.
The enclosure also has the HDCP handshake chip that none of regular enclosures do.

Diogen.

The thing about it is, that if I do rip my whole library to disc... about 3TB worth...
RAID-5 with five 750GB drives should do that.
Replace them with 1TB drives and you have some room to grow.

And this will cost about the same as a good BD player does... :)

Diogen.

No, you can't.
The IDE connector is propriatory although with some soldering skills you can make it work.
The enclosure also has the HDCP handshake chip that none of regular enclosures do.

Diogen.

The connector on the drive is a mini atapi port, mainly used on laptop drives and there is an IDE adapter available for internal pc pinouts.

But I digress.

You can very easily just use this Slim ATAPI to Standard ATAPI Adapter, for using a laptop CDROM/DVD/CDRW in a standard slim drive bay-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

I was over simplifying it earlier. I apologize for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts