HD-DVD Player - Upconverting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

keno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
I currently own a Samsung HD-931 DVD player. It’s a great unit, except my projector (Sanyo PLV-70) is not HDCP compliant through the DVI. Therefore, I cannot take advantage of up-converting the DVD signal from 480i resolution to 720p or 1080i. (I have to use Component input). The picture with the Samsung HD-931 is very good for a DVD player, but after watching true High Definition TV, it’s just not the same. And, yes, I understand this up-converting of the DVD signal is not as good as HDTV quality. But anything is better then 480p or 480i.

Now, the Momitsu DVD-V880N comes along. Has anyone tried this DVD player? It sounds incredible. I know there a few standalone DVD players that can produce resolutions in the HDTV range, 720p and 1080i, but all of these (including the Samsung-931) rely on DVI and HDCP. According to Momitsu, the Momitsu DVD player will allow you to:

1) Turn off the Macrovision Copy Protection (HDCP);
2) Up-convert (720p or 1080i) using Component inputs (or DVI), and
3) Set it for Multiregional (will read all regions).

Other features of the Momitsu which are also incredible are:

1) Can network through your home computer using a 10/100 wired or 802.11b wireless network compatibility via optional PCMCIA card. This means I can stream my Apple iPod music (or Web music) through the DVD player or stream DivX movies to the DVD player;
2) Uses digital audio connections and supports DTS; and
3) Support MPEG-4 movies.

This is the only DVD player I am aware of that allow the user to turn off Macrovision Copy Protection. Does anyone own one of these units? And if so, what are your impressions of this unit?

Beware, players like the LG/Zenith DVB-318 and Momitsu, have reall taken a bashing from the film industry. Component upscale is short lived, and generally has disappeared for HDCP DVD's with the most current firmware releases.

I am still under the impression, that some adapter should allow your DVI and HDMI to play well together.

Thanks for the reply. I broke down and ordered the DVD player. It arrived "overnight" service. Indeed, the Macrovision copy protection is turned off and regional code settings are turned off, right out of the box. It does exactly what they say it will do. Using Component input to my projector, the DVD picture is indeed upscaled to 1080i. All my DVDs now take on new life. Comparing the picture quality to Voom's HD cinema 10 movies vs the picture quality from a DVD using Momitsu DVD-V880N, it looks exactly the same. Fantastic quality for a DVD. Then I put in a Superbit DVD and wow! So much detail that was lost.

I haven't tried the network feature yet. I need to get a WiFi card for the unit. Hopefully, it will work and I can stream the DivX movies and Ipod music files to my system downstairs.

Quote: "Beware, players like the LG/Zenith DVB-318 and Momitsu, have reall taken a bashing from the film industry."

Bash all they want. :p

mee too

JOHNnDENVER said:
Beware, players like the LG/Zenith DVB-318 and Momitsu, have reall taken a bashing from the film industry. Component upscale is short lived, and generally has disappeared for HDCP DVD's with the most current firmware releases.

I am still under the impression, that some adapter should allow your DVI and HDMI to play well together.
I just bought a new Denon DVD player with upconversion, except my mits doesn't accept DVI. Is there an adapter that will allow me to take dvi to component? What can I do?

To the poster that mentioned if there was an adapter for DVI and HDMI to play well together there is a such cable. I have to use one so my D* HD Receiver which is DVI can connect to my HDMI input on my TV.

What he was referring to was HDCP, which his new DVD player solves.

I personally think the film industry and record industry are getting out of hand with these copyright issues.

Iceman said:
I just bought a new Denon DVD player with upconversion, except my mits doesn't accept DVI. Is there an adapter that will allow me to take dvi to component? What can I do?

You can make me a great deal on your Denon :yes

I tried the ATI DVI to Y,Pr,Pb no luck I also tried a DVI to vga adapter & still no go I attempted to use them with a Samsung 841 DVD.

The DVI to VGA and DVI to component converters work using the analog video signal from a DVI-A or (more likely) DVI-I video source. Additionally the DVI to Component converters need a video source that can send a Y Pr Pb signal over the analog connection instead of the normal RGB.

K R Kimmel said:
The DVI to VGA and DVI to component converters work using the analog video signal from a DVI-A or (more likely) DVI-I video source. Additionally the DVI to Component converters need a video source that can send a Y Pr Pb signal over the analog connection instead of the normal RGB.
Where can I get DVI to Component converter?

As I said the DVI to Component converters need a source capable of outputting Y Pr Pb from a DVI-I connector. That's pretty much limited to certain computer video cards. The converters are either included with the card or available for purchase from the manufacturer (and possibly the retailer selling the card).

PLV-75 is shipping and is HDCP compliant!

Hi:

I've tried the Momitsu DVD upconversion and the OPPO player with decent results, but there is nothing like 1080i coming from the source straight into the projector!
I broke down and sold my PLV-70, and purchased a new PLV-75 that is HDCP compliant and was amazed that it handles ANY signal from the HD-DVD player, all HDMI or DVI signals from all players, plus using any of the HDMI switchers from Zektor perfectly.
Because of the HDCP detection, switching is sometimes delayed an extra second or so, but it works great!

After upgrading to the PLV-75, I thought the projector would be identical with only a chip change upgrade, but I was very surprised that there were numerous updates.
The 2200 lumens SEEM to be brighter in the update. The new on screen menus are much easier to navigate and have more features. They have changed the THP 200watt bulb to a different design. I hope this may extend the life cycle. OH, and I love the new remote. They have redesigned the arrow buttons and improved it to a five star, easy to use in one hand unit.

The PLV-75 just started shipping to the US in July 06.

I have used the older PLV-70 for three years, gone through 5 bulbs and really enjoyed it, but if you want to cut through all the HDCP mess, upgrade to the new PLV-75 and I think you will be as tickled as I am with the results. After having a few local Hi-Def nuts over to my home theater, I always get the "What projector are you using, that's an incredible picture" comment, I'm sold on this unit for the projection size I'm at. I've been using a 138" wide matte white screen in a 1500 sq ft room and the blacks are acceptable, the whites are incredible and the color and sharpness are as good as I've seen on higher priced projectors.

We got so excited about the new PLV-75, we had to go out and upgrade out theater seats to "butt shakers" and another amplifier for the second sub channel.

LOVE IT!

Anybody else testing the new PLV-75? It would be great to hear other comments on this projector.

dcarney:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts