HD DVD recorders???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't think there are any recorders out there yet. It's the one legitimate advantage BR has, as BR burners are easy to find. They even have BR-RW/HD-ROM combo drives, but they don't burn HD DVD either!

-John

There was a press release (last week I think) that someone was coming out with one and of course recordable media. The details escape me at the moment on the recorder, but

Ritek, the Taiwan-based maker of optical discs, has secured certification for blank 2x HD DVD-R (recordable, write once) discs. The company had already achieved certification for its 1x HD DVD-R and 1x HD DVD-RW (rewritable) discs in May this year

In addition to the HD DVD format, Ritek has obtained certification for blank BD (Blu-ray Disc)-R discs, while CMC Magnetics, the largest Taiwan-based maker, received the same certification earlier in late April of this year, the sources indicated. Japan-based Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM), Matsushita Electric Industrial (with Panasonic as brand name) & TDK were the first three recipients of such BD-R disc certification, the sources noted.

Although India-based Moser Baer India (MBI) has announced it expects to start volume production of HD DVD-R discs in September 2007, the company has not yet obtained certification, the sources pointed out.

So, soon should be the answer..

Is there any decent Software out there that could bridge this gap? Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! They run a great site here ... l

When one is available it will eliminate the need to ever but a standalone BD player.
BD drive, read ,rip, burn VC-1 to HD DVD.

...BD drive, read ,rip, burn VC-1 to HD DVD.
If you plan to use an HD player other than a PC, it won't quite work this way:

- BD uses transport streams, HD - program streams
- VBV (buffer) on those is different
- GOP structure is not the same (number of B-frames)

Microsoft has a tool to convert HD VC-1 to BD VC-1 but it is available only to studios (Warner and Paramount use it).

If you rip just the movie (or rip and re-encode to get rid of the stupid bitrate PCM audio takes up) and play it on an HTPC - it will work just fine.

Diogen.

If you plan to use an HD player other than a PC, it won't quite work this way:

- BD uses transport streams, HD - program streams
- VBV (buffer) on those is different
- GOP structure is not the same (number of B-frames)

Microsoft has a tool to convert HD VC-1 to BD VC-1 but it is available only to studios (Warner and Paramount use it).

If you rip just the movie (or rip and re-encode to get rid of the stupid bitrate PCM audio takes up) and play it on an HTPC - it will work just fine.

Diogen.
I would think that eventually software like videoRedo would solve this so you could recode to HD DVD bitrate but the HTPC is looking better all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts