HD DVD Scorecard on delivery by rental giants.

swade

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Netflix OK! :up

BLOCKBUSTER NIX! :mad:

My initial order of HDDVD shows long wait from Blockbuster with no delivery of HDDVD this week.

Netflix delivered everyone I asked for (2 for 2) within 1 day. I got Doom & Phantom of the Opera.

Sanme ones with Blockbuster gets long wait.

BAd news is Netflix says they do not have an availablilty date for Batman Beginns, Connstantine, but Fugitive and U571 are to be available next Tuesday,

Cinderella Man is listed as available on Netflix but as a long wait with blockbuster.

I wonder what everyone else is finding out on these venders. :devil:

I'm a current Netflix and previous Blockbuster user. I've probably been sent 6 titles so far. Only problem was with Jarhead and that appears to be a software issue. It's really hard to compare wait times because Netflix can throttle you(control delivery and release times). Yesterday they sent me Just a Rumor (which sad it had a long wait). I'm wondering if they sent it in SD. Hope not. If you time your deliveries right you can get the movies when they release. Otherwise there may be a wait. I like Netflix better than Blockbuster.

teamerickson said:
I'm a current Netflix and previous Blockbuster user. I've probably been sent 6 titles so far. If you time your deliveries right you can get the movies when they release. Otherwise there may be a wait. I like Netflix better than Blockbuster.

I've been sent 5 HD DVD titles so far and yes, the only problem was with Jarhead, which seems to be a software issue. That's my ploy, too - I move the Tues. new HD DVD release to the top of my queue and return discs to them on Monday. I got FMJ & Unforgiven shipped out on the first day of release. But then, Just Rumor is the only one showing up as "long wait".
I watched Unforgive last night. Wow! Perfect transfer to HD DVD, the PQ was so perfectly clear I thought I was watching it in a cinema, just on a slightly smaller screen. :up

So, has anyone received any HD DVDs from Blockbuster yet?

Net flix 3 Blockbuster 0

Ilya said:
So, has anyone received any HD DVDs from Blockbuster yet?

I understand Blockbuster decided to carry HD DVD late and have not geared up for it. Everthing I have ordered is a long wait.

Netflix is batting 100% within 2 - 3 days of my order. :confused:

I wanted to give Blockbuster a try, but I guess I will stick with NetFlix for now.

I have gotten Jarhead, Full Metal Jacket, Rumor Has It, Million Dollar Baby, and Serenity and so far i have had no problems with any of them.

jgags6 said:
I have gotten Jarhead, Full Metal Jacket, Rumor Has It, Million Dollar Baby, and Serenity and so far i have had no problems with any of them.
From NetFlix or from Blockbuster?

New score 3 for 3 Netflix & 1 for 3 Blockbuster

I rec'd Phantom, Doom, & cinderella man from Netflix

Blockbuster is sending me Apollo 13.

Phantom & Doom worked fin but I did not like to forced prview in beginning of Phantom.

Interestingly I found a better picture with 1080i output than with my projector's native 720p output. My infocus 7205 zooms the picture in making it a 1.85 like aspect ratio filling up my screen. The detail remained good. Switching to the widescreen setting the bars return. Now either way is good since the screen is 12 x 6.5 feet. Even being so big the picture was sharp.

For the most part, the only responce here has been Netflix. Anyone order 3 HDDVDs from Blockbuster and get all 3 within 3 days of the order?

:D

Blockbuster getting better

swade said:
I rec'd Phantom, Doom, & cinderella man from Netflix

Blockbuster is sending me Apollo 13.

Phantom & Doom worked fin but I did not like to forced prview in beginning of Phantom.

Interestingly I found a better picture with 1080i output than with my projector's native 720p output. My infocus 7205 zooms the picture in making it a 1.85 like aspect ratio filling up my screen. The detail remained good. Switching to the widescreen setting the bars return. Now either way is good since the screen is 12 x 6.5 feet. Even being so big the picture was sharp.

For the most part, the only responce here has been Netflix. Anyone order 3 HDDVDs from Blockbuster and get all 3 within 3 days of the order?

Rec'd my second blockbuster HDDVD and it was a new release, Van Helsing.

Blockbuster 0 out of 3 Netflix 3 out of 3

swade said:
Rec'd my second blockbuster HDDVD and it was a new release, Van Helsing.

I just openned the two blockbuster HDDVD's and they are standard DVD versions of the programs.

Has anyone gotten a HDDVD from Blockbuster?????

teamerickson said:
Try to have them arrive to Netflix on Monday and they will send out on Monday. Sorry if you already know that.

No, I didn't think of that, thanks!;) Makes sense - when I pre-order new releases they're generally shipped on Mondays. I'll try that with Netflix.

swade said:
I just openned the two blockbuster HDDVD's and they are standard DVD versions of the programs. Has anyone gotten a HDDVD from Blockbuster?????

Just curious - have you checked your BB queue? There's quite a thread on AVSforum about BB members having all their HD DVD's in their queue being re-set to the SD DVD version several times.

Not to push Netflix over BB (I don't stock in either ;) ), but it sounds like BB really missed the boat on this one. With Netflix your had to go through a rather lengthy process to "enable" your account for HD DVD. There were several pages explaining that HD DVD was a new technology & you needed an HD DVD player, that HD DVD's would not play on standard DVD players. Then more pages explaining that you needed a HD capable TV, explaining what that meant, and then another page explaining about HDMI / DVI cable connection. Finally you had to click & confirm "Yes, I have an HD DVD player; Yes, I have a HDTV; & Yes, I have the right cabling". Then your account was enabled for HD DVD's and you can browse them as a separate genre. Without enabling your account for HD DVD you're not able to add HD DVD's to your queue.

As I understand it, BB never went through any enabling / pre-qualifaction process for HD DVD - the HD titles just started showing up along with regular DVD's. What I think happened is some uninformed consumers (the infamous Joe 6 Pack :D ) started seeing HD DVD listings and thought "Oh hell, I might as well get that DVD in HD - I heard something somewhere that HD is supposed to be better." And then they got all p*ssed off when the HD DVD wouldn't play in their $39.95 Apex DVD player. So, BB decided to re-set all HD DVD's in customer's Q to the SD version and make the customer re-set it to HD a couple of times to make sure they really understood the difference. Seems kinda a half-as*ed way of trying to fix an oversight.

You would think someone at BB corp. would keep a Netflix account just to keep an eye on what the competition is doing. I'll bet you can find a few HD DVD players somewhere deep inside Sony's research center. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for info on Blockbuster

I found that in the last two days they did change all my sellections. I have reported the wrong disk was sent and asked for the next selction which will repeat my order. I sent them a anoying Email which will of course be ignored. I updated my queue again for a HDDVD disk only. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I do read the AV site but have not checked it since Monday and then I was looking for comments on the player.

I did not find the netflix process so troublesome as I remember I could skip the lecture and move on. I did it again to be sure going directly to my profile. That way is direct no fluff. I like that you can request that a HD DVD is sent over a standard DVD. SO ordering future relesases generically that are not in HD section now in theory will be switched to HDDVD if available.

At least that is my take on it. :hungry:

swade said:

Blockbuster rocks. Reactivated my account on Thursday. Ordered my first 3 HD DVDs on Thursday. Recieved one on friday and 2 on saturday. Thats 3 in 2 days.

Blockbuster has turned anew leaf.

vurbano said:
Blockbuster rocks. Reactivated my account on Thursday. Ordered my first 3 HD DVDs on Thursday. Recieved one on friday and 2 on saturday. Thats 3 in 2 days.

After the crummy deal they did a week a
go reversing everyone's order (see 2 comments about) they are now shipping out the goods.

I have received 2 for 2 ordered.

However, Netflix have been doing this all along. They have emailed me that they are sending me Firewall HDDVD tomorrow a day before it is released.

Besides myself, yours is about the only favorable Blockbus:up ter report i have heard.

1st TV spot for Bluray DVD - Underworld Evolution

Whatever happened to SACD and DVD-Audio?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts