HD DVD starting to out sell BD head to head.

Did anyone read the article? The 55:45 was an estimate by Universal based on sales rankings on Amazon!

In other words we looked at one retailer, looked at their sales ranking tool every day for a week and estimated what the sales ratio would be and published it because we liked the number since we are HD-DVD promoters from the beginning.

What we need to see are the real videoscan or neilson numbers, or even numbers from Warner that tell what really is going on. Maybe it is a bigger win for HD-DVD or maybe BD really won the title.

That claim matches information gathered from Amazon.com sales rankings in recent weeks.

Did anyone read the article? The 55:45 was an estimate by Universal based on sales rankings on Amazon!

In other words we looked at one retailer, looked at their sales ranking tool every day for a week and estimated what the sales ratio would be and published it because we liked the number since we are HD-DVD promoters from the beginning.

What we need to see are the real videoscan or neilson numbers, or even numbers from Warner that tell what really is going on. Maybe it is a bigger win for HD-DVD or maybe BD really won the title.

Now you have done it. You are being much to logical for either side to understand.

Countdown until Vurbano complains you're spreading FUD. 3...2...1... :D

That's another reason we need to know how many units were sold, not just a ratio.

So what's your point more blu fud!!:)D joke) Those numbers look GREAT to every Red Smurf! :D:up

Countdown until Vurbano complains you're spreading FUD. 3...2...1... :D

That's another reason we need to know how many units were sold, not just a ratio.

I agree. There are way to many fuzzy numbers out there. This is an economist's worst nightmare.

Just curious were does it show that the BOGO's count in the total sale numbers. Not saying it doesn't but just wondering.

SInce when have BD's numbers sold been meaningful? Not since the first BOGO, IMO. Buy one get one should never count as two sold.

Nor should the 10 Blue ray with a Ps3 from thanksgiving. :D

stuff like this on both sides (though more prevalent on the blue side) really makes this war hard to determine.

Also makes it hard to go to the simple economical model and make a best guess.

:D

My personal theory is that track records will prevail over the long run.

Sonys Track record for Video media format < Toshiba's

Just curious were does it show that the BOGO's count in the total sale numbers. Not saying it doesn't but just wondering.

Look at your BOGO receipts they ring it up as a sale then discount it. Both sides to this just it has been more prevalent for blue.

That way they get added to the number of sold copies.
:)

Look at your BOGO receipts they ring it up as a sale then discount it. Both sides to this just it has been more prevalent for blue.

That way they get added to the number of sold copies.
:)
BOGO has been almost exclusively a BD numbers skewing tactic until recently.

BOGO has been almost exclusively a BD numbers skewing tactic until recently.

On this one we agree. I would think Fox and Disney aren't too happy about that even though we know the BDA footed the bill for that. Blu's extra DRM keeps them happy though.

I like how Ken Graffeo alluded to the BOGO's in the article.

These new box-office hits are not normally included in the primarily catalog ‘buy one, get one free’ deals. Popular with BD studios, these BOGO deals are enticing because consumers get two titles for 50% off the original price. But there is a question of how long studios can continue to support these promotions as they bring in considerably less money than regualarly-priced titles would.
“I think the fourth quarter is going to be interesting,” said Graffeo. “If you break out the hits, I think we will be even. But the aggressive discounting, with catalog [of buy one, get one free offers], can inflate the numbers.”

This is a surprisingly even article though. It mentions the discounts in hardware on the HD-DVD side (soon obsolescent 1.0 Blu) as a counterpoint to the BD discounts on the software side.

Again, there's no numbers there. :rolleyes:

Did they sell 95 total copies? 75,000? 200,000?

I'm just curious how well the Potter films actually sold. I don't know anyone that bought them in either format (or DVD for that matter).

It would be nice to have the Borne trilogy though. Definitely a great release for the HD-DVD crowd.

Bought all 5 on HDDVD

This article originated from Universal Studios. And when the Nielson numbers come out and what this article states is shown to be true then HD-DVD supporters should be happy. But as I have purchased the entire BD 5 movie HP set where does my purchase come in here? I guess because I chose to buy the set and not the single movie that my purchase did not count.

The other interesting thing is that Universal is not using same day sales figures here, they are comparing Borne's release to simularly high profile releases from the BD camp. Did HD-DVD even win the week? My guess is that they did not.

Did the HD-DVD 5 movie HP set outsell the 5 movie HP BD set? My guess is no on that one too. Let's look again after 3 weeks and see if the HD-DVD release is still leading BD in numbers on the single title.

I have said time and time again, this is a long race, one title does well does not mean the whole world just shifted -- especially when you are talking from the seats in the back.

JoeSP-"But as I have purchased the entire BD 5 movie HP set where does my purchase come in here?"

The same for HD DVD supporters who got the 5 disk set that being said the 55% lead for HD DVD shouldn't be questioned.

Joe are you implying that if a person wanted to buy the HP box set they would go BD, and if that same person changed their mind and decided just to get the single disk they would then go HD DVD???

I ask this because in your post you "guessed" that HD DVD did not out sell them for the box set, but clearly HD DVD is out selling them 55% to 45% for the single disk.

JoeSP-"But as I have purchased the entire BD 5 movie HP set where does my purchase come in here?"

The same for HD DVD supporters who got the 5 disk set that being said the 55% lead for HD DVD shouldn't be questioned.

Joe are you implying that if a person wanted to buy the HP box set they would go BD, and if that same person changed their mind and decided just to get the single disk they would then go HD DVD???

I ask this because in your post you "guessed" that HD DVD did not out sell them for the box set, but clearly HD DVD is out selling them 55% to 45% for the single disk.
I don't know how the did for the week but a couple times when I looked at Amazon's ranking the BD set for HP outranked the HD-dvd set and Both formats of HD single copies of HP:OOTP

Amazon's numbers as shown in the hourly graph for the last 14 days(referenced to in one of the posts) also show some odd results, with BD leading much of time but initially with HD-DVD leading. So we really need to see some total numbers for last week and this week.

ps: Anyone know how they count advanced orders? I preordered my BD set months ago and it was only shipped after 12/15.

Was the article updated at some point, or do HD DVD boosters have really have such incredible reading comprehension failure? (Edit - Apparently, the article was corrected at some point according to the comments Talkback on Video Business Online )

The article clearly states the Blu-Ray of OotP outsold the HD DVD 55 to 45.

"Additionally, notes Universal research, Warner Home Video’s HD DVD release of Order of the Phoenix is nearly even with sales of its BD version, managing a 45 to 55 ratio."

Last edited:
Ok, so I went to the "graf" at HighDefDigest per the OP's second link and this is what I found for the last two weeks. BR seems to really be outpacing HD-DVD since the 19th.

hp%20op.JPG

This morning I check on Amazon and the HD-DVD HP was ranked 180 while the BD version was ranked 145. Does not the lower number mean that more sales of that version was recorded by Amazon.COM? Maybe Universal's charts are like Sony's -- they fudge a little?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)