HD DVD Will win and this is why:

Even this will likely make me become an early adopter before a format winner emerges. Thanks for the link, I will drive by Wal-Mart after work tonight.

OOOPS! See it says its a Black Friday deal.. No going tonight to beat the crowd! Oh well!

So, now it is 4 times less than the cheapest BD player that's not on sale yet...

And now watch like the Blu boys come with their standard arguments "Cheap means crap","player sales means nothing",
"this is the best sign BD won", "Target endcaps are so much more important than Wally Mart", etc.

And JoeSp will father another thread "Does this war really heat up?" All in caps...

5...4...3...2...1... GO!

Diogen.

Bad news for Bluray. And after this Warner statement it could be the end of It. "If there is a significant spike in HD DVD software sales, the studio may cast its lot with that format"

So, now it is 4 times less than the cheapest BD player that's not on sale yet...

And now watch like the Blu boys come with their standard arguments "Cheap means crap","player sales means nothing",
"this is the best sign BD won", "Target endcaps are so much more important than Wally Mart", etc.

And JoeSp will father another thread "Does this war really heat up?" All in caps...

5...4...3...2...1... GO!

Diogen.

How about "desperate times calls for desperate measures":neener:neener

Sorry, way ahead on my brain calendar; was thinking this Friday was..... DAMN, more coffee needed. Thanks!

Add this to go with it for people without an HD display yet:

Optoma HD-70 - $579.99 ($26 +/- Ship) TODAY

Optoma HD70 Home Theater Projector

I would not expect after 8am that you will find any of this stuff. I bet people will be lined up waiting. And not just for the HDA2; that acer laptop for $400 is pretty damn cheap too.

This is a big step, I won't argue with that. Ultimately, though, you still have to wait and see if it results in more software sales. If someone was going to buy a regular DVD player and saw that, they might buy it instead (assuming they can actually find one on the shelf), but that doesn't mean the next time they go to buy a DVD that they're going to be willing to pay twice as much for it.

I still think whoever significantly drops movie prices first will win, and I think the BOGO stuff a couple weeks back proved it. If movie prices go down, people will buy more - period.

The A2 is just 1080i, right? From past experience, watching a BD or HD-DVD in 1080i is better than upconvert, but not that much if the upconvert is good...

Personally, I'd never buy BD or HD-DVD unless it was 1080p, but the average consumer probably won't know the difference, so this will make the gap between HD and BD players look larger. Maybe BD needs to come out with some entry-level 1080i players instead of being stuck on the 1080p thing.... as much as I can't stand the idea of so many people out there being stuck with inferior players and not really knowing the full benefit of these formats.

Seems like this might be part of why more players is not equating to more sales for HD-DVD - people are buying the cheap players and aren't seeing enough of a difference in the movies to make it worth buying them...

The A2 is just 1080i, right? From past experience, watching a BD or HD-DVD in 1080i is better than upconvert, but not that much if the upconvert is good...
Oh, stop it! 1080i on any HD DVD player looks terrific! Way better than any HD channel on any sattellite or cable company! There is just no comparison!!!

And unless both your player and the TV set can support 24 fps, there is no advantage in sending 1080p60 vs. 1080i60 (if the original source is 1080p24). Both data streams carry exact same information! This has been discussed to death, already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)