HD DVR Info Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

USAF-RET

Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Hello to the group. I'm a first time poster, just joined today.

I've had Dish for years with standard TV, but it's time to completely cut the cord. I'm strongly considering Direct TV (may sign up today) to support my new HD TV sets. I have a question about connecting an HD DVR (model unknown as of yet) to more than one TV.

I need to connect a single HD DVR so I can view HD on either of two TVs without connecting and disconnecting cables each time. Is this doable? As I don't have the receiver yet, I have no idea the number or type outputs available. Both TVs have HDMI and S-Video connections (one TV is approximately 20 feet away).

I've seen HDMI switches that connect multiple sources to a single output, but never seen one for a single input to multiple outputs. Is there such a beast? If so, any idea where I could get one and the cost?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Yes you can do it. You can use the HDMI cable for one TV, the component outputs for another.

You can also do more Tvs in SD using the svideo and rca outputs.

All TVs will be one channel, same program. If you're only watching one thing but want it everywhere in the house that would work good.

There are component & HDMI splitters if you want to go that route. Check out monoprice.com

WELCOME to the site!

You mentioned signing up today, check out the referral thread to save $50, if you don't have one already from family/friend.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-referals-get-50-off-new-directv-service.html

I've had Dish for years with standard TV, but it's time to completely cut the cord. I'm strongly considering Direct TV (may sign up today) to support my new HD TV sets. I have a question about connecting an HD DVR (model unknown as of yet) to more than one TV.

I need to connect a single HD DVR so I can view HD on either of two TVs without connecting and disconnecting cables each time. Is this doable? As I don't have the receiver yet, I have no idea the number or type outputs available. Both TVs have HDMI and S-Video connections (one TV is approximately 20 feet away).

I've seen HDMI switches that connect multiple sources to a single output, but never seen one for a single input to multiple outputs. Is there such a beast? If so, any idea where I could get one and the cost?

I use the manual one from monoprice and it works either way 1x2 or 2x1. I'm not sure about the 4x1 with remote.

You know, I'd suggest thinking about just multiple HD DVR's. We had one of those one-receiver-does-two-house-locations in the pre-HDTV days (meaning a couple months ago). We just went with three HR-21's. Installation was free so fussing with the cables wasn't a problem (and they do it amazingly quickly where in an hour they'd do what it'd have taken me days). Costs a little more up front, but not much different monthly and it's nice that we can record two channels on any of three DVRs -- as well as no more fussing between the two TV's that used to be on the same receiver (and the remote one had lower quality video, something that no longer is the case -- all three now have HDTV available over HDMI now).

Actually, you're right on the mark. I guess a little better explanation is in order. Currently, we have a non-HD setup with two DVRs. They set side by side. We'll call them "his" and "hers" for obvious reasons. Overlapping programs dictate that we have two recorders. She watches reality TV, soppy movies, ongoing programs etc. He (that would be me) watches History Channel, Football, Racing (F-1), Discovery Channel and a few movies.

With the setup we have now, we use RF receiver/transmitters to "shoot" the signals into the computer room, bedroom, and sewing room and either DVR can connect to the "big" TV via the surround sound receiver.

We can't afford a new surround sound receiver at present (gotta save up for April 15th) and for HD we need a hardwire connection. "His" will be hardwired to the "big" TV and also to the bedroom TV. "Hers" will be hardwired to the "big" TV and both will still use the RF "shooters" to shoot the signals into the computer and family rooms where we don't need and can't use an HD signal.

Thanks to this thread, I now know that the HD DVRs have both HDMI and component outputs which takes care of hardwiring to two different TVs and also composit outputs which will take care of the "shooters". Now the only problem is to find a long enough component cable to get to the bedroom before the installer gets here on Sunday.

:D

Actually, you're right on the mark. I guess a little better explanation is in order. Currently, we have a non-HD setup with two DVRs. They set side by side. We'll call them "his" and "hers" for obvious reasons. Overlapping programs dictate that we have two recorders. She watches reality TV, soppy movies, ongoing programs etc. He (that would be me) watches History Channel, Football, Racing (F-1), Discovery Channel and a few movies.

With the setup we have now, we use RF receiver/transmitters to "shoot" the signals into the computer room, bedroom, and sewing room and either DVR can connect to the "big" TV via the surround sound receiver.

We can't afford a new surround sound receiver at present (gotta save up for April 15th) and for HD we need a hardwire connection. "His" will be hardwired to the "big" TV and also to the bedroom TV. "Hers" will be hardwired to the "big" TV and both will still use the RF "shooters" to shoot the signals into the computer and family rooms where we don't need and can't use an HD signal.

Thanks to this thread, I now know that the HD DVRs have both HDMI and component outputs which takes care of hardwiring to two different TVs and also composit outputs which will take care of the "shooters". Now the only problem is to find a long enough component cable to get to the bedroom before the installer gets here on Sunday.

:D

For only $34.11 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 100FT 5-RCA Component Video/Audio 20AWG Coax Cable (RG-59/U) | 5-RCA Component Video Cable

This is the longest one Monoprice sells, 100', they also have 50' and shorter.

I've been looking at their site. I'm going to wait and see what the installer can do for me when he gets here. If he can't give me cables long enough (about 35') then I'll order on line from monoprice. If I'd had more lead time, I would have ordered already, but they gave me a quick install date.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)