HD-DVR Installation Basics

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ret_AF_Techie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
OK, so I've read many of the other posts in this forum and gleaned a ton of information and want to confirm what I think I've learned before I start drilling holes in my home.
I have been with D* for an eternity and had been very happy with my standard receiver and a first-gen Sony Rcvr/Tivo unit (signal via 3LNB dish). I recently acquired a HR10-250 and I'm going to replace standard rcvr with it. My problem is that I only have single coax (RG-6) lines in my prewired home and everything I've read here tells me that I MUST have 2 seperate lines from the multiswitch at the dish to the receiver. No splitters, no diplexers, no nothing! Do I have that right? I don't relish the work involved in running additional lines and want to be certain it has to be done.
While I've got you...is a 5LNB dish a necessity for HD programming (local channels for Baltimore area-21076)?
Thanks in advance!

2 lines are required only if you want to fully utilize the capabilities of your DVR such as recording one show while watching another. The AT9 dish is really only required if you want your locals in HD and you have the H20 or plan to get the HR20 when it is released in a few weeks. If you have an antenna that can pick up your digital locals you can hook that up to your HR10 to get the same functionality for now. You don't really need to run a 3rd line for the OTA signal, you can still diplex it in with one of your sat lines; if you upgrade to one of the new MPEG4 receivers, diplexing OTA is no longer a choice. However, all future HD channels are going to be in MPEG4 and require the AT9 and one of the newer HD receivers.

Yes, you do need two separate lines running directly from the LNB's to operate both tuners at the same time. Sorry. I tried diplexers and splitters, hoping I was smarter than the instruction manual. I wasn't. :)

Ok, I'll throw my $.02 in.

Prior to my AT-9 upgrade I had a 3 LNB dish, 2 tivo's an H-10 and 2 SD boxes.

I had a Zinwell powered 4x8 multi-switch installed. All 3 lines from the LNB's into the switch and then fed all of my boxes.

Both tivo's had two lines and single lines to the other boxes and everything worked just fine.

Currently with the AT-9 I have a non powered Zinwell 6x8 switch feeding 2 tivo's, an H-20, an H-10 and 2 SD receivers. Everything is working just fine.

I am running completly separate cabling from my rooftop antenna to each of my 5 TV's and the H-20. Longest run of OTA cable is 60' from the roof to the basement distribution.

It also depends on your programming needs. You could move the tivo to the standard and use a cheap 2x4 switch behind your box to get the two tuners working. It depends on what sat your locals and programming is coming in on. All of mine are on 101 so I just ran the setup and told the dirctivo that I was using a round 2lnb dish and it works fine. You can of course set it up to use one input. IMHO half a tivo is better than a std receiver.
Good luck.
John

I may be wrong but for any HD receiver (or SD) you cannot use diplexors for anything but ota atenna signals. I use the a switch behind two of my SD directivos. But you cannot pass anything but the 101 sat. You cannot pass along the HD signal. But my programming and locals were all on 101 so I got everything. You could do this to limit running new lines but to the HD receivers to save time and effort. The switches were also on sale at Dishstore.net for $5. So cheaper and easier than running new cable under my house.
John

It appears that if you do not care about watching and recording different programs, only one of the inputs is needed. Here is the description in the HR20 owner's manual of the 2 satellite inputs:

SATELLITE IN 2 – Use to connect the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to the satellite dish antenna.

SATELLITE IN 1 (FTM) – Use to connect the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR to a second LNB
on the satellite dish antenna, giving you the ability to watch and record up to three programs at once (two from the satellite, and one from the Off -Air In). If your installation includes an FTM (Frequency Translator Module), connect the FTM output to this input. FTM is a technology that allows multiple tuners to work with a single satellite input. (FTM support may require a software upgrade. Ask your DIRECTV Installer for details.)

mcbeevee said:
If your installation includes an FTM (Frequency Translator Module), connect the FTM output to this input. FTM is a technology that allows multiple tuners to work with a single satellite input. (FTM support may require a software upgrade. Ask your DIRECTV Installer for details.)[/I][/B]

Is this code name for a stacker/de-stacker, or has D* done something that we don't know about???

Upgrade Lately? said:
Is this code name for a stacker/de-stacker, or has D* done something that we don't know about???
I remember reading about the FTM in the D* press release of upcoming features. I just know that it is a way to split the coax feed from the dish near the receiver. One thing about the DVR's that I've never been clear on...do you have to pay an extra $5/mth for hooking up the 2nd input?? :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)