HD DVR with OTA?

tidwelp

Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Hello-

I am looking to buy an HD DVR and want to use OTA to get Hdef programming. I currently have Dishnetwork and considered buying the 921 but I have heard that they plan to change the format from Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4. As I understand it this will make the 921 obsolete. Do you have any suggestions for a HD DVR with OTA capabilities. I would also like to be able to get the programming information in a schedule like the Dishnetwork program guide.

Please note that I have the 501 and 301 currently.

Your help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul

tidwelp said:
Hello-

I am looking to buy an HD DVR and want to use OTA to get Hdef programming. I currently have Dishnetwork and considered buying the 921 but I have heard that they plan to change the format from Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4. As I understand it this will make the 921 obsolete. Do you have any suggestions for a HD DVR with OTA capabilities. I would also like to be able to get the programming information in a schedule like the Dishnetwork program guide.

Please note that I have the 501 and 301 currently.

Your help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Paul

I'm sure others will chime in and many will dispute what I say. I had a 501 for 4 years, rock solid. I am on second 921 in 6 weeks and that one is is dying a slow death (lockups, HDD appears to be crashing) and many of the same issues the first 921 had. Sure the picture is great "when" the darn thing works. I have had to unplug and reboot the 2 921s at least once a week. My 501 was unplugged twice in 4 years, once to reboot it and the second time to pull it out for the 921. Dish tech support on the 921 is horrible and wait times suck. My 921 is going back I am taking a refund and getting their leased 510 for $0 up front and $5 a month. In 6-12 months when Dish and Directv get their MPEG4 story striaght and determine what HD value they will provide I will switch then, if cable hasn't passed them up. If you really want HD now from what I have been reading it looks like the Directv Tivo HD is far more reliable and functional than the 921! Scan this forum and look at all the 921 issues, and sure some have no problems, but even when I do geta decent Dish Tech Support person they eventually confess that they are having more than average problems with this junk. I was thinking 522 as a stop gap but they want $49 for receiver and then $50 to install, I don't need an install, but they won't do it any other way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)