Hd Dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BMcKen1912

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Mississippi
I was looking to upgrade to a HD DVR before the World Cup so I could record the games and still be able to watch them in HD. I was hoping to not have to spend a whole lot of money on it.

I thought with Direct TV that I could upgrade for cheaper but on their website they say it is $499.00 to upgrade to the HD DVR. Is there anyway I could get it cheaper or maybe get one from somewhere else?

Any help would be appreciated..thanks :)

Best bet it to call retention and see if you can get a deal out of them. They are charging $499 up front to lease the box, you can no longer buy it outright. You don't get any money back when you return it either.

I called them yesterday and got the HD DVR for $299 and free installation. My guess is they are giving the $200 instant rebate/credit to coincide with what I believe is a similar deal that Dish is ramping up.

Hey ...BMcKen1912 i am tring to do the same thing as far as watching the world cup.i recently got the directv dvr for that purpose ,i was planning to record the games on the dvr ,then transfer them to a dvr recorder . have a hdtv but i am not worried about watching it in hd though...my main concern is buying a decent dvd recorder maybe with a hard drive to transfer the games...with 64 games & with only 100 hrs on the directv dvr, it's going to take up a lot of space...i am just not sure which dvd rec to get since i have never own one before....?/

I would just wait for the ka/ku compatible hd-dvr comin in fall, but thats me and i know it doesnt help your current situation.

VagiDirecTV said:
I would just wait for the ka/ku compatible hd-dvr comin in fall, but thats me and i know it doesnt help your current situation.

No one knows for sure if it's even coming this fall... There should be some upgrade path from the current model to the new one also.

have been debating with myself on whether to wait for the ka/ku this fall or whether i should jump in now (my wife keeps bugging me to get it now). But even at $299 will i be able to get the new model this fall at a straight trade or will i be paying a second time? any thoughts?

Try eBay, I purchased mine about 5 months ago for $325. No problems.

I thought that with Directv's crappy lease policy that no matter where you buy a Directv unit once you try to activate it then it becomes a "lease". So what is the lease deal?

Rhinoman said:
I thought that with Directv's crappy lease policy that no matter where you buy a Directv unit once you try to activate it then it becomes a "lease". So what is the lease deal?

It may not be easy, but if you buy one from newegg or ebay as a non-lease, you can still convince the csr to mark the receiever as bought not leased when you activate it.

I checked with Newegg.com and unfortunately they didn't have the R-10's. (BTW- Newegg has a cool site and great live chat with customer service)
They do have the HR10-250 (my #1 choice), but I can't spend that much dough.

I'm a little fearful of buying a unit off Ebay, but its good to know that the option exists.

So it will be either buy one from Walmart or Directv and get snagged with a two year commitment and the "privilege of leasing". I'd like to smack the idiot who came up with this lease idea.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts