HD DVR's and wiring (SWM)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I know with Dish Network on one coax is need from thr dish and it is split right at the box into two coax cables, BUT what about the HRxx for Directv? Also if I have 2-3 hd dvr's do they install the SWM or not?

You need to make sure the installation order lists SWM.

From what I've seen is don't trust what the DirecTV CSR's say about this, you need to call the company contracted with that does the installs and verify with them exactly what's on the order they received.

From what I've seen is don't trust what the DirecTV CSR's say about this, you need to call the company contracted with that does the installs and verify with them exactly what's on the order they received.

How do you find out who the company contracted is?

Chances are high that it will be a SWM with 5 tuners, but not always. D* has told HSP (Install companies) that if the customer requests SWM with less than 6 Tuners to charge $129 for the SWM LNB and components. A lot of it also depends on what type of receivers the HSP has in stock at the time of the install.

So does 1 HD DVR count as 2 tuners and 3 hd dvr's is 6 tuners, so with 3 hd dvrs you should get one for sure?

Chances are high that it will be a SWM with 5 tuners, but not always. D* has told HSP (Install companies) that if the customer requests SWM with less than 6 Tuners to charge $129 for the SWM LNB and components. A lot of it also depends on what type of receivers the HSP has in stock at the time of the install.

Well now this is the first I've heard of this charge for less than 6 tuners thing. I have 5 tuners on my order and am wondering if I should just not request anything and hopefully they show up with the SWM, rather than calling and requesting one and being told "that will be $129". I suppose worst case if he shows up without one, I could just after the fact purchase a SWM-8 (I'm not going up on the roof, so a self-installed SWM-LNB is out of the question).

Curtishd - Yes on how to count tuners per HD DVR. As to whether or not you'll get SWM for sure, that I can't answer.

Dishhd - I hear you on the going on the roof business. It's not that I'm afraid of heights but there are limits. My dish is 30' up and you have to "stand" on a 12/12 pitched roof to service it. Why? Only place I could get LOS with my neighbors trees and the design of my house. Additionally, my Slimline has been up nearly two years and performs beautifully with 90+ signal strengths pretty much across the board, at least where it counts. I went with SWM-8 at my own expense rather than mess with a good dish in a difficult place to reach.

DirecTV's latest e-mail tells HSPs that any NEW install with five or more tuners (i.e. one that requires a multiswitch) should always use an SWM dish. Whether they have any way of enforcing this I do not know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts