HD Format Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

malacoma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
What do you guys think about setting the television to native format for each channel or leaving the television to one format? Does it affect the television at all? The picture seems to be about the same whether it's 1080i or 720p to me.

Not sure which forum to ask this so feel free to move it to the proper forum.

Some swear by and some swear at, native resolution. And how well it works for an individual is determined by what in the chain does the conversion. All HD tvs have a native resolution, so my 1080p panny plasma only shows 1080p regardless of what is being fed to it. What does change is how the conversion from the source to get that 1080p occurs.

Currently I have my HR24s set to 720p and have my AVR do a bit of video massaging, then the TV converts that to 1080p for presentation. To my eyes it seems the best overall picture and it does improve the SD for those few shows I watch in SD, quite a bit.

The disadvantage of 'native on' is that it slows down channel changes as the HDMI does its handshaking and the conversion switches to accomodate.

As stated, it kinda depends on what does it better. The display will take the incoming signal and display at its native rate. Ive always used native and original format, leaves it to one conversion, which is the display accepting 480i/720p/1080i and then displaying 1080p, as opposed to the Directv box doing one conversion, then another within the set.

I now have one of the new Oppo players, which can be used like a video processor, where you run a set top box into it and it then uses the on board Marvell chip to process the signal, like it would a blu-ray. So I have Directv still set to Native, and then the Oppo sending out 1080p/60 to my 1080p display.

My faith is, the top notch video processing of the Oppo will handle the conversion better than the display or broadcom chip in the HDDVR, but if anything it will do just as good a job.

I also have an AVR with an anchor bay chip, and in the past I found (to my eyes) the image looked better when when I used it to convert the Native Directv feed to 1080p for my display, instead of the display doing it. I had handshake problems, but the Oppo is doing it fine with no handshake issues.

Ive noticed the handshakes are less with Native on to my Oppo now, than the AVR. The AVR was a long delay, so I guess it also depends on the device. I've also gotten used to the slight delay, so I dont even much notice it anymore.

With my Samsung TV, I have it set to "off" and everything is 1080i from the receiver because it takes too long to change channels. I deal with the flashy stuff on the top of many SD shows and I feel the SD pic is better.

With my LG TV, I have it set to "on" and it looks better on this TV like that, and the channel doesn't take forever to change. AND SD channels can have the overscan on to chop off the flashy crap at the top of the screen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts