hd format

cappy29 said:
Which displays a better hd picture 720p or 1080i my tv can handle both and wasn't sure which one was better.

1080i has more resolution but is interlaced. 720p although a bit lower resolution is progressive.

Interlaced transmits every other line, requiring two scans for a complete picture. Progrssive transmits every line in one scan so it provides a sharper picture. This is evident in shows that have a lot of fast movement. Some people notice it, some don't.

I think the DTV standard is 720p.

I have tried both using DVI from my 811. The 1080i gives me the best overall picture. The 1080i just shows more detail. I suggest trying both and seeing for yourself.

Yeah, listen to the eyeball. Try them both out and pick the only you like best. If your Display is more native to one standard than the other, then that one should likely give your the best PQ.

bigthrust said:
I have tried both using DVI from my 811. The 1080i gives me the best overall picture. The 1080i just shows more detail. I suggest trying both and seeing for yourself.

I think this is going to be true regardless of your TV resolution for HD. In my experience, the 811 is not very good at downconverting 1080 to 720 (which is what it does when on 720p mode), My television does a much better job at downconverting the 1080i signal (my samsung is 720p native). It is a preference, but I have read a lot of posts about the 811 and it seems to be the concensus to pretty much leave it on 1080 and let you TV do the work behind the scenes if needed.

Thanks
Oak

What we need is for the 811 to do native pass through and have the TV do the work. Most of the TV's do a better job than the 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)