Hd homerun

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Do i need the hd homerun app for my smart tvs to use a homerun unit? I don't have internet access. I do have a router.

Not if your TV's do DLNA

Be careful with this though and read up as to exactly how the TV implements this feature if you're shopping for one. I got burned on this at Christmas. I bought a new Vizio TV for my office because it said it supported DLNA and casting/streaming. It does- but only if you're sending the video from a device that can see the TV as a DLNA receiver (which even my PC does not, sadly). It doesn't actually have an app to connect to DLNA sources even though it has one for about every other junk provider you can think of. LG TV's seem to be really good at this though- our bedroom TV is an LG and works great with the HDHomerun.

Reactions: primestar31
If you have an Amazon Fire Stick, the HD Homerun app works great on them. I have a couple of old HD Homerun Duals and the Firetv plays mpeg2 natively so its great for the older hardware.

+1

I have 2 Fire Sticks also and the HDHR does play well with them.

Roku does NOT suppoet MPEG2.

Most Sony blu-ray players support DLNA and I have streamed from the HDHR using those, also.

Reactions: primestar31
Both LG tv's are on my same network. One in my mom's room does miracast and I cast things to the tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts