HD in Hawaii?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

psychicmind

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Are there any plans to offer full HD service to Hawaii. Will the new birds help? Right now there are only 10 HD Channels or so. I will be moving from San Francisco to Hawaii in a few months. I am aware there is a way to use three dishes in Hawaii and keep my SF account, but if Dish is going to offer full HD service soon, I'd much rather move the account.

Any Hawaii experts out there?

Where your account is based has nothing to do with what HD programing you can Receive, it has to do with what satellites you can get signal from. I would suggest you look for a dish network provider in Hawaii via the internet and e-mail them and ask questions. Sorry I am not much help.

Thanks. I'll try a local Hawaii provider. Thats a good idea. In dealing with Dish directly, I just get they only have limited HD service in Hawaii.

I have read here that one can use 3 separate dishes in Hawaii to pick up the same satellites I currently get in San Francisco. I would have to keep my SF account active, otherwise if I gave Dish my Hawaii address, they would automatically change my service options to match my location (even if I did have three dishes capable of getting full HD).

That all sounds a bit daunting, but still worth investigating. I would prefer to simply move and know that Dish is going to be able to offer full HD service in Hawaii. I do not want DirecTV at this time.

Just in case someone searches this topic.

I spoke with retailers in Hawaii.

It is common practice for mainlanders with existing Dish Service to switch their billing to auto or online, pack up their receivers, and move to Hawaii without notifying Dish Network.

Once in Hawaii, retailers will need to install 2 dishes, one is custom made, to target the same satellites I get here in SF with one. Both dish are $650 with instillation.

This will work with 622s and 722s. One can keep their mainland channel package, but you will not get Hawaii locals, only your old mainland locals.

New installs in Hawaii suck for DirecTV, Dish and Cable. Dish still kicks butt in Hawaii though with 65 or so HD channels, up from 10 at the beginning of the year.

In simple words, if you are already with Dish and have an appropriate DVR, you can take your HD channel pack with you.

65 HD channels in Hawaii??? You mean by keeping your "address" in San Francisco correct?

No, the Hawaii Retailer said at the beginning of the year, the Big Island only had 10 HD channels with Dish. Now they said they have 65, more HD than DirecTV. I'm not sure which HD channels were counted (i.e. nationals or sports or PPV). I told her that a DirecTV CSR said full HD service was offered in Hawaii. She said no and that DirecTV customer service was very very bad on the island

That makes sense from my reaserch at the beginning of the year, Hawaii had very very limited HD options from DirecTV, Dish, and Oceanic Cable

By keeping my address in San Francisco, I'll keep all 100+ HD channels like everyone else on the mainland.

I wouldn't think you will get the same number as SFO due to satellite limitations. To get HD on the Big Island you need to have an additional 1.2 meter dish aimed at 110. That satellite is pretty low on the horizon and in our case we get loss of signal if a cloud goes by. Some of the HD (local channels) are on 119 and not subject to dropouts.

I think we get around eleven channels not including PPV. Interestingly the guide shows each on three different channels. It seems like the 5xxx ones are more resistant to dropouts. On a clear day I can get a station on on all three channels. Ex: ESPN is on 140, 5505 and 9424.

I don't know who you are talking to but there is no way we get 65 HD channels.

Using 2 24" to 36" dishes you can pick up 119 and 110 sats. Signals are weak if you don't get the spot beams. I think you would have to change your address with Dish in order to get the spot beams.

Direct has all of the HD available using 2 very large dishes 39" and I believe in a few weeks we will be able to use just one dish. That is what I am waiting for in order to switch to Direct.

I'm a Dish customer. Direct TV is currently ahead in the Hawaii HD channel count, but Dish's new Echostar XI at 110 should put them ahead of the game. It looks like a heck of a bird, and testing is apparently going smoothly. I can't get any info out of Dish as to whether the new bird will provide a full array of HD channels for Hawaii (we currently get 10 including HBO & Showtime, + 5 locals, 5 ppv, and now 5 vod).

Does anyone out there know if Dish is planning to provide Hawaii (and Alaska) with their full pallette of HD channels in the near future?

If they don't they'll keep losing Hawaii customers to Direct TV.

Thank God for some Hawaii Experts.

Sounds like I got a retailer who just gave their sales pitch. More calls today...

I was told (by the retailer and an old SatGuy thread) to get full HD service, I would need 2 dishes, one is a large custom made oval dish, my 622 DRVs and my active SF (or mainland) account. The 2 dishes are supposed to pick up the same satellites I get here in SF and the reciever will work as if I was in SF.

The retailer was in Hilo with a better view of the horizon, but I'm moving to Kona which is on the opposite side of the island. The island itself might get in the way of a clear signal. Kona is also having Vog issues too.

I'd still like to know if the new bird will expand HD service in Hawaii. I'd feel much happier officially "moving" with Dish instead of hiding my location.

Last thing I want right now is DirecTV

I'm assuming that in SF you are picking up the 129 sat. Over here you can't get a signal. At least Dish won't allow any activation for a Hawaii address.

You would require 3 dishes in order to pick up 119, 110 and 129. The angles are to different to use one dish for 119 and 110 like on the mainland.

Depending on where you are on the Kona side you may not be able to get a clear line of sight.

I personally am waiting for both Dish and Direct to get the new sat's in operation to finally see what is going to be offered here. If Direct does end up offering a one dish solution I will be switching due to the HD content.

I can't see Dish even coming close to Direct's HD offerings and the overall price is about the same.

Wait until you get over here to make your decision. Also beware of one of the main installers.
Several years ago I had to show them that HD was available here, they refused to believe me.

The SatGuy thread said it would take three dishes to get each bird.

I just check which birds my receiver tunes into and they are 119 110 and 129.

Hawaii is a buyers market right now. 3 bedrooms on 1 acre for as little as $300,000, and I have a $600,000 budget. There a several major factors in picking property. 1) I'd prefer higher altitude, 2) best HD service (line of sight), and 3) room for renovating into a home theater.

I'd buy a home based in part by it's line of sight with Dish/DirecTV Satellites.http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=7147

I have time to see which HD service comes ahead in Hawaii. I pray it's Dish, but I'm afraid it's going to be DirecTV.

I'm in the same boat. I recently moved and have paused my service while I get settled in to the new place. Part of my battle is going to be with getting my HOA to approve me putting a dish on my house, but the other reason for the hold is to give Dish a few months to get their act together in Hawaii before I make my decision.

In the meantime, I'm using Oceanic Cable with their terrible DVR.

I want to fire up my 722 again so bad.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)