HD LiL without subbing to HD pak possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
I have two goals for my HD:

#1 is get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. But I can't get them OTA due to distance and terrain.

#2 is to be able to record HD by using a HD DVR.

Since I can't get OTA, HD LiL or DNS is my only hope. This will require me to join into the MPEG 4 arena with E* because the HD LiL's will be MPEG 4 only. I personally don't feel that the many repeats of shows on the current HD pak is worth the $15 per month now, and especially not at $20 per month even if more channels are offered.

Will E* allow getting only my locals in HD without subbing the HD pak? I haven't seen anything about this anywhere, but I have my doubts. If they don't, then its just another way they are screwing us over since we can't get our locals in HD without using their MPEG 4 receiver...and the only way to get the MPEG 4 receiver is by subbing for the $20 HD pak.

Given the above scenerio, is it possible to sub the HD pak for a few months to get the receiver, then drop it, AND still keep the MPEG 4 receiver for the local HD? I bet E* will want it returned. :(

Thanks for any insight, educated guesses, or whimsical dialogue!
Anthony

You'd have to purchase your own MPEG4 receiver and you'd be charged a $6 fee for not subbing to the HD pack. And if you don't sub to at least an AT pack, that's another $6.

I personally wouldn't bother doing that. It makes more sense to lease a receiver and apply the money to programming versus wasting the money on a purchase and not buying any programming except locals and being slapped $12 in fees

BFG said:
You'd have to purchase your own MPEG4 receiver and you'd be charged a $6 fee for not subbing to the HD pack. And if you don't sub to at least an AT pack, that's another $6.
I personally wouldn't bother doing that. It makes more sense to lease a receiver and apply the money to programming versus wasting the money on a purchase and not buying any programming except locals and being slapped $12 in fees

They raised the Service Access Fee as well? Dang.

Well on the retailer chat they reffered to the receiver access fee as being seperated with SD receiver charged $5 and HD receiver $6. I thought the same "fee name" was what they charged if you didn't have AT, but it may be something seperate that's still $6

But still the $6 HD receiver no HD pack fee is new

BFG said:
Well on the retailer chat they reffered to the receiver access fee as being seperated with SD receiver charged $5 and HD receiver $6. I thought the same "fee name" was what they charged if you didn't have AT, but it may be something seperate that's still $6

The fee for not having AT60 or higher is called the Service Access Fee. I thought the $5.99 fee for an HD receiver was the mirror fee for additional HD receivers. I didn't remember anything in the retailer chat recap about a fee for not having the HD Pak. I might have missed it, though.

BFG said:

The fee for not having AT60 or higher is called the Service Access Fee. I thought the $5.99 fee for an HD receiver was the mirror fee for additional HD receivers. I didn't remember anything in the retailer chat recap about a fee for not having the HD Pak. Still, $11 or $12 extra in fees is outrageous and you'd have to add another $5.98 if it's an HD DVR!

Oops...I didn't state my situation completely.

I will be keeping at the minimum an AT60 or better. I will also be getting locals. I want HD locals (or HD DNS) which means I have to get an MPEG 4 receiver. I could care less for the HD pak.

I have actually realized that the lease is the best way to go for me, and I would now prefer not to buy the $649+ 622.

If I have at the minimum AT60 with locals (and local HD if it is even available without an HD pak), E* will charge a $6 fee per month for not subbing to the HD pak?

If you're gonna lease you'll be required to keep a DishHD pack, so the least you can pay w/ locals is $54.99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)