HD lite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

baltchop

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
I'm fairly new to this and have just signed up to get HD from Directv.

Which hd channels are classified as HD lite?

Thanks.

Actually,

HD Lite will be every HD channle (on D*) not transmitting at native 1280x720p (Two ESPN channels). Everything else on DirecTv is considered HD LITE.

http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

HD Lite = term used to identify HD channels which picture quality have been degraded by the provider by dowresizing the Horizontal or Vertical resolution of the native HD signal, or using low bitrates to transmit the same signal. In OTA, HD Lite can be used to identify the same problems plus the multicasting issue which could affect the OTA HD channel in a very significant way. So in some cases OTA is not exempt from HD Lite.

baltchop said:
I'm fairly new to this and have just signed up to get HD from Directv.
Which hd channels are classified as HD lite?
Thanks.
I just got my HD sat setup as well the past week, and have been combing through this site for about 2 hours - from what I have read, the term HDLite is something that certain people here have used to describe HD channels that don't meet their personal HD standards somehow. I looked on the FCC site, the CEA site, and 3 other HDTV web sites, and have not seen any mention of it anyplace else.

Anyway, what I did find on the FCC and other sites is that HD is defined as either 720p or 1080i broadcasts with a 16X9 picture and surround sound. Based on that, it would appear that all of Direc TV's HD channels are HD channels - either 720p or 1080i with Dolby and 16X9 picture. I've read that they use some kind of "compression" of their signal, but it seems to have little or no effect, because my HD looks as great as the one in the Home Theater store. My friends visiting yesterday for XMAS all said WOW on all the HD channels we watched.

hdtoby and pradike are one and the same and basically using his own rhetoric since he is one that has a special interest in putting positive information about DirecTv on all board. The same thing happen to him at AVS where he has three to four names. He has an agenda to put misinformation on every board to his convenience. Maybe he gets paid by sources that wants him to do this for a living but whatever the reason is we know pradike --hdtoby-- that you are both one and the same. Your IP has revealed who you are. Sad that you have to do this to convey your point. Very very sad.

hbtoby, the FCC references and incorporate the ATSC Standard for DTV. The ATSC defines HDTV as 1920x1080p, 1920x1080i, and 1280x720p. According to page 12 of the Recommended Practice: Guide to the Use of the ATSC Digital Television Standard (see below references), "The ATSC Standard enables transmission of HDTV pictures at several frame rates and one of two picture formats; these are listed in the top two lines of Table 5.1 . The ATSC Standard also enables the delivery digital sound in various formats."

References:
1. http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/dtvfaqs.html
2. http://www.atsc.org/standards.html (HDTV definition page #12)
3. http://www.atsc.org/standards/practices/a_54a.pdf (Table 5.1 - page #24)

Table 5.1 (top two lines of ref #3):

Vertical Lines Pixels Aspect Ratio Picture Rate
1080 1920 16:9 60i, 30p, 24p
720 1280 16:9 60p, 30p, 24p

What D* and more recently E* are doing is stealing lines of horizontal resolution to create what is known as HD-Lite (1440x1080i, 1280x1080i), which does meet the ATSC standard and, in my opinion, does not look like HD. You would be wise to ask questions and do your homework before blindly criticizing staff members are contributed a great deal of their time and expertise to this site.

hdtoby, you sound like Red UFO...are you?

Sean Mota said:
hdtoby and pradike are one and the same and basically using his own rhetoric since he is one that has a special interest in putting positive information about DirecTv on all board. The same thing happen to him at AVS where he has three to four names. He has an agenda to put misinformation on every board to his convenience. Maybe he gets paid by sources that wants him to do this for a living but whatever the reason is we know pradike --hdtoby-- that you are both one and the same. Your IP has revealed who you are. Sad that you have to do this to convey your point. Very very sad.
That's funny...my crap detector was going off like crazy!!! Don't these trolls ever learn? They jump in with their new handle, but their propaganda machine-like posts quickly reveal their agenda and true identity. Too funny!!!

Sean Mota said:

Calling it sad is way too nice of a way to put it if you ask me..

All his crap should be deleted :D

Sean Mota said:
Your IP has revealed who you are.

Are you sure his ISP doesn't use a caching or proxy server? For example, many AOL users go through the same caching server, which hides their true IP address and makes them all appear to be coming from the same IP.

dervari said:
Are you sure his ISP doesn't use a caching or proxy server? For example, many AOL users go through the same caching server, which hides their true IP address and makes them all appear to be coming from the same IP.

We have ways to detect this... Even for proxy servers...

Sean Mota said:
We have ways to detect this... Even for proxy servers...
Mr. Mota.

As I stated in another thread where you appear to attack me on my first day here, I have let you know that I do work at the same place with 2 others who apparently frequent this site. One of them advised me to see this site for good information, as I am a new user to HDTV as of a week ago.

While pradike happens to be one of the two associates here who work with me, the whole reason I came here was for information based on the recommendation of another fellow worker. All of a sudden, I appear to be the target of your attacks, which I was afraid of, based on how you attacked my coworker.

I sure wish people could be nicer to each other, and not always attack others, but I have learned that some people seem to enjoy it, or else have the time to do nothing else.

I wish you and I could have met on other terms, but you never gave me the chance. I plan to mainly sit our any further conversations, and watch for USEFUL information from people like "Robert". I hope some day you get over your negative treatment of others. Good luck to you in the future anyway.

hdtoby said:
Mr. Mota.

As I stated in another thread where you appear to attack me on my first day here, I have let you know that I do work at the same place with 2 others who apparently frequent this site. One of them advised me to see this site for good information, as I am a new user to HDTV as of a week ago.

While pradike happens to be one of the two associates here who work with me, the whole reason I came here was for information based on the recommendation of another fellow worker. All of a sudden, I appear to be the target of your attacks, which I was afraid of, based on how you attacked my coworker.

I sure wish people could be nicer to each other, and not always attack others, but I have learned that some people seem to enjoy it, or else have the time to do nothing else.

I wish you and I could have met on other terms, but you never gave me the chance. I plan to mainly sit our any further conversations, and watch for USEFUL information from people like "Robert". I hope some day you get over your negative treatment of others. Good luck to you in the future anyway.

as stated in another thread.. we are all dumb and sure... we believe you...:rolleyes: whatever your name maybe....

That's got to be the 8th or 9th person that works out of the same house - each with identical opinions, setups and swarms of friends that share their exact opinion - all who speak (type) in the exact same way.

All happened to initiate their posting with the exact same thing - "Golly gee, I'm new to all this HDTV stuff, but I've done a bunch of research and everyone here is wrong" :rolleyes:

It's either the same guy, or it's time to get some variety in the gene pool by dating outside of family.

hdtoby said:
Mr. Mota.

Hey, I have an idea :eek:

Quit spewing your ridiculous misinformed Joe Six Pack nonsense, and quit lying about your identity!

Maybe then you wont get attacked..

TrolLites?

Who is maintaining the unofficial Troll List these days? We used to see a half-dozen or so reappearing VOOM Trolls (Red UFO, Dragon, Justalurker) back in the days of the VOOM DBS Forum, but they have largely scattered into the woodwork. There now appears to be a new bread of Troll who, in my opinion, are anonymously posting their HD-Lite agendas using a variety of handles; these may very well be the same VOOM Trolls that have nothing better to do over the holidays (no family, no friends, no life). Perhaps it's time to keep closer tabs on these TrolLites?

riffjim4069 said:
Who is maintaining the unofficial Troll List these days? We used to see a half-dozen or so reappearing VOOM Trolls (Red UFO, Dragon, Justalurker) back in the days of the VOOM DBS Forum, but they have largely scattered into the woodwork. There now appears to be a new bread of Troll who, in my opinion, are anonymously posting their HD-Lite agendas using a variety of handles; these may very well be the same VOOM Trolls that have nothing better to do over the holidays (no family, no friends, no life). Perhaps it's time to keep closer tabs on these TrolLites?

The " Trolites" sounds like a 50's doo- wop singing group. :D

For those who want a direct and simple answer I'll provide it. Right now DirecTV has a few channels that are broadcast by the network as a 720p signal such as ESPN and ESPN2 HD. Again these are sent to DirecTV and all other providers in the 720p format by ESPN (not by DirecTV or any other company but just ESPN). Now on nearly every cable and satellite provider this feed is unchanged for the most part and is kept in the 720p format which is 1280x720p by the way. Now what DirecTV and other companies are either doing or starting todo is taking a 1080i feed from say HBO (again HBO providers their HDTV feed in the 1920x1080i format) and offering it to their customers (IE. DirecTV customers) in a format such as 1280x1080i or even 1080x1080i. This isn't even considering a companies practice of lowering the bitrate which can be worse in some cases than lowering the feed from 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i.

The reason we all call this HD Lite is simply because DirecTV and those other companies are giving their customers a lower quality HDTV signal than what the network itself such as HBO offers.

All DirecTV customers are paying an extra 11 bucks a month to get several HDTV channels that are worse than what the networks are sending out except for the two ESPN channels. We don't want people to pay top dollar when they aren't getting what they think they are paying for.

If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask them. You can ask any staff member via PM including myself.

OK, since you're taking questions. Do your sources indicate that D* will or won't be doing HD-Lite on the MPEG4 channels? Since the bit counters haven't got the hardware yet to prove it one way or the other what's the current line on bit rates and resolutions?

riffjim4069 said:
hbtoby, the FCC references and incorporate the ATSC Standard for DTV. The ATSC defines HDTV as 1920x1080p, 1920x1080i, and 1280x720p. According to page 12 of the Recommended Practice: Guide to the Use of the ATSC Digital Television Standard (see below references), "The ATSC Standard enables transmission of HDTV pictures at several frame rates and one of two picture formats; these are listed in the top two lines of Table 5.1 . The ATSC Standard also enables the delivery digital sound in various formats."

References:
1. http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/dtvfaqs.html
2. http://www.atsc.org/standards.html (HDTV definition page #12)
3. http://www.atsc.org/standards/practices/a_54a.pdf (Table 5.1 - page #24)

Table 5.1 (top two lines of ref #3):

Vertical Lines Pixels Aspect Ratio Picture Rate
1080 1920 16:9 60i, 30p, 24p
720 1280 16:9 60p, 30p, 24p

What D* and more recently E* are doing is stealing lines of horizontal resolution to create what is known as HD-Lite (1440x1080i, 1280x1080i), which does meet the ATSC standard and, in my opinion, does not look like HD. You would be wise to ask questions and do your homework before blindly criticizing staff members are contributed a great deal of their time and expertise to this site.

hdtoby, you sound like Red UFO...are you?

RIF,,,

better read your own propaganda, all the links say, VOLUNTARY, NOT MANDATORY and the VOLUNTARY group the ASTC (i think ... ) is NOT government and is NOT official and has no powers to enforce mandates upon the MAJORITY by the CLEAR minority, who wants tv the way THEY THINK we should get it. at A COST TO THE MAJORITY, who at this point COULD CARE LESS!!!!

riffjim4069 said:

RIF,,

the discription of this forum is THE DIRECTV HDTV FORUM, not who agrees with "RIF WANTS HDTV HIS WAY FORUM", me and others not agreeing with you HD fanatics who want YOUR HD YOUR WAY at any cost to the others , DOES NOT MAKE US TROLLS, it makes you LIBERALS. i have as much right to express my opine here a s you do. and OPINE I WLLL.

.....bob:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts