HD Lite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
I was looking through the forum and happened across the term "HD lite" I hadn't heard it before, so I googled it :confused: :( .

What the heck is up with this???

Are any Dish HD Chan's currently broadcasting HD lite? I thought the channels used to look better but I thought maybe I was just getting accustom to the HD.

Before you say, "If you can't tell which channels are in HD Lite, you must not be able to see the difference". Every different HD chan/program seems to have a slightly different picture quality, it would be hard if not impossible to where the picture degradation was coming from.

Anyway, whats the latest on this?

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited:
Some services down-rez all of their 1920x1080i programming to 1280x1080i. This makes HD lite, it is a term witch geeks use to dis HD witch technecly is not true HD. For most it's just fine. If you are a purist it is unaccepable. Peace

The VOOM channels are still being transmitted in 1280x1080i "HD Lite", supposedly due to fiber problems between VOOM's source and Dish's uplink site. These are being worked upon. Once this is repaired, Dish may go back to 1920x1080. We won't know until sometime later in 2006 whether this will happen.

I have a 32 inch LCD Wide Screen with a native resolution of 1366 x 768. This Downresing or HD lite is not really having any effect on me is it?

Yes, even with a 1366x768 screen, the downrezzing will have a negative effect. Either your dish receiver or TV set is scaling the image to 720p and then again to your native resolution. If the source has less information/detail than it could, then each subsequent scaling will also have less detail than it could have.

Tom - Tks for your last post here (I'm noting that it's number 1080 !!)

I've been wondering how the "mismatch" between resolutions (native vs. whatever is entering the box at the time) were resolved. Stands to reason that any lost content will end up negatively affecting the end product...

alajoe:

Yes, technically. But on a 32" screen, and all the scaling, I seriously doubt many of us could really see a significant difference.

Hadn't noticed that it was a 32" screen.

I'll agree with Navychop that the difference at that size would be minor. Especially if you sit more than 8' from it.

As to my posts now numbering at 1081, that's pretty low compared to many on this forum. Take a look at GoalieBob above. Or go look up a post by Iceberg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)