HD Local channel on- but no HD content

vmaxept

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
Pikeville, TN
I finally was able to get Dish to install the EA 1000.4 dish.
The intent was to be able to watch Local HD over the satellite vs the OTA tuner/ant.

WELL, they just installed the new dish.
Yep I see the LOCAL "HD" 4 networks from Chatt TN..
Channel 51nn
HOWEVER they are NOT ALL in HD content.
The only channel that is in real HD is NBC.
The others CBS/ABC/FOX are in SD.
Why is this ?

Is the local network not providing the feed to Dish or is Dish not linking to the HD content feed from the network?

And who do I contact to discuss the issue? Dish ? or each network out of Chattanooga TN?
The Dish customer service really does not know dip about this. They keep telling me I cannot get LOCAL HD. Their site says otherwise.

As does the installer who put up the dish. He says he only installs the EA1000.4 in this area if the customer has LOS for the purpose of LOCAL HD from 61.5

Really ticked me off.
I wanted to get these LOCAL HD and get away from the problems with the VIP622 OTA tuner, which is crap.

Just dont have any idea what to do next. Maybe a new call? or letter to ceo charlie?

At least they installed the new dish for free.

ps edit I did post this on my original thread but wanted to ask on a new thread about the content issue

Thanks

Not all content is in HD. Not all local TV stations have complete HD studios yet (like for news). A lot of daytime, syndicated shows are not produced in HD. Even CBS Morning Show is not HD, as well as Meet the Press. The digital transition was not a magic wand that meant we would be in a total HD world. However, most of all Network prime time (except for a couple of reality shows) are HD, so wait until tonight.

Last edited:
Well , all OTA channels were in HD - I switched back and forth between OTA HD and the HD Sat channels.. OTA is in HD for the shows on CBS/ABC but were in SD on the HD SAT.
The only channel that was HD from both sources was NBC.

Maybe ? Dish only carries the HD content at night to save BW.

Will see what it looks like tonight.

KNWA for my area was in SD on the HD channel for around a month when dish added them. KNWA did not have the HD feed installed yet, so we had to watch a SD version on the HD channel until they got it up and running. call you local station and ask their engineer what the problem is.

Have you tried viewing the channels on their regular numbers (3,9,12&61) versus the 51xx numbers?

Are you using a custom channel list?

My ViP622 OTA isn't crap. It works better than most other ATSC tuners in my home. What usually happens is that the signal coming into the tuner is crap for one reason or another.

KNWA for my area was in SD on the HD channel for around a month when dish added them. KNWA did not have the HD feed installed yet, so we had to watch a SD version on the HD channel until they got it up and running. call you local station and ask their engineer what the problem is.
The Chatanooga HD LIL have been up on 61.5W since July of 2008. It is unlikely that they are experiencing the early configuration problems that you're talking about.

Ok all good.
It appears some locals will feed SD during the day to Dish, then at night change over to HD content.

Had all the locals in HD last night.

The 622 OTA problems drop out- loss of sound and picture then back. I am on my third 622 in 2 yrs. The techs all agreed the tuner was bad.
I have other units that work perfect on OTA HD.. One an old VOOM box and another ATSC tuner, they never loose lock.
My OTA outside antenna is the largest I could get along with a CM boom mounted amp.
The 622 tuner shows 80 to 98 signal levels but still drops out of lock. The VOOM OTA tuner shows the same sig levels- never looses lock.

I am connected to the TV/monitor using component cables.

There are other posts related to the OTA tuner issues, not just me.

Yes I watched the HD LOCALS on the 51nn and the std channel number, all the same.

However, it looks like this is working out just fine.

The 61.5 satellite works great, 65 sig level. Held great lock under heavy rain last night. A bit better then 129 was.

Thanks to this list I was able to provide Dish with the technical information to insist on the EA1000.4 install... at no charge.

Really appreciated the advice and information I find here.. I read for hours..
(retired :) )

I have other units that work perfect on OTA HD.. One an old VOOM box and another ATSC tuner, they never loose lock.
My OTA outside antenna is the largest I could get along with a CM boom mounted amp.
The 622 tuner shows 80 to 98 signal levels but still drops out of lock. The VOOM OTA tuner shows the same sig levels- never looses lock.

You might be over driving the 622. Dish receivers react this way with too much signal or multipath. If you could get up to the antenna and bypass the amp it might clear up the signal fluctuations.

I'm running my antenna barefoot driving all the OTA receivers below plus a direct feed to the TV's.

You might be over driving the 622. Dish receivers react this way with too much signal or multipath. If you could get up to the antenna and bypass the amp it might clear up the signal fluctuations.

I'm running my antenna barefoot driving all the OTA receivers below plus a direct feed to the TV's.

BANG way to go.
I just put a splitter in line to feed the OTA tuner. The splitter must offer just enough loss to not over power the tuner.
So far my short test-run today - no more drop outs.

I cannot get up on the roof to take the amp out the line. I have to get my son to go up there when it is nicer.
I tried to run it without the amp powered up - lost the signal. Must not be enough bleed though with the amp un-powered.

How about a DC block. I know there will be or may be amp power on the out coax connection to the box ?? unless the amp has a built in DC block at the out coax connection. Have to look that up..

Will watch some OTA tonight and see. Heck if this works all will be great since I will be able record from 2 'local' sources.

Here I was thinking MORE is better.. :)

Said this bunch really helps solve problems..

What he said

You are most likely experiencing multipath or overdrive like gdarwin says. Both will do exactly what he said. Also the Voom receivers react much differently than the E* units. When a Voom is over driven then it will not tune the main channel and reboot itself if you tune to it. The tuners are completely different in all 3 that you have and can't really be compared to each other.

BANG way to go.
I just put a splitter in line to feed the OTA tuner. The splitter must offer just enough loss to not over power the tuner.
So far my short test-run today - no more drop outs.

I cannot get up on the roof to take the amp out the line. I have to get my son to go up there when it is nicer.
I tried to run it without the amp powered up - lost the signal. Must not be enough bleed though with the amp un-powered.

How about a DC block. I know there will be or may be amp power on the out coax connection to the box ?? unless the amp has a built in DC block at the out coax connection. Have to look that up..

Will watch some OTA tonight and see. Heck if this works all will be great since I will be able record from 2 'local' sources.

Here I was thinking MORE is better.. :)

Said this bunch really helps solve problems..

All the DC block will do is block power to the amp, which you found doesn't work real well... all of the antenna amps really kill the signal if no power is there. You can get more w/ just coax to the antenna than you will w/ a dead amp... I've always thought they should've designed the amps to have powered switching to the inputs, sort of a "bypass" if you would, that when power is there the input is routed through the amplifier, if the power supply dies, just bypasses the active electronics & routes the antenna straight down the coax...

Great, how about I get a 5dB attenuator? or higher from RS and use that for now until I can get to the amp on the tower/roof?

Maybe an adjustable attenuator would be better?.. time of a Google search.