HD local problem

ggood19

Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
I've tried this with both my HD TV and HD Dish capable receivers. Have a rabbit ear antenna hooked up and it see's two HD locals but the only one that is viewable is a 24hr weather channel. I'm in Hays, KS and receive local CBS programming for the local station. It shows good signal strength from both but only one is viewable. Can't get the CBS regular programming. I've tried it also with a PC that has a digital tuner card. Local station engineer say's I should be getting both channels. Would getting a digital tuner help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both "channels" are on the same frequency and on the same carrier, so I'd say if three of your tuners can get the weather channel (probably the X.2 channel) then there is a problem with the X.1 channel that the station engineer needs to deal with.

It sounds like you already have three digital tuners, the fourth would probably just confirm what the first 3 have told you.

Have you spoken to anyone else in the area that is able to get both or just one?

I've never heard of anyone getting only one sub-channel from an over the air DTV signal with multiple sub-channels on the same channel assignment. It's normally an all or none deal on picking up a DTV channel and its companion multi-cast sub-channels over the air with an antenna.

I'm thinking there has to be some sort of issue at the TV station and the way it is transmitting its DTV signal. Try asking anyone who receives DTV over the air if they're having the same technical problem.

As a troubleshooting measure use the HDTV's set up tools to re-scan for over the air DTV channels. If it's a problem with the TV itself a repeated channel scan could fix the issue. Viewers in certain markets will have to re-scan for DTV channels after June 12 when some stations will move their signals from temporary channel assignments to final channel positions.

Missing a Sub-channel

I was missing a sub-channel here in El Paso for months. Some tuners could get it and others could not. I had equipment at the time which would read out the detailed PSIP information and e-mailed all that I could to the station engineer. I turned out that the PID number for that particular sub-channel was incorrect and some tuners could deal with it better than others. Good Luck.

Our local NBC affiliate for several years has had regular programming on 25-1 and NBC Weather Plus on 25-2. For a week or two, they decided to put NBC Weather Plus on 25-4. Neither of my TV's or my 722 would pick up 25-4 and only folks with a certain OTA converter box seemed to be able to get it. They flipped it back to 25-2. Maybe it's something like that?

I was missing a sub-channel here in El Paso for months. Some tuners could get it and others could not. I had equipment at the time which would read out the detailed PSIP information and e-mailed all that I could to the station engineer. I turned out that the PID number for that particular sub-channel was incorrect and some tuners could deal with it better than others. Good Luck.

How do I tell what the sub-channel info is? Thanks

Sub-Channel Info

At the time I was using a Tivo Series 3 which had screens for all of the over-the-air diagnostics. Even the engineer at our local ABC affiliate questioned me on how I was able to see the PSIP details. I no longer have that equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts