HD locals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA timeframe??

Sorry in advance for the long post and the bad news.....I have no information for those of you that are able to get the spot beam, but are still waiting for NBC, CBS and FOX.

However, for those of us that have not been able to get the spot, I have some rather bad news. I sent the following letter to the ceo@dish email address and got the response below my letter.

If you don't feel like reading it all, the short version is they know we can't get the spot beam, they are doing nothing about it, and we are basically out of luck.

Goodbye Dish Network. This is the final straw!!!

MY LETTER:

"I have been a subscriber to Dish Network for over 6 years and I have been very pleased with the service, equipment, technical support, and mostly with the best DVR in the world. However, I have recently tried multiple times to get live chat and telephone CSRs to answer a question without any satisfaction. I am hoping you can help me with a straight answer to a rather simple question.

I live in Lewisburg, PA (17837) in the Wilkes-Barre DMA. I have waited very patiently for HD local channels to become available to my market. I was pleased to see that at least one of my locals (WNEP in HD) was made available to my DMA. I was prepared to upgrade to a VIP series receiver and extend my contract the required term, trusting that the other HD locals would soon become available. This is not a question about when those channels will be available, so please keep reading.

Upon learning of the new local HD channel I contacted a local retailer to confirm that the information was accurate and that this channel was indeed live. He advised me that yes it was, but that in our portion of the DMA (far west side), the spotbeam on which this channel (and all future HD locals) is being delivered is too weak to receive a reliable signal. He advised that the channel cuts in and out, drops audio, and is viewable less than 10% of the time. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed.

Your website initially showed this channel as "available" at my physical address, but has since been changed to show "no HD locals" for my address. This leads me to believe that Dish is aware of the problem. In all my discussions with your CSR's I have been told everything from "Yes, you will get this channel without issue" to "No, it is not available". None of them seem aware of the spotbeam issue.

Can you please confirm if this is a known issue and if anything is being done to deliver HD local channels to the entire Wilkes-Barre DMA? If nothing is being done, does this mean that I am forever "out of luck" when it comes to receiving HD locals from Dish?

I would hate to have to switch to DirecTV or my cable company, both of which have had all of my HD locals for some time now. I have been so pleased with Dish that I was willing to wait for you to catch up to the competition, but now it seems that I will never be able to see these channels at my address. This would really force my hand.

I anxiously await your reply. Thank you.

RESPONSE:
Unfortunately, your zip code falls outside of the spot beam for locals in HD for the Wilkes-Barre DMA. We will not be able to provide these channels to you at this time and there is no timeframe for if or when we will be able to provide you HD locals. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Thanks,

Gregory W.

Wow, that is some bad news. I have called them many times as well, and they keep saying that I should be getting them in Williamsport, PA with no problems. Infact they have sent out two techs to "see what the problem is" The first one came a few weeks ago and made me sign a paper saying "problem can not be solved" so I called dish back to complain and now there sending another one this weekend? They just don't understand!

My next step was to write a letter to the CEO's email, but looks like you have already done so (very well in fact) so looks like I won't get much of an answer if I do that. (I still may write a letter anyways)

So now what.......a call to the BBB, class action law suite? I'm not that good with law, but after many of you have stated with MP3 recordings and in print, that Dish is making false statements and shouldn't be getting away with it ESPECIALY if they have no desire to fix the problem or set up a time frame of when they can.

So what should we all do next? There is never an option on "your out of luck" or "we can't do anything" I say we get together an sue these people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I am also in 17837. Not good. Can we now expect them to give us HD non-local networks (New York) instead? I'd be okay with that, but is that something Dish can decide to offer, or are they bound by regulatory restrictions about offering non-market networks?

Has anyone tried using a larger dish to see if it's possible to get a usable signal? I can't do it because my dishes are on the roof, it would be just too much bother for one channel and it's not a sure thing anyway.

Yeah, I am also in 17837. Not good. Can we now expect them to give us HD non-local networks (New York) instead? I'd be okay with that, but is that something Dish can decide to offer, or are they bound by regulatory restrictions about offering non-market networks?

They cant offer it.. but you can 'move' your service address to new york and get the ny locals. Theres a few threads about it floating around here somewhere... people have been successful in stroudsburg.

I didn't think New York would work around here. Philadelphia would.

I'll have to check again when I'm not watching anything. It would be nice to have New York because they have CW, but it seems to me that the minor local channels are on different beams. I wouldn't care if it wasn't for PBS.

I guess that the western parts of the Scranton DMA are out of the footprint of spot 16. That spot also carries Syracuse and up into NE. "moving" is not complicated, it just might take two or three calls to get it set up correctly. Just make sure that you can see the TP and make sure that you in the footprint of the spotbeam. I can sd from Cleveland but not HD because 61.5 tp 1 spot 14 only goes as far east as Cleveland.

Evidently it ends pretty fast. I have a strength of 6 in southern Lycoming county. (I was mistaken earlier, the SD channels would be fine, it's the HD that wouldn't work from NY.)

Meanwhile, just for the hell of it I checked the Scranton beam again. I used to have anywhere from 6 to 11 for strength. Now I have 0 to 2. I think the windstorm a few days ago moved the dish a little.

Philly HD in Williamsport, is that with an antenna? That's another thing, once stations make switch to digital, will the rules about what "area" we're in change? (Somebody in town (17837) told me that they can only get analog over the air here, not digital)

It's so bittersweet. I have waited forever to see our locals get lit in HD. I saw that a couple more were today and I am really excited for those of ou lucky ones that are actually in the spotbeam. On the other hand, it's now even more gutwrenching to not have my locals in HD because most of them are finally lit (what I thought I was waiting for all this time), but I am out of the spotbeam. :river It's frustrating because a large portion of the spotbeam covers the areas that can receive their locals in HD OTA. It's those of us that can't get them OTA that also can't get them through E*! AHHHH!

BTW, looks like WYOU and WBRE SD channels are removed.

Damn, I was so happy to read this news and was so disappointed when I checked my channels to find that they still don't work. "We are working to fix this problem", what a crock Dish, I have been waiting since July and they still haven't fixed this. :mad:

I guess its true that "patience is a virtue". :cool:

I'm glad we now have WBRE and WYOU, but we now need to get Fox Wolf for when "24" and "House" are on.

My HD world will then be complete. :)

I do hope that that you Lycoming folks get yours straightened out soon, and will put my mojo to work for you!!

About Time!!! Happy to see these channels FINALLY up! I still don't understand the stupidity of DISH for not figuring something out to be able to broadcast all of these channels to ALL folks that live in the DMA.

Really makes you think....how they run their company :confused:

I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION! I got my fingers crossed for you guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts