HD Locals in Houston Questions

chuckie

Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I just got my 622 setup with Hd locals in Houston.

The only channels in HD seem to be NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX. Channels 20 (UPN) and 39 (WB) are not in HD. I know that channels 20 and 39 broadcast HD in Houston. Should these channels be missing?

I also had them install my OTA antenna. Its a winegard from my old VOOM install. The problems is that the reception is very weak. Does anyone know if the 622 powers the OTA? I think this may be my problem.

Finally, my 622 has already crashed 3 times (requiring hard reboot). It seems to crash when I tune to the OTA HD locals. Maybe I need the latest firmware update.

I live in Sugar Land just outside Houston.

Thanks,
Chuckie

Hi Chuck. I just got installed yesterday and the 622 has only locked up once thankfully. You should be getting the CW from your off air antenna, in HD. My installer actually took my ota off the roof so I get to call them back this week.

Question for you.. is your channel 26 out of sync between the audio and video? ie you hear what they're saying before their lips move?

No the 622 does not power the OTA. A lot of people have posted about using the voom antenna with the 622. Do a search, somewhere in one of the threads tells the model amplifier that will work with the voom antenna.

I just got my 622 setup with Hd locals in Houston.

I also had them install my OTA antenna. Its a winegard from my old VOOM install. The problems is that the reception is very weak. Does anyone know if the 622 powers the OTA? I think this may be my problem.

I live in Sugar Land just outside Houston.

Chuckie - the TV transmission towers are located about 9 miles SE of Sugar Land. The new Ft Bend County toll road goes between the towers. They are just 2 miles north of the FBCTR & Hwy 6 intersection. You should be able to get a strong signal with virtually any antennae if you have a clear view to the southeast. On a clear night you should be able to see the towers.

I live in Katy and can pick up the HDs with rabbit ears inside the house, about 20 miles away.

You should check your antennae connections, something isn't right.

You are correct, the HD locals on satellite are channels, 2, 11, 13, & 26. The other channels are in SD or require an OTA antennae for the HD broadcasts.

No the 622 does not power the OTA. A lot of people have posted about using the voom antenna with the 622. Do a search, somewhere in one of the threads tells the model amplifier that will work with the voom antenna.

are you saying the ota antenna I have won't work with the VIP622? If so, why not? It's just an antenna. Someone else said they're picking up HD with rabbit ears. I'm assuming the rabbit ears are connected to the VIP622.

I'm confused.

Yes, I connected rabbit ears antenna to the antenna input of the 622 and was able to receive most of the Houston locals. The 622 doesn't "power" the antenna. If the antenna has a pre-amp, the pre-amp should have its own power source. At 9 miles or less from the transmission towers, you probably don't need a pre-amp. If there is a pre-amp between the antenna and the 622, I would try taking it out and trying the 622 with feed directly from the antenna. (The preamp will be a black or gray box that normally attaches to the antenna mast, as near to the antenna as you can get it. There is a seperate power inserter box, that provides DC power to the preamp.) Insert a barrel connector where the pre-amp used to be. Depending on where you live in Sugar Land, the antenna should be pointed towards the southeast. If you live in First Colony, point the antenna east and just a little bit to the south.

I am in the Spring area (close to the Woodlands) and have an outside antenna... hooked up to the 622. I have moved it different directions and for the most part get good consistant digital signals on most all of the Houston channels. occasionally they drop out and give me the message of lose of signal. I have also added a Radio Shack amplifier (that helped also) What direction should I point the outside antenna to get the best signal... Fort Bend tollway is a long way from here!!!!

are you saying the ota antenna I have won't work with the VIP622? If so, why not? It's just an antenna. Someone else said they're picking up HD with rabbit ears. I'm assuming the rabbit ears are connected to the VIP622.

I'm confused.

Not powering a pre-amp generally shuts off all signal to tuner, no pass through w/o power inserter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts