HD Locals: New Dish Needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adamhochman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Hello,
I am in one of the 12 markets (DC) to get the locals this fall. When I was talking to the DTV rep recently, he indicated this would happen automatically (ie the locals would just pop up in HD one day), without the need to install a new dish.

I thought I've heard otherwise from the great info on this board (and I've learned to trust this board more than I trust DTV reps when it comes to info). Do you know, when my market get the locals in HDTV, will I have to get a new dish to watch the locals through the dish? I'm having problems with my OTA satellite and wondering if I should just be patient and wait another month or two.

Additionally, my assumption is that when I do get a new dish I'll have to get a new DVR (I have the HD Tivo right now) to be compatible with the MPEG-4 technology. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your info.
Adam

My understanding is that the markets that are now offering locals in HD are doing so with mpeg 2. I am scheduled for an install on a HD DVR (mpeg2) next week and I have been told several times that I would be able to pick up the 4 locals offered in HD with my HD DVR unit.

The only HD locals in MPEG-2 are the NYC and LA. Some markets are eligible for the distant HD networks until the locals are available in MPEG-4 in the area

shappyss said:
The only HD locals in MPEG-2 are the NYC and LA. Some markets are eligible for the distant HD networks until the locals are available in MPEG-4 in the area

I'm in LA. Now I'm a little more confident that I'll actually get the locals! Some of the CSRs couldn't tell me one way or the other.

hooks61 said:
I'm in LA. Now I'm a little more confident that I'll actually get the locals! Some of the CSRs couldn't tell me one way or the other.

Because your in LA you will get the big 4 HD locals with the current triple LNB dish and current MPEG2 hardware which includes the HD Tivo. Now to get the UPN, WB and PBS HD feeds when they come online including any of your RSNs you will need a new dish and MPEG4 hardware.

Well I already asked this question and got positive response from some folks: Should I go forward with my install or should I cancel, be patient, and wait to get the mpeg4 (even without DVR)?

If it were me, and only having to wait no more than another 60 days for my DMA to go MPEG4 as it were, I would wait. BUT I have read that if you are a new customer in one of the next 11 DMAs that you would get the new dish up front, but I have no hard evidence of that statement. Maybe Longhorn does; if he does confirm, then why wait?

LonghornXP said:
Because your in LA you will get the big 4 HD locals with the current triple LNB dish and current MPEG2 hardware which includes the HD Tivo. Now to get the UPN, WB and PBS HD feeds when they come online including any of your RSNs you will need a new dish and MPEG4 hardware.

A bit off topic....but
Hey LonghornXP,
I noticed in your post you mentioned , including any of your RSN in MPEG4,
Have you heard anything about RSN's in HD ????
It would be awesome to get them in HD, any ideas, insight ???

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
A bit off topic....but
Hey LonghornXP,
I noticed in your post you mentioned , including any of your RSN in MPEG4,
Have you heard anything about RSN's in HD ????
It would be awesome to get them in HD, any ideas, insight ???

Jimbo

As long as your RSN channels aren't closed off via fiber like some Comcast SportsNet stations for example you will at some point be getting them. They should be added when the PBS, WB and UPN feeds are added to your local lineups. This should occur around 3 or so months after you get the big 4 in HD.

charper1 said:
If it were me, and only having to wait no more than another 60 days for my DMA to go MPEG4 as it were, I would wait. BUT I have read that if you are a new customer in one of the next 11 DMAs that you would get the new dish up front, but I have no hard evidence of that statement. Maybe Longhorn does; if he does confirm, then why wait?

If the customer is in the LA DMA as it seems he would get the upgrade within a couple months no matter if he signed up today or in two months. Even the LA and NY feeds will be offered in MPEG4 (in addition to MPEG2) for those that have the new hardware. Now if you aren't a customer yet and your interested in the HD DVR I would suggest holding off for another six months on at least buying an HD DVR for these reasons below.

Firstly you want to find out just how well the new HD DVR works compared to an HD Tivo. Secondly they will be pushing the HD DVR as a rental with no upfront costs so if your interested in that route you should wait because supply would be very limited and would pretty much be going out to customers in the current 12 DMAs and new customers. If your outside of the first 12 DMAs and not a new customer you will be on a waiting list for both a purchase and/or rental option for at least a couple months.

Now as with anything delays can occur and its upto you to decide what your willing to live with and accept.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts