HD locals on TV2

yekat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Vienna, VA
Trying to help my brother with his recent DISH install into 2 HDTVs. He has a HD DVR into TV1 and with the coax out into TV2, giving TV2 SD content. Is there any way of getting HD local channels on TV2 without a DISH receiver? My brother indicated that the installer put 2 dishes up there. Is one of them an OTA antenna? On the back of his HD DVR, the coax coming in is split to feed the 2 inputs on the receiver. Is that a diplexer splitting an OTA signal and SAT signal or is it just a splitting a SAT signal? My thinking is that if it's an OTA antenna, I can just put a diplexer at TV2 to split the OTA antenna and SAT signal and feed the OTA antenna to TV2 so he can get HD locals. If it is not an OTA antenna, does DISH send the local HD channels unecrypted?

the second dish is probably just to pickup a 3rd sat (probably 129 or 61.5 depending where you are). those are only for the dish reciever. for OTA HD locals on TV2, depending on your location and if the TV has an ATSC tuner built in you could possibly use a set of rabbit ears to pick up the local digital signals

Thanks. Looks like I'll tell him to pick up a Silver Sensor. His tv only has 1 coax input. Can the antenna be diplexed with the input coming from the HD DVR into the one coax input on the tv?

HDTV thru TV2

I had the same problem and finally got it working by hooking up a splitter in reverse between the diplexer and OTA to tv2 in back of receiver. Works very well.:)

The Silver Sensor is an indoor antenna, which will be right next to TV2. So if I take the feed for TV2 (coming from the HD DVR downstairs) will I be able to diplex that with the Silver Sensor and input that 1 coax into the HDTV? Just trying to eliminate the need for a coax A-B switch.

The Silver Sensor is an indoor antenna, which will be right next to TV2. So if I take the feed for TV2 (coming from the HD DVR downstairs) will I be able to diplex that with the Silver Sensor and input that 1 coax into the HDTV? Just trying to eliminate the need for a coax A-B switch.

Yes. Just install a splitter (not a diplexer) in reverse, with the TV2 feed as one input and the Silver Sensor as the other. The output goes to the coax input of the TV. If the Silver Sensor has an external power inserter for a preamp (not sure if it does or not), make sure you use a splitter that has a DC pass-through on one of its legs.

Brad

(edit) Oh, and a couple of other things. First, you can set the 622/722 to output TV1 on one channel and TV2 on another. The TV1 signal is anamorphic (like an SD DVD), so you can stretch the picture on a 16:9 TV to look normal. The two output channels should be at least 2 channels apart, and neither should be adjacent to any OTA channels (analog or digital), especially if you're combining them with the signal from an OTA antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts