HD Locals Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildcats

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I have an install for Friday and HD locals are not yet available in my area. Can I go to best buy or circuit city and buy an antenna for hd and it work with my DTV set up? I asked two reps and one said yes that would be work fine and another said I had to order theirs because it was the only one that would work. Can anyone clear this up for me?
THANKS!!

If you have dish netwonk Hd reseivers it is not matter what kind of anntene you need receiver got converter build in.if you are not too far from towers. you do Not need Hd off air anterna.any antenna going to work .

FSS3 said:
If you have dish netwonk Hd reseivers it is not matter what kind of anntene you need receiver got converter build in.if you are not too far from towers. you do Not need Hd off air anterna.any antenna going to work .

What? Trying re-typing that so we might be able to help/understand.

wildcats said:
I have an install for Friday and HD locals are not yet available in my area. Can I go to best buy or circuit city and buy an antenna for hd and it work with my DTV set up? I asked two reps and one said yes that would be work fine and another said I had to order theirs because it was the only one that would work. Can anyone clear this up for me? THANKS!!

What is you zip code? You do not need "their" antenna, you just need the "correct" antenna; and more times than not, theirs will not be the best one.

My zip is 41051. I am about 10-15 miles from all of the Cincinnati tv towers. Both reps at Direct say Cincinnati will available soon. They both gave the same guess of April or May for them to be available.

wildcats - Try antennaweb.com to determine what channels are available to you on VHF and UHF, what distances and bearings to the towers, etc. That will help you choose and install the right equipment. At 10-15 miles you shouldn't have much trouble receiving them all with even a low-cost antenna unless you have terrain or obstruction issues, i.e., is it a "clear shot " from your location to the towers? Even then some more sophisticated equipment will generally solve the problem.

Regarding getting the HD locals from D* (or E* for that matter) - you will most likely get a superior HD picture quality from the over-the-air solution given all the signal compression the sat providers are forced to use at this time. (See the various posts and links re: "HD-Lite".) That may improve in the future - time will tell! So if you have an inexpensive solution to receiving the OTA HD locals , I would advise you to do it that way! If you look at other posts on this topic (OTA vs LiL) you'll find that those who can receive both generally prefer the quality of the OTA versions....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)