HD lover where will she be.

jbtcajun

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Hi all as posted earlier I have never had fee tv before VOOM. Now I am hooked. Never knew there was so much out there to see. And Hd with true surround WOW!

What to do now? Addicted as we are; where is the intelligent place to go? Dish, E, Ku? If we could get all the HD channels and ota there would be satisfaction. I am not interested in sport content.

In coming days we will all need to make some decision. Please post you're viewing priority and deal you chose. We can all learn from each other.

Same Boat

HD was THE factor in my decision to finally pay for TV. Bought an HDreadyTV for movies and then figured VOOM would be a nice addition especially at the price.

Now I think I'm going to buy the least expensive OTA tuner I can get and just live with that until this all shakes out. Oh well. I guess the money not spent on VOOM will help pay for the liquid gold my car requires. :(

I am currently waiting to see if anyone I can receive (E*, D* or my local cable company, Charter) picks up the Voom 21 channels. If noone that I can receive picks them up, then I have decided that D* looks like the best bet for me. They have UniversalHD which I like a lot better than TNT-HD which is what I would get from E*. Also, DirecTV has the DirecTivo which I will like a lot more than I would like the Dish 921 or 942. And, D* has the plans in place to launch several HD satellites, which may not benefit me for a while, but at least they will have the capacity for major HD in the next couple of years. The things I don't like about going with D* are that I am a little concerned that I could get caught holding the bag if the new HD channels are only available via MPEG4 (or if they convert the old ones to MPEG4), and the DirecTivo doesn't support MPEG4. Hopefully D* would swap my receiver out with a compatible one, but with such an expensive piece of hardware, I am a bit wary. The other thing is that D* is a bit more expensive then E*, but I think the positives of going with D* outweigh the negatives for me. I'm just waiting until Voom goes off air to see if there is any way for me to keep the Voom 21 before I sign up.

I currently have the Dish HD package, cable is not an option where I live. I am going to hold out for another year or so to see what shakes out with regards to MPEG-4 with D* & E*. I really wanted to pickup a Dish 922 DVR but it looks like it will not be MPEG-4 compatible so I will wait. IF D* can provide a decent picture and they move away from HDLite, I may go with them, it all depends on who gets the most content with the best picture as I will not support HDLite from any provider.

I bought our HDTV only for Voom and, like others here, never had satellite before. True enough, Voom HD and surround sound was outstanding.

What drives me nuts is to read thread after thread of ex-Voomers, many of whom yelled at Voom for bad PQ or not enough HD, now seem perfectly happy to go with Dish (HDLite) or DirecTV (HDLite) or cable (HDLite).

Our HDTV goes dark when Voom ends. Until another high quality, commercial-free, HDTV service comes along, our $95 a month is going to the local cinema instead of brain-dead, crappy SD, commercial-ridden TV.

Voom was a ONE-OF-A-KIND! It was fantastic! I hope we will see the likes of it again someday!!

1080iBeVuMin said:
I bought our HDTV only for Voom and, like others here, never had satellite before. True enough, Voom HD and surround sound was outstanding.

What drives me nuts is to read thread after thread of ex-Voomers, many of whom yelled at Voom for bad PQ or not enough HD, now seem perfectly happy to go with Dish (HDLite) or DirecTV (HDLite) or cable (HDLite).

Our HDTV goes dark when Voom ends. Until another high quality, commercial-free, HDTV service comes along, our $95 a month is going to the local cinema instead of brain-dead, crappy SD, commercial-ridden TV.

Voom was a ONE-OF-A-KIND! It was fantastic! I hope we will see the likes of it again someday!!

Well I am going to resub to D* but trust me, if its worse than Voom I WILL bitch and moan!!!!!!!!

Hey vurb and DarrellP I am going to miss your posts when the Voom forum dissolves! I enjoyed all (or at least most of) your contributions -- entertaining, instructive, or otherwise!! Good luck to U both. :up

I feel bad for you guys :( I never had Voom, but it had lots of HD, I no the picture quality would not be like my 4dtv/hdd, and the cost of programming looked very high, but I still wish it made it...

vurbano said:
Well I am going to resub to D* but trust me, if its worse than Voom I WILL bitch and moan!!!!!!!!

I would be shocked if you didn't bitch and moan, it has to be tough to go back to them after all the HD-Lite talk (and I am not putting you down, I don't like the HD-Lite, multi-casting anymore then you, hard to believe I am getting better HD from a f'ing cable company in my area instead of DBS, how times have changed since DBS started )

As a Voomer for the past 8 months I need to ask a question. I've heard that *D and *E offer "hd-lite" and I'm assuming that means they just didn't have the resolution that Voom offered. Over the last month or two I had seen a big difference in the quality of the HD on Voom and then went to the forum and saw some posts talking about the changes being made to the system and that the resolution had been cut. Someone had acutally posted some data showing that the resolution numbers were lower than before. I know that the quality had changed because there was a loss of some of the detail I had been watching for many months (remember, I'm talking "by eye").

My question is this; Is the HDPQ on *D and *E that different from what we're presently getting on Voom? (sorry that this was so long).

LT

1080iBeVuMin said:
Hey vurb and DarrellP I am going to miss your posts when the Voom forum dissolves! I enjoyed all (or at least most of) your contributions -- entertaining, instructive, or otherwise!! Good luck to U both. :up
I agree, 1080iBeVuMin...and I hope the forum doesn't dissolve for a good long while, and that Vurbano and DarrellP will continue to provide their input. They've both given me lots of things to think about as I've been trying to learn. Vicki :bow :clap

lmtorres said:
...My question is this; Is the HDPQ on *D and *E that different from what we're presently getting on Voom?...
"HD-Lite" refers to the fact that any provider besides Voom has hardly any HD channels compared to Voom. Hey, when you get used to 40+ HD channels, it is hard to get excited about 8 HD channels again. That's why Dish, DirecTV, and cable were affectionately referred to as "HD-Lite".

Of course, when Voom goes dark and has zero HD channels, Voom will be the "HD-Lite".

Some say the PQ on the FEW HD channels on Dish and DirecTV was better than on Voom, and some say worse. I don't know because I only had Voom all this time.

VICKI, I am afraid you will lead the Voom cheers to empty bleachers in a couple of weeks. So sad. I am truly bummed by all of this...

1080iBeVuMin said:

Good luck to you too. I will miss everyone. We were part of something special here.

Hey fellow Voomers. Why did I join the forum after the announced dead date? Just thought I'd share some feedback I just received. (Or maybe sympathy.)

I've returned to D* after my 4 month forray into Voom, and only minutes ago was told by the D* customer support rep the only thing left for them was FCC approval on assuming the Voom programming. Perhaps.

The rumors point to Echostar being the lead candidate, and I realize this is speculation. However, if any of you are trying to decide D* is as likely a candidate as any other.

I was not HD D* before Voom, so Voom is my only HD experience. I can say without a shadow of a doubt D* standard definition channels were superior in quality on my system than Voom SD. (Which I found surprising in that the Voom box was the first component connected receiver I've owner.)

I am enough of a novice in the home theater world to be oblivious to explainations why this might be the case, but my eyes don't deceive me. I am *gulp* pleased to return to D* for better SD viewing.

vurbano said:

Double Bologna.

It is info from a CSR, it means nothing, hell, I could call up E* right now and ask about the NFL Sunday Ticket and the CSR will say they are working on it which would be Bologna for the next 5 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)