HD "movers" beware

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
newsposter said:
how does directv lose money by people having 'moved'? Dont people have to pay 1.50 for distance networks? I just can't see where they are losing money but i know someone will tell me
Murdoch is a BROADCASTER

i can just see a bunch of receivers sent to wrong addresses or being unattended..UPS and fedex...even for sig required deliveries, have gotten it only 1 time in all my years here.

Also, as noted above, this does nothing to prevent sharing of mirrored receivers, which i guess must not be as much of a problem or they would be going after that and also requiring phone lines for receivers to even work.

You guys are making way too much of this.

I had $22 worth of parts sent to me FedEx ground today that require an in person signature - no signature release will work.

Many businesses do that as they want to make sure they package is actually delivered and not stolen from a doorstep.

As I did have my first AT9 stolen at Chicago OHare airport when it stayed there overnight in a "secure American Airlines Luggage Center" yeah, right - I feel safe against terrorist now - I know first hand how things that say Directv on them get stolen.

It's simply good business practice to make sure it actually gets delivered.

It's not to "catch" movers. It's simply to make sure equipment gets into a person's hands at the residence.

newsposter said:
how does directv lose money by people having 'moved'? Dont people have to pay 1.50 for distance networks? I just can't see where they are losing money but i know someone will tell me
HD DNS channels are free if you qualify for HD DNS. The Standard Def DNS is $1.50/month.

Go figure....

newsposter said:
You need to start posting that legal term in some of the other threads. I've heard warranty replacements being 'converted'
I had a warranty replacement recently that was first converted to lease, then changed to "mirrored" on my account the next month.

I would actually prefer leased, since the box cost me nothing up front, it would cost nothing more per month if leased, and D* will replace it free if it breaks.

but I can order a h20 from ValueElectronics, activate it, and have nothing to worry about, right?

If delivering only to the service address isn't to catch these "movers" (which I kind of doubt it is, but who knows). Then why isn't a billing address ok? I assume maybe someone could talk them into it, but I that's just a guess.

Well, from some comments I've read all around, it sounds like this won't affect people with HD dvr's for now, or people outside those area's. I'm not sure why they are in such a hurry to turn certain DMA's off using mpeg2, when they are going to continue to send the channels that way for a couple more years.

Thats not going to save them bandwidth for now. The replacement receivers they have for the most part are inferior to what lots of people have for mpeg2. Plus they aren't even saying how they will deal with switching to that ugly new dish they are using. I'm sure it will affect me sometime, and when it does I'll just deal with it best I can. I've always just installed it all myself and will continue to do so.

I cannot get OTA in the mountains where that house is, so getting HD DNS is good. But if the crazy people won't ship to another address in my case, then they can keep it. I'll just cancel and figure out another option.

HDTVFanAtic said:
2) Notice the # 2) live in PST or MST zones and have HD- distant networks from LA besides the other West Coast Markets. This seems to indicate to me that the LA HD MPEG2 feed is disappearing from 101/110/110 so anyone that gets DNS service or waivers will need an MPEG4 IRD if they want to continue to receive the West Coast DNS - which may not continue to be from LA in the future.
That has been a rumor for a while now. My concern with the OP is that D*'s memos like this seem to end up posted online either here or somewhere else.

If you look at the markets that have been announced for HD locals, all of the MST/PST O&O's are being converted. Throw in a few thousand legitimate DNS subs and there is little reason to keep the LA feeds up in MPEG-2.

So the premise of the OP is probably correct.

newsposter said:
If they get caught providing customers with OOM feeds, the fines would easily exceed the dollars brought in.

The only problem is they can't turn off the LA DNS feed unless they have a DVR replacement? Or are they going to get an exemption and shift all the DVR's to east coast feed.

Makes no sense to me?

herdfan said:
If they get caught providing customers with OOM feeds, the fines would easily exceed the dollars brought in.

Good point. The objective has been to take advantage of MPEG4 for all HD. Its in the plans and things are moving albeit slowly. There however, may be a push by the powers that be to get rid of the feeds with hint hint, fines if necessary. And the fines may be more then the worth of the extra doe it brings. Hence, lets get this going where it makes the most sense, LA and West Coast markets. Thats how I would approach it too from a business perspective.

colofan said:
The only problem is they can't turn off the LA DNS feed unless they have a DVR replacement? Or are they going to get an exemption and shift all the DVR's to east coast feed.

Makes no sense to me?

Maybe the HD DVR is finally coming??? First step is remove non-HD DVRs, next DVRS this summer when ready. Timetable may be a Fall shut off. I dont see it happening either until the best effort is made to clear the slate so to speak.

colofan said:

Makes no sense to me?
Little they do makes sense from a customer's perspective.:confused:

They can't shift the customers to the East Coast feeds since the SHVERA prohibits receiving a DDS signal from an earlier time zone. They are already in violation providing CST with the EST feeds.

And what makes you think they would consider the HD DVR issue when shutting off customers? It doesn't seem to be a priority to them as it has been delayed several times, yet TiVo could probably have an MPEG-4 version ready in a month or two. Hell, E* was even able to get one out.:confused:

herdfan said:
....They are already in violation providing CST with the EST feeds...
How is this a violation when programming is shown simultaneously in EDT & CDT zones? A show that starts at 8pm EDT starts at 7pm CDT.

They only allow qualified addresses to receive HD DNS. If the customer gives D* a different address in order to qualify, that's not DirecTV's fault, it's the customers' fault.

Well, I guess the good news for us in the eastern half is that we get to see what happens out west. :D

I have seperate billing and service addresses. Let's call my service address a "weekend retreat". Am I not allowed to have D** service since I don't reside there full time? :eek:

Interesting to see what develops.

Slime line dish

Speaking of upgrades, has anyone gotten a slimline dish instead of a at9. I tried to order one and One CSR said yes another said no when reconfirming.:mad:

arxaw said:
They only allow qualified addresses to receive HD DNS. If the customer gives D* a different address in order to qualify, that's not DirecTV's fault, it's the customers' fault.

From Copyright law;

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#119

(D) Burden of proof.57 — In any action brought under this paragraph, the satellite carrier shall have the burden of proving that its secondary transmission of a primary transmission by a network station is for private home viewing to an unserved household.

[yawn]

I'm an "unserved household" that can't get certain networks OTA in HD, although D*'s qualification site says I can. Some local stations are still low power in my area and some aren't HD.

So I "moved".

even if mpeg4 dvr comes out today, how long do you think it will take to upgrade dishes? So Fall is no way gonna happen. They would have existing subs to replace PLUS all the new people signing up. Receivers can be mailed out but no way will directv be permitting self install dishes..mark my words on that one!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)