Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
HDNet Settles DIRECTV Lawsuit
The satcaster will keep one HDNet channel in its regular HD tier.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (December 7, 2007) -- HDNet has settled a lawsuit against DIRECTV that will keep one of its channels in the satcaster's basic HD programming package.

That's according to an article by Multichannel News.

HDNet sued DIRECTV last month to stop the satcaster from moving both HDNet and HDNet Movies to a new "HD Extra Pack" package that would cost subscribers $4.99 a month in addition to their regular $9.99 monthly "HD access fee."

The high-def network, co-founded by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, charged that fewer people would pay the additional $4.99. Consequently, the viewership for both HDNet and HDNet Movies would shrink considerably.

However, Cuban tells Multichannel News that the settlement will require DIRECTV to keep HDNet in the $9.99 basic HD package. HDNet Movies, however, will be moved to the $4.99 HD Extra Pack.

“HDNet will be fully distributed and HDNet Movies will be available on the Extra Pack Tier. It's a win-win for all involved," Cuban told Multichannel News.

Before the settlement, the two sides were scheduled to appear today for a hearing in a District Court in Dallas on HDNet's request for a permanent injunction to stop DIRECTV from moving the channels. The hearing was cancelled after the settlement.

Usually does, iceturkee. How many stories have you broken lately?

i'm retired, remember? and i would disagree about his record with attribution. its usually an ``industry insider'' which is a dead giveaway he stole the info.

i'm retired, remember? and i would disagree about his record with attribution. its usually an ``industry insider'' which is a dead giveaway he stole the info.

Or if it's a political story, it's the President or Vice-President! (No matter who is in office!)

And you Purtman ?

Jimbo

Not in here Jimbo, but I used to be in the media. I broke my share. Yourself?
It's just that most of the people in here who blast him have never broken anything themselves. So if those people are putting him down, they're obviously not comparing him to themselves. It just gets tiring to see all of these people who rip him but haven't done any of the same things they blast him on.

Care to share any of the ones you broke? Its the internet, anyone can say anything:rolleyes:
It's been a while. It was mainly high school, college and some minor-league baseball. Even a couple of MLB. Most of it was in eastern CT. I wrote for several papers in CT and MA and some for USA Today. It was mostly during the 1980s and some during the 1990s. Doing the MLB stuff and some NHL was fun, but when you cover MLB, you don't have any weekends off in the summer. I got out of the media business to get into IT. Truthfully, the sports media business today is pretty pathetic in most markets. Guys try to be edgy, forgetting that parents don't want their kids to hear the junk they put on the air. Most of them know little to nothing about sports so they're really coming off like idiots like Howard Stern but on sports radio.

My point is that many of the people in here who slam him act as though he's copying from them. They act holier than thou like they're the ones breaking the news and Swanni is copying from them. They remind me of the safety for the Steelers who this past week said the Steelers would beat the Patriots. I think we all know what happened there. If you're going to put somebody down and act like you're better than them, you better be doing a better job. I'm not saying I'm better than the others here, but I'm tired of reading all of the slamming of Swanni when, in reality, these people are way behind Swanni when it comes to breaking news.

It's been a while. It was mainly high school, college and some minor-league baseball. Even a couple of MLB. Most of it was in eastern CT. I wrote for several papers in CT and MA and some for USA Today. It was mostly during the 1980s and some during the 1990s. Doing the MLB stuff and some NHL was fun, but when you cover MLB, you don't have any weekends off in the summer. I got out of the media business to get into IT. Truthfully, the sports media business today is pretty pathetic in most markets. Guys try to be edgy, forgetting that parents don't want their kids to hear the junk they put on the air. Most of them know little to nothing about sports so they're really coming off like idiots like Howard Stern but on sports radio.

My point is that many of the people in here who slam him act as though he's copying from them. They act holier than thou like they're the ones breaking the news and Swanni is copying from them. They remind me of the safety for the Steelers who this past week said the Steelers would beat the Patriots. I think we all know what happened there. If you're going to put somebody down and act like you're better than them, you better be doing a better job. I'm not saying I'm better than the others here, but I'm tired of reading all of the slamming of Swanni when, in reality, these people are way behind Swanni when it comes to breaking news.
I dont doubt that you may have written some articles, but what stories did YOU break?

It's been over 20 years. I can't tell you exactly since it's been so long. Can we hear yours?

It's been over 20 years. I can't tell you exactly since it's been so long. Can we hear yours?
I never claimed to break any. You did. Now for proof all we get is, I wrote some stuff, but its been over 20 years so I cant remember?

I won't even get into it. I'm not the one who puts the guy down. Swanni does break some stories, yet there are many people on here who put him down. There are a lot of whiners on here and others who slam Swanni because somebody else did it. It's like the 2004 elections when John Kerry was called a "flip-flopper". I saw a recent movie which had clips about it. Most of the people who were asked about this called him a "flip-flopper" but couldn't tell you why they consider him one. If you're going to bash a guy, just make sure you can do what he did better than you did.
By the way, I won't use the specific names, but when the Spartanburg Phillies released one of their prospects and the Brewers also did the same, those were among the stories I broke. The Phillies' OF and the Brewers pitcher both came out of eastern CT.

Now that I have given you a couple of small examples, tell us about yours or are you busy hiding your George Costanza looks with somebody else's photo on your myspace page?

I won't even get into it. I'm not the one who puts the guy down. Swanni does break some stories, yet there are many people on here who put him down. There are a lot of whiners on here and others who slam Swanni because somebody else did it. It's like the 2004 elections when John Kerry was called a "flip-flopper". I saw a recent movie which had clips about it. Most of the people who were asked about this called him a "flip-flopper" but couldn't tell you why they consider him one. If you're going to bash a guy, just make sure you can do what he did better than you did.
By the way, I won't use the specific names, but when the Spartanburg Phillies released one of their prospects and the Brewers also did the same, those were among the stories I broke. The Phillies' OF and the Brewers pitcher both came out of eastern CT.

Now that I have given you a couple of small examples, tell us about yours or are you busy hiding your George Costanza looks with somebody else's photo on your myspace page?
First you wont get into it, then you give some obscure examples that cant be confirmed to be you?
Second, try reading a little slower, I NEVER CLAIMED TO BREAK ANY STORIES.....now that i have said it again, do you understand?

For the last part, watch the personal attacks. Everything on my page is me (why would i go find 60 pictures of someone else??), and the fact that you feel the need to try to criticize is childish at best and against forum rules. Keep it civil.

Basically, you're the one calling me a liar. That's getting indirectly personal. What I said was that people are going to bash others need to be able to do a better job than the person they bash. Enough said. Now about me criticizing ... that's what this is about. I mentioned that if people are going to bash Swanni, then do better. Do you want me to tell you on Page C1, June 23 1984 of the paper? I didn't come out bragging about breaking stories? I was asked if I ever did and told the truth. I asked you if you did and you never answered. Did you?

Basically, you're the one calling me a liar. That's getting indirectly personal. What I said was that people are going to bash others need to be able to do a better job than the person they bash. Enough said. Now about me criticizing ... that's what this is about. I mentioned that if people are going to bash Swanni, then do better. Do you want me to tell you on Page C1, June 23 1984 of the paper? I didn't come out bragging about breaking stories? I was asked if I ever did and told the truth. I asked you if you did and you never answered. Did you?

Find the quote where i called you a liar. I havent gotten personal with you indirectly or otherwise. I simply asked you to back up a a statement that you had made. You didnt the first time so I asked you again. You did say you had written for USA Today at least once, that should be fairly easy to prove. I get back to this being the internet, and people being able to say anything. If people want to thats fine, but they need to be able to back it up to be taken seriously.
Criticism is FINE, as long as its on the subject at hand, your personal statement about me or my page were not related to the subject in any way shape or form, and has no place here. You can take that to "the pit" if you would like, or PM me.
I did answer you when I stated "I never claimed to break any"(twice i might add). I dont have to prove something that I didnt claim to do.

If you want to go to the internet, go back to July 1986. If you want my by-line, look up when Roger Clemens lost to the Toronto Blue Jays after going 14-0. The story is in the upper right-hand page of the front of USA Today. I don't recall the exact date, but it was close to the All-Star Break. I have the front page in storage along with some of my old stuff.
Go find it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)