HD Net Test Pattern

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vashwood

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hi Guys, I just recorded the HDNET Test Pattern. I'm new to all this, so how do I actually use it to calibrate my TV?

They tell you a bit on the pattern what to do. It's kind of a basic pattern though.

What kind/type of TV do you have? You might need to access the TVs service menu to fine tune things.

I got a JVC 42" LCD 1080p.

I tried playing the pattern, but it didn't say anything. I just saw the test pattern and I saw a timer counting down from 10minutes.

I got a JVC 42" LCD 1080p.

I tried playing the pattern, but it didn't say anything. I just saw the test pattern and I saw a timer counting down from 10minutes.

The test pattern only runs for 10 minutes.
Thruout the 10 minutes it tells you briefly what each one is suppose to do, how ever it is VERY basic ...

Jimbo

Thanks. Is that test pattern the only way to calibrate the the TV for directv?

Thanks. Is that test pattern the only way to calibrate the the TV for directv?

No,
There are a lot of different calibration discs around, some better than others.

When you get one, make sure you calibrate all your inputs as many TV's have individual settings for each input.

Jimbo

Thanks. So you mean to plug in my DVD player to each of the TV's inputs?

That's sort of the problem. A DVD player could have different characteristics compared to the DTV receiver. Many sets also calibrate independently to the input.

Supposedly, all devices should be close but a bit of variation can occur. Since you have an LCD only one resolution is needed. On sets that support multiple the calibrations can differ with resolution.

My guess is an LCD should be a bit easier to calibrate compared to something like a RP CRT that have a staggering amount of calibration options.

Go with what your eyes see ....

If you really need to do an actual calibration, get a disc or hire someoone to come out and do it, but ultimatly it's going to come down to what YOU see.

You can get the best guy out there or the best disc out there and have it all calibrated and find out that it's nothing close to what you want to see or the way you like your set up.
What would you do then, say this is the way it should be, even if it doesn't look right to you , or are you going to set it up for what looks right to you ?

Everybody sees differently.

Yes they will help in pointing out different things to look for, as far as black and white levels, contrast and sharpness, but eventually it has to come down to what you see.

I could come over and set it up perfectly to what a disc says or what I feel is correct and you may think it's great or garbage ....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)