"HD: normal" or "stretch" on Dish remote?

akgarrett62

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Cookeville, TN
I have a Sharp 42" Aquos D64U model...i have it in dot by dot mode on my "view mode" on Sharp remote. I don't put it on "Stretch".

do you guys use normal mode on Dish remote for viewing HD?

I just want to get the HD channels to fill the screen of my TV w/o looking like everything is stretched.

do i have to put the TV on 16:9 mode, or make some changes?

I have a Sharp 42" Aquos D64U model...i have it in dot by dot mode on my "view mode" on Sharp remote. I don't put it on "Stretch".

do you guys use normal mode on Dish remote for viewing HD?

I just want to get the HD channels to fill the screen of my TV w/o looking like everything is stretched.

do i have to put the TV on 16:9 mode, or make some changes?

I use 'normal' for HD channels, and 'gray bar' for the SD channels (gray supposedly isn't as hard on your TV as black).

in dot by dot mode, if you have the dish receiver in normal mode, you will get the exact picture that is being sent by the channel.. This is how i prefer it because i don't like stretched crap... If you are wanting it to fill the entire screen, you are going to have to switch between stretch, normal, and zoom on the receiver depending on the channel and show you are watching.

I use 'normal' for HD channels, and 'gray bar' for the SD channels (gray supposedly isn't as hard on your TV as black).

His TV is an LCD so he does not have to worry about burn in or uneven wear on his TV... gray bars dont matter.

by the way, are there any tips or tricks on the dish receivers that may be helpful? i was a D* for a while, and this is my first "rodeo" with Dish.

thanks for the help.

i would leave it in dot by dot mode unless you are seeing black borders on true HD content...

With 16:9 your tv will have a few inches of over scan cutting off part of your picture. in dot by dot you will avoid that problem. As dennis said, you also want to make sure that your receiver is set to 720 or 1080 (whatever the default resolution of your TV is)

I have the Sharp AQUOS LC-46D62U and I keep mine at Dot to Dot. I also keep my Dish at stretch on SD channel cause I can't stand the black lines on a tv as big as mine. But I would be interested if there is an option to get picture as clear as can be if there better then dot to dot on my sharp or with the dish system.

I think i figured it out...when i went home at lunch, TV is on Dot by Dot...On Dish remote, made sure it is on Normal for both HD and SD...

here's what i changed to make it work...in Dish menu, i changed aspect ration to 16:9 . it was on one of the 4:3's.

all good now.

So, are people switching back and forth between Normal and Stretch when you are changing from HD to SD? I just leave mine on normal all the time.

if you want stretch mode on SD channels, toggle to the stretch mode using your * button on the bottom left portion of your remote. then, when you switch back to HD, make sure it's on normal mode. the remote will memorize your settings and switch to stretch on the SD channels and normal on the HD channels automatically. it's a nice feature.

if you want stretch mode on SD channels, toggle to the stretch mode using your * button on the bottom left portion of your remote. then, when you switch back to HD, make sure it's on normal mode. the remote will memorize your settings and switch to stretch on the SD channels and normal on the HD channels automatically. it's a nice feature.
If you are going to "stretch " on the sd channels to fill the screen,
I think partial zoom is better than stretch. People arent as wide and usually it doesnt cut off hardly any picture.
(If you have to stretch at all)

Why would anyone want to spend a bunch of doe on a TV and then stretch the image. Stretch-o-vision is the worst. Who wants to look at fat short people. If it was up to me I would make stretching a 4:3 image to 16:9 against the law.

I leave my TV on Normal mode so 4:3 shows with black pillar bars and 16:9 shows 16:9.

Why would anyone want to spend a bunch of doe on a TV and then stretch the image. Stretch-o-vision is the worst. Who wants to look at fat short people. If it was up to me I would make stretching a 4:3 image to 16:9 against the law.

I leave my TV on Normal mode so 4:3 shows with black pillar bars and 16:9 shows 16:9.

That's how i have mine set now. On SD it has the pillar bars, and the 16:9 fills the screen w/o being stretched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)