Status
Please reply by conversation.

allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Hopefully this is in the right place.

I'm currently a Dish customer with a small Ku? band dish on my house.

I'm curious about C-band as for me there is no Verizon and that would be the only way to get full HD other than OTA/Blu-Ray/HD DVD.

I see that Big Dish offers Discovery in HD. Are the other HD channels available via C-band anymore or just a few hit/miss?

There's 2 STARZ, 2 HBO's, WealthHD and NFLHD that all look great. Much better than what i get from DISHHD. There's also PBSHD that doesn't look all that great. Put it this way, "If a new bigdish receiver ever comes out for the BUD i will no longer be DISHNET customer".:D

Thanks...

So, there's no ESPN suite, Scripps (Food/HGTV), Voom, MGM, Smithsonian, HDNet (surprised on this one), etc.?

Thanks...

So, there's no ESPN suite, Scripps (Food/HGTV), Voom, MGM, Smithsonian, HDNet (surprised on this one), etc.?

Nope,
But, most are all on cband except VOOM. You just can't subscribe to them as there is no subscription based cband receiver able to decode the signals. But i do believe MGM is receivable by 4DTV. But, it appears nobodys in a hurry to do a deal with them and get it mapped for us. I got lucky one day and HDNET turned off their encryption and i was able to view it. Looked great as it was running at about 18 Mbps. Reminded me of how it looked on DISH before they kept adding HD channels and screwed them "ALL" up. This was with my HDDVB receiver. Have you ever thought about getting one of those. Mostly feeds but very high quality HD.

sorry to hijack, but will the big dish ever have more HD channels? Cause I can't stand to watch the compressed dish hd on that new hdtv.

I'm not a Dish Network customer. I don't miss it. With my big dish, I get a very nice variety of free programming, a lot in HD (average 18 -20 channels) . In not too long, I expect most to be in HD a with a few stations in SD.

It's true, you don't get to just come home and click on your favorite show. You have to stay informed, scan pretty often, and become conversant with loading transponder and channel data. Of course the internet has made all of that a lot easier, with the data at our fingertips.

I haven't personally seen any HD broadcasts fron Dish Net. or DirecTV, but I can state that the quality of HD picture I'm getting (mostly 720p, some 1080i) from the big dish has been amazing. I do have a 1080p projector unit of fairly good quality, projecting onto a 10 foot screen, so I do get to see the resolution and picture quality in a kind of magnification.

Let me put it this way, sometimes you look at the fine details and flaws in a person's face, and you kind of wish for the old days when you didn't get too much information.

One more thing - Lyngsat isn't the last or most current word on what's available up there either. Once you get the knack of how to load and scan, there is a lot more to see.

I'm not a Dish Network customer. I don't miss it. With my big dish, I get a very nice variety of free programming, a lot in HD (average 18 -20 channels) . In not too long, I expect most to be in HD a with a few stations in SD.

It's true, you don't get to just come home and click on your favorite show. You have to stay informed, scan pretty often, and become conversant with loading transponder and channel data. Of course the internet has made all of that a lot easier, with the data at our fingertips.

I haven't personally seen any HD broadcasts fron Dish Net. or DirecTV, but I can state that the quality of HD picture I'm getting (mostly 720p, some 1080i) from the big dish has been amazing. I do have a 1080p projector unit of fairly good quality, projecting onto a 10 foot screen, so I do get to see the resolution and picture quality in a kind of magnificsation.

Let me put it this way, sometimes you look at the fine details and flaws in a person's face, and you kind of wish for the old days when you didn't get too much information.

One more thing - Lyngsat isn't the last or most current word on what's available up there either. Once you get the knack of how to load and scan, there is a lot more to see.
Thanks for you info.......:D:D:D

This is all the HD programming NPS offers to it's subscribers:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Showtime HDTV West G0-120
HBO HDTV East G9-118
HBO HDTV West G9-120
Discovery HD Theater C3-617
Starz HDTV East G9-122
Starz HDTV West G9-124

The only thing I could find at Skyvision was:

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]NFL Network HDTV (when available) [/FONT]

FTA has more to offer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)