arty100

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Wisconsin
FYI,

I talked with a CSR this afternoon that walked me through EVERY STEP
to get my 811 and DISH 500 to display a program guide on my OTA
Digital Channels. (ALL I GET IS : LOCAL DIGITAL)

(I am a former VOOMER and cannot believe that E* seems to be having
such a problem with this as VOOM DID NOT.)

She walked me thru tech menus and I gave her data and she claimed
to make a formal engineering report on this issue.

I have a 61.5 DIsh install going on Friday. I will try to "pin down"
the installer on that if it's still not working.

Nothing like "flying blind".

I will pass along whatever I hear to get this important function working.

Is it possible that your locals are delivered via 105 or 121 satellite location?
If so, then you would need a superdish in order to receive local channel guide information.

Dumb question, did you subscribe to your locals? You must in order to get the info in your guide. It's lame, I know, why sub to the locals when you get everything OTA digital, makes no sense. All of Portland's locals now broadcast PSIP guide data. Dish needs to get off the pot (the smoking kind) and implement local PSIP guide data. I guess it's their way of making another $5/sub/month.

DarrellP said:
Dumb question, did you subscribe to your locals? You must in order to get the info in your guide. It's lame, I know, why sub to the locals when you get everything OTA digital, makes no sense. All of Portland's locals now broadcast PSIP guide data. Dish needs to get off the pot (the smoking kind) and implement local PSIP guide data. I guess it's their way of making another $5/sub/month.
I don't subscribe to local channels and I get the program guide for my OTA HD channels just fine.

MP

MP:

Do you have the SuperDish ?

I think that is my problem, but Dish seems hesitant to identify
that as causing my problem.

Thanks

arty100 said:
FYI,

I talked with a CSR this afternoon that walked me through EVERY STEP
to get my 811 and DISH 500 to display a program guide on my OTA
Digital Channels. (ALL I GET IS : LOCAL DIGITAL)

(I am a former VOOMER and cannot believe that E* seems to be having
such a problem with this as VOOM DID NOT.)
The Dish 811 seems to have a problem with the PSIP stream from some digital OTA stations. LG, Samsung, nobody else seems to have these problems. Dish insists that the problem lies with the stations

Here in the OKC area, I get guide data for 3 of the 8 local digital stations. I don't have a SuperDish. I do have Dish locals, but they aren't required to get OTA guide data on the 811. They are required for the 921 to get OTA guide data.

arty100 said:
Do you have the SuperDish ?
No, I don't. I have the Dish 500 and Dish 300 that I've had for several years. I don't think I've ever seen a SuperDish. I think that all my locals (Indianapolis) can be received on the Dish 500 but I don't get them since the OTA HD channels are much better.

Mario

DarrellP said:

921/942 are the ones that you have to subscribe to locals before you get guide data! The 811 as of yet, (could change) doesn't require locals subscription!

The OTA DTV or ATV station guide data on the 811 isn't from PSIP, it is from Dish Networks LIL channels, why the 811/921/942 is set up this way is beyond me, but they are. If you have a regular OTA tuner (something other than a DN receiver) it will use the PSIP stream to show what is on, whats next etc... Dish Network receivers only use the PSIP data to map channels, nothing else.

tonyp56 said:
921/942 are the ones that you have to subscribe to locals before you get guide data! The 811 as of yet, (could change) doesn't require locals subscription!

The OTA DTV or ATV station guide data on the 811 isn't from PSIP, it is from Dish Networks LIL channels, why the 811/921/942 is set up this way is beyond me, but they are. If you have a regular OTA tuner (something other than a DN receiver) it will use the PSIP stream to show what is on, whats next etc... Dish Network receivers only use the PSIP data to map channels, nothing else.
-----------------

Sorry, what is LIL ?

Chris

tonyp56 said:
...The OTA DTV or ATV station guide data on the 811 isn't from PSIP, it is from Dish Networks LIL channels, why the 811/921/942 is set up this way is beyond me, but they are. If you have a regular OTA tuner (something other than a DN receiver) it will use the PSIP stream to show what is on, whats next etc... Dish Network receivers only use the PSIP data to map channels, nothing else.
So Tony, how many OKC digital stations do you get there? How many show EPG data for OTA? I only get EPG for 4 of 8 stations. And I do have Dish locals. All the Dish locals have correct guide data.

My OTA stations all map to their respective analog channels except one (34), but I only get OTA guide data for KFOR, KOKH, KOCO, and one indie. Notably missing is KWTV (CBS).

If some of the channels can get EPG data, and some can't, then it's a Dish problem.

arty100 said:
-----------------

Sorry, what is LIL ?

Chris

Local into Local, what it means is the channels that Dish Network supplies to us over the satellite and places in the same channel number that the local station would be if we received it with a over the air (OTA) antenna, I guess another way of saying it would be satellite delivered local stations!

mdonnelly said:
So Tony, how many OKC digital stations do you get there? How many show EPG data for OTA? I only get EPG for 4 of 8 stations. And I do have Dish locals. All the Dish locals have correct guide data.

My OTA stations all map to their respective analog channels except one (34), but I only get OTA guide data for KFOR, KOKH, KOCO, and one indie. Notably missing is KWTV (CBS).

If some of the channels can get EPG data, and some can't, then it's a Dish problem.

Well, I only get guide data for 23, 25, 34 (sometimes), and that is it, everything else says "Local Digital" (channel 9, 11, 13, 4, 44, 52, 62, and 41 and of course all of the SUB channels (PBS is the coolest, PBS Kids, You, Now plus the HD feed of PBS all on 13 and 11 even though they are only certain hours). One note on channel 34, before 287 it was mapped to 33-1, now it is mapped to 34-1 like it is supposed to be. Do you have 287 or are you still on 284? If you do have 287 that would be interesting knowing mine started working right and yours didn't.

Yes, I know, that is why it is stupid for the DN receivers not to use the PSIP data like any other DTV OTA receiver would. Instead they have some kind of funky guide to where it uses some of the PSIP, not for data, but to link it to the Dish Network satellite delivered locals and therefore their guide data! It seems to me that they could make it a lot easier by having a OTA tuner that works like any other tuner, and if they don't want people to cancel their Dish subscription and have a OTA tuner cheap, they could still disable it if there is no satellite.

tonyp56 said:
Well, I only get guide data for 23, 25, 34 (sometimes), and that is it, everything else says "Local Digital" (channel 9, 11, 13, 4, 44, 52, 62, and 41 and of course all of the SUB channels (PBS is the coolest, PBS Kids, You, Now plus the HD feed of PBS all on 13 and 11 even though they are only certain hours)...
Yeah, I'm still on P2.84. Before that, with P2.82, 34 did map right, but now it doesn't. So if P2.87 fixed it, then there's hope for the rest with some new firmware down the road.
tonyp56 said:
... It seems to me that they could make it a lot easier by having a OTA tuner that works like any other tuner, and if they don't want people to cancel their Dish subscription and have a OTA tuner cheap, they could still disable it if there is no satellite.
Makes sense to me. What I worry about is E* taking away the ATSC tuner when they start sending LIL-HD, or charging extra for enabling OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts