HD OTA Dayton, OH

crawldad_jr

Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
I've been patiently waiting for Dish Network to give us our Dayton locals in HD. But with the Ohio State-Michigan game this weekend, I couldn't wait anymore. I went to Radioshack and bought a VU-120XR Antenna. I wasn't too keen on trying to get it up our antenna tower so I decided to try it in our attic. I still can't believe it but it worked fine. I put it together and it's just sitting in our attic. We live in Greenville and I just looked at our neighbors' outdoor antenna and tried to point it in the same direction toward Dayton as theirs. I dropped the cable behind the wall, installed a box and cover plate, connected it to our ViP622 DVR antenna input, scanned for digital channels, and that was it. I did have to move the antenna around a little to find a "sweet spot" but no problems. I get all the local channels in HD. I watched the game in HD, wished I had done this a LONG time ago, and just wanted to share the news and encourage others to give it a shot. We live about 30-35 miles from the towers and we get everything. DON'T WAIT FOR DISH NETWORK!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more!

I have a little rabbit ear antenna here 10 miles north of Cincinnati (45 or so miles south of Dayton) and I can pick up DAYTON channels 2 (NBC) 7 (CBS) 16* (PBS 2-4 channels) and 45* (Fox+MyTV)
*marginal signal. If there is too much weather I will lose these

But remember I have RABBIT EARS, not an outside antenna! (yet)

Of course I get All the Cincinnati locals 5 (NBC + Weather Plus), 9 (ABC+ Radar), 12 (CBS+ CW), 14 Oxford (PBS -2 to 4 channels), 19 (Fox+ The Tube), 43 Richmond (TBN + Church Channel, JCTV, Smile of a Child and Enlace), 48 (PBS HD + Create --the SD channel has a different schedule) and 64 (MyTV)

See ya
Tony

Has NBC in Dayton finally gone to HD? My mom lives there and as of last year the local NBC affiliate wasn't broadcasting in HD. I am curious because I am going back there for Thanksgiving this week.

Jim

as for me we have we can pick up 5, 9, 12, 19, 48, and 64 out of cinci, and then we have 2, 7, 22, 45, out of dayton 16 and 14 which are the pbs. oh yeah and 43(richmond) and thats living in the middle of the country in preble County between Eaton and Oxford.

I don't think that wdtn channel 2 is in HD.

NBC is broadcasting in HD now Jimzo. That's a pretty good idea PDXSAM. I had someone come out a few months ago to estimate how much it would cost to install one on the tower and it was around $500. Couldn't believe it. I might find enough courage to climb up it someday. It's at least 25 feet up and I don't like to venture too far from the ground.

I can confirm that WDTN (which is NBC again now after a couple of decades of it being ABC) is indeed in HD. They have 2.1 in HD when available on 2.2 in SD. A colosal waste of bandwidth IMHO.

See ya
Tony

Go Bucks!

I live in Xenia, about 20 miles from the towers, and am picking up all local HD broadcasts with an antenna that's just sitting on top of my cabinet. I've been a huge OTA HD fan since the onset, and will never pay cable or sat. companies for compressed versions of these channels.

If you decide to put up a second antenna on the pole to pick up another area, be sure to provide enough separation between the two. I made this mistake and it affected reception for my primary market. I'm not an antenna expert, and it took me quite a bit of forum searching to determine and correct this problem.

Enjoy,

- Shane

I couldn't agree more!

I have a little rabbit ear antenna here 10 miles north of Cincinnati (45 or so miles south of Dayton) and I can pick up DAYTON channels 2 (NBC) 7 (CBS) 16* (PBS 2-4 channels) and 45* (Fox+MyTV)
*marginal signal. If there is too much weather I will lose these

But remember I have RABBIT EARS, not an outside antenna! (yet)

Of course I get All the Cincinnati locals 5 (NBC + Weather Plus), 9 (ABC+ Radar), 12 (CBS+ CW), 14 Oxford (PBS -2 to 4 channels), 19 (Fox+ The Tube), 43 Richmond (TBN + Church Channel, JCTV, Smile of a Child and Enlace), 48 (PBS HD + Create --the SD channel has a different schedule) and 64 (MyTV)

See ya
Tony

Hamilton / Fairfield Township area here..

I'm in a similar situation, indoor rabbit ear antennas only (one powered Phillips in the living room, one non-powered RCA in the bedroom). In the living room, I get:

NBC (5 - Cincinnati, 2 - Dayton)
CBS (12 - Cincinnati, 7 - Dayton)
ABC (9 - Cincinnati, 22 - Dayton)
FOX (19 - Cincinnati, 45 - Dayton)
PBS (14, 16, 48)
CW (26 - Dayton, 12.2 - Cincinnati [no HD through])

I get the religious channels on 43, but block them as I have no intrest in them. In the bedroom I get the same, except for 9 (only VHF, hard to pull in there without losing others) and 26.

I'm sure I would get amazing signal strength on nearly all channels if I went with an outdoor antenna, but for now I am happy. Every channel stays locked on, once I found my "sweet spot" in each room (which, granted, was frustrating to find).

Love having all this availability OTA, but still pay for locals through E* so I have additional recording capability for network shows on the 622 (not everything the wife and I record is in HD, but most of it is).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)