HD OTA in Pittsburgh

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

djm833

Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I recently requested waivers for the HD feeds for NBC, ABC and Fox. I already have CBS out of NY. I was told that DTV no longer provides access to the east/west coast HD feeds for customers in areas with stations that are not network owned.

I live in a relatively deep valley surrounded by tall trees and although I am supposedly within range of the towers (less than 10 miles) I cannot get an OTA signal with an indoor antenna. Has anyone had a reasonable solution to a similar problem? I do have to keep in mind the wife acceptance factor and some cost considerations and asthetic issues. Is there any way to get a vendor to guarantee performance without having to erect a huge antenna?

DJ

Unfortunately probably not

I live in the Peters Township area. I've found attic mount setups to not be very functional - plus you've got varied azimuths to get to. One group is at around 15-19deg, another is around 29deg and one more at 99deg. I'm about 12.5 miles from any of them, and have a CM flyswatter on a rotator on my roof. It does pretty well for some of the, and not so well for others. If the antenna were not mounted high up (or as large) I wouldn't get anything. What cable provider do you have? I switched from Dish to Adelphia because I got tired of Dish problems, and because Adelphia has gotten a lot better (and has twice as much HD content).

Hmm interesting, I talked to someone in the DN Eligibility department and she had indicated that they work working on getting the waivers so I could get the New York Network feeds even though I get all of the locals in my area through Directv.

I see you posted this here too. It should be here so I'll post my other comments.

We also recently called DirecTV about getting waivers in the Pittsburgh area. Our situation is that we are surrounded by hills and Pittsburgh in relation to most towers. We can get WTAE fairly easily but everything else is a no go. Our house was basically inserted into an area cut into the side of a hill. So behind the house facing North, there is wall of rock, and we can't seem to get past it. I believe an expensive indoor antenna may do it, but I am also nervous.

The CSR I spoke with said they would put in the request but to only expect one or two of the stations to agree to it. They said it would be some time before we knew.

Thanks. Perhaps like most organizations the correct answer depends upon who you speak with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)