HD Output decision- local antenna only?

mhowie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
The 722 (and other) receiver(s) have the option to output the signal in either 720p or 1080i (Menu/6/8). However, when one enters that menu option, there is wording which is specific to local channels being delivered via an external source (antenna, cable, etc.).

My question is whether the 720p or 1080i option is specific/relevant to just those externally provided local channels or is it in force for every channel output from the 722 box (e.g., ESPN HD- 720p, CNN HD- 1080i)?

Thanks,

Just to expand a bit, that menu option is to tell the box what kind of TV you have. If you have a 1080, you set it to 1080i, if you only have a 720p resolution TV, set it to that, so that the video output most closely resembles the display resolution.

Just to expand a bit, that menu option is to tell the box what kind of TV you have. If you have a 1080, you set it to 1080i, if you only have a 720p resolution TV, set it to that, so that the video output most closely resembles the display resolution.

What if it is a 768p set?

The 722 (and other) receiver(s) have the option to output the signal in either 720p or 1080i (Menu/6/8). However, when one enters that menu option, there is wording which is specific to local channels being delivered via an external source (antenna, cable, etc.).

My question is whether the 720p or 1080i option is specific/relevant to just those externally provided local channels or is it in force for every channel output from the 722 box (e.g., ESPN HD- 720p, CNN HD- 1080i)?

Thanks,

The settings on this page are somewhat mis-aligned. The 'Analog Type' is for what type of Off Air Module input signal is used, and since the ViPs only have an ATSC tuner, the menu setting is obsolete (although it will mess you up if set incorrectly). Older HD tuners with internal tuner could pick up ATSC and NTSC as well as basic cable signals.

The Dish receivers do not offer any type of "Native" passthru for resolution. One must choose the 480, 720 or 1080 resolutions for output to the TV.

For those of us who have LCD TVs that are 1368 x 768 resolution, the TV's internal scalers convert all the signals to the panels native resolution.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts