hd ppv?

iml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Fairly new subscriber to DISH, they don't really seem to have any HD PPV movie channels...am I missing something? I would probably watch PPV movies if they were in HD.

Dish only has one HD PPV channel (9467). Unfortunately, it usually doesn't have good selections. Some speculate that Hollywood is paranoid about allowing first-release films to be shown in HD without positive control over people being able to copy them. Dish could shut-off or down-rez the analog component outputs, but that would p*ss-off lots of customers even more.

you would think they would be able to get movies somehow...hbohd has them

noremac said:
Some speculate that Hollywood is paranoid about allowing first-release films to be shown in HD without positive control over people being able to copy them. Dish could shut-off or down-rez the analog component outputs, but that would p*ss-off lots of customers even more.

Incorrect.

Dish's HDMI is not HDCP compliant so it has no such ability.

Dish only has access to 1) Dreamworks 2) IMAX and 3) Small Independent Studios for HD. You will notice that is EXACTLY what Time Warner has for its PPV HD on cable and that DOES have the ability to down-rez analog along with no output to a DVHS on it's 5c firewire ports.

If you look further you will notice DIRECTV and BEV BOTH have access to other studio's HD movies on PPV, so they ARE AVAILABLE via satellite. BEV has 4 channels of HD PPV going all the time.

It's clear that Dish and the studios just have not come to terms. Dreamworks, as we know in retrospect, was cash strapped, and clearly easier to come to deals with as Time Warner and Dish both accomplished HD deals quickly.

That Time Warner cannot even get HD PPV from their own studio clearly says something.

And technically, Dish has a HD PPV on 148 (9428) though it duplicates what is on 9467 - but at a much higher bitrate.

One of the main reasons I switched from Comcast to Dish was to get more HD programming. Dish easily beats Comcast in the number of HD channels, however, I think Comcast HD channels loooked a little better (purely a subjective opinion). Comcast did not have a lot of HD PPV movies, but easily beats dish. The Comcast ON-Demand always had about 5 to 10 movies playing in HD, some were older movies and were free (watched the Fifth Element for free in HD and it was superb). The newer movies never seemed to be the ones I really wanted to watch. Another thing that really bothers me is that dish shows very view SD movies in the widescreen format. I refuse to pay $4 for a movie that is clipped off when I can go to BlockBuster and get the widescreen version.

Based on HD movie selection, I would have to say that the Motion Picture Industry is limiting the HD PPV content. These companies, like the music companies, tend to be run by old men who refuse to give up their 1950's business model. I would easily pay $1 more for a pay per view movie in HD over going to Blockbuster and renting a DVD that has to be upscaled. It will be interesting to see how or if these Movie Companies adapt as more and more people get HD televisions and want to see movies in high resolution. While the execs at these companies seem to fear HD, I can easily picture a day where movies were released straight to PPV in HD and could make the companies more money than they do at a box office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts