HD + PVR + Dual Tuner?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Merlin2000

Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
USA
I'm looking around into the FTA market. There are a couple local HD stations that I can pickup with a satellite dish.

With the little research I've done, I haven't been able to find a solid receiver.

It feels like I am picking out a car. There are so many items to pick from, and not a single place that says this is the best one on the market.

I'm looking for an HD capable PVR that includes a dual tuner.

I would like to be able to watch and record HD in the living room, as well as the bedroom.

Dish Network did all of the wiring about 4 months ago (including the satellite dish) and now I'm ready to drop them. Since I mainly watch news, I figure I could get the majority of my stuff over FTA directly form the news stations (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've look at the Viewsat 9000 HD as well as a Coolsat 8100 HD... what do I get?

Also, can I just go to the local pawn shop and pickup a satellite? Is there any particular model that I need? Do I need one specifically for HD signals? I've heard people talk about motors too, not sure why that would be needed.

Please help a newb out!

I would certainly choose the Coolsat 8100 over a Viewsat. That being said, there are no "excellent" HD FTA receivers out there yet. The Coolsat 8100 will get you PVR functionality, HD, and DVB-S2 without add-on cards. It will not blind scan, you'd still need to use an SD receiver such as the Coolsat 5000 or a Visionsat IV-200 for blind scan. Nothing will blind scan DVB-S2 signals yet.

Blind scan is just useful for when you don't have one of those bird dogs right?

Why would I want the Coolsat over the Viewsat?

Does the Coolsat have dual tuners? Is the PVR any good?

Blind scan as well as the second tuner in the VS do squat all.

Though, I have locked a DVB-S2 transponder on AMC-21, twice. Never did get video though.

PVR on the VS is okay. Can't watch anything else while recording. Can't schedule a recording without EPG info though which is a pain. Gotta sit there and hit the record/stop button. Can't pause for commercials like a VCR can. But you can play the recordings on a Windows/Linux box. It will format a HD in either FAT32 or EXT2. Works with drives at least 500GB. I don't the PVR functions very often.

Vantage does make a HD dual tuner pvr that has hardware DVB-S2 blindscan that works in North America 60Hz NTSC/ATSC . But, at about $800 by the time you get it from Europe....

What about with the CS?

I guess the PVR stuff isn't really all that great then? How can you not be able to pause? It's like saying you can watch a movie, but can't hit the stop button lol...

I only mentioned VS because I heard about it from a friend, no idea how good/bad it really is.

I'm not going to drop $800 just to be able to watch a couple HD channels.

So in reality, there isn't a dual tuner, HD, PVR available, is that right?

The VS doesn't have a PVR with reasonable functions/features, is that right? Does anyone else make them?

What's the best, reasonable priced model around for what I need?

I'm not going to drop $800 just to be able to watch a couple HD channels.

So in reality, there isn't a dual tuner, HD, PVR available, is that right?

correct. But I guess the big question is what you are looking to pick up. Free to air is not a substitute for Dish/Direct cable. Its more of an enhancement. Also you can probably use 2 receivers instead of a dual tuner unit.

Right now I just pay the monthly satellite fee for the basic lineup. I would want to be able to watch 12 news, and a couple local SD stations.

Currently, I can record using my main receiver. I am able to watch TV while it records. Once it is done recording, I can watch that same recording on my other tv (2nd tv uses RF remote to connect to the main receiver). The 2nd TV does SD only.

So.. the best possible solution, is find 1 HD PVR, and 1 SD PVR.

Assuming that is correct, do I need a special satellite? Does any satellite work? As long as I have a bird dog, I should be ok to pickup the signal right? I have a friend who works for DirectTV that has all of the equipment.

Is there anything else that I would need?

Thanks for the helpful info!

Right now I just pay the monthly satellite fee for the basic lineup. I would want to be able to watch 12 news, and a couple local SD stations.

This sounds like it's taking a turn towards an OTA solution. Have you considered this? Since you are paying for the basic lineup right now, the fear is you are too far away from the local station transmitters to get a decent signal. But, it might be good to cover that base.

My neighbor mentioned he's doing this, so I would assume the signal is good enough to be picked up a few houses down. I'm never home enough to watch the news when it comes on, so I want something where I can set to record HD, and pause/play/stop/rewind/forward, etc..

OTA is just the rabbit ears right? I thought that's being discontinued...?

OTA is just the rabbit ears right? I thought that's being discontinued...?

No and no.

I have a big 'ol antenna that went up last year. All the local stations here (and most anywhere, likely) are broadcasting in digital and HD now. It's not going away, it's getting better.

Now we might look into what ATSC boxes do what you want, recording-wise and such. Not an area I'm familiar with.

You will likely need to research [Google] OTA boxes w/PVR function if there is such a thing yet. There are higher end units that may fit your needs. I dont know what Tivo's offerings are for an HD compliant unit, but you might look into that as well.
Cracklin, I did not know the VS would do real S2. I was under the impression that the Turbo board didnt do our flavor of HD.
Merlin, a member here contacted Sonicview about true S2 compliance. FWIW here's the post.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1528718-post13.html
I havent seen anything else on the subject. From what I've read the SV 8000 would be the best Asian built box for the job, but AFAIK it is still designed for TurboFEC. If they ever do offer an S2 compliant board, I suspect I'll get in line for one of these lil' jewels myself.
Although not native HD, there are some news offerings on DCII subbed boxes, you might be interested in looking over. DCII signals need a GI/Motorola built DRS905, 920, or 922 IRD and you might even find a HDD200 HD decoder to go with it if you look around. The 905 is designed to be 'slaved' to an analog C band IRD.
I do not know what if any news feeds/subs are available on DCII in HD.
You are C band capable and ready right????

Can a single satellite dish spawn out multiple connections?

So if I had two receivers, I could have either one or two signals being taken from the dish?

OTA HD only:

Some HD FTA receivers also record HD OTA (off the air, local signals).
However, none have a guide, so far as I'm aware.
Last year, I actually considered buying an FTA box, JUST to use the OTA recording capability.
I was too disappointed, once I understood its limitations, and did not follow through.

A reasonable OTA-only PVR, is available from Dish Network.
Once you buy it, it's free to use forever - no subscription at all.

There is more info to be found (discussions) on our OTA HD department.
Just thought I'd bring it up so you were fully informed.

Cracklin, I did not know the VS would do real S2. I was under the impression that the Turbo board didnt do our flavor of HD.

The 8PSK board that many people think is a "must have" won't tune DVB-S2. It only works with turbo 8PSK and regular QPSK DVB-S signals.

The primary tuner in a VS9000 is capable of DVB-S2. But, as I said, I've only locked a DVB-S2 PBS transponder on AMC21 twice. Scanned in the channels, and no video because the lock would come and go. Haven't been able to lock it in at all for a few weeks. I get the DVB-S PBS channels on the same sat in the 80s and 90s but not Louisiana PBS.

There are some other S2 transponders that I know of but haven't been able to lock them. The VS doesn't give you a Q reading when you're on a S2 transponder either which is just dumb.

Anybody have a strong S2 transponder that I could try out? This is where a BLSA would be handy but alas, no money right now.

T
Anybody have a strong S2 transponder that I could try out? This is where a BLSA would be handy but alas, no money right now.

try the ones listed on Gal-14, they max out signal an Q on the Pan, they are encripted, but you can test it to get a lock. lyngsat has the wrong SR but all of the other info is right, set SR to 30,000. now if you can lock it, it should scan in, when I had my Viewcrap it never lock any S2 signals at all.

The 8PSK board that many people think is a "must have" won't tune DVB-S2. It only works with turbo 8PSK and regular QPSK DVB-S signals.

The primary tuner in a VS9000 is capable of DVB-S2. But, as I said, I've only locked a DVB-S2 PBS transponder on AMC21 twice. Scanned in the channels, and no video because the lock would come and go. Haven't been able to lock it in at all for a few weeks. I get the DVB-S PBS channels on the same sat in the 80s and 90s but not Louisiana PBS.

There are some other S2 transponders that I know of but haven't been able to lock them. The VS doesn't give you a Q reading when you're on a S2 transponder either which is just dumb.

On Ku band try 103W,
12000 H 30000 FEC 5/6 Pilot= ON
NBC HD feeds
DVB-s2 8psk

Bah... I was hoping nobody would suggest that one. I even have the LNB adjusted for the funky skew on AMC1 and get the 422 ones fine. Of course, no video. But nooooo no S2, even with the 1 meter dish.

If I move my dish 2 hits either direction, I lose the signal. Try using Diseqc 1.2 mode and bumping the dish one step at a time. I'm using a 90cm dish on my CS8000. Aim seems to be crucial for these DVB-S2 signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts