HD Question...

crimpshrine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
NC
I am thinking of getting HD but the thing I hated when I had HD on cable was when I had one tv set on a SD and one on a HD tv, the HD tv had a delay. Does Dish have a delay betweeen the SD and HD feed?

From my non-tech backround. It seems that every company, sat or cable does this. I figured it was caused by one or maybe both of these reasons.

1) The two signals were slighty off from the station, or,

2) The equipment that the cable/sat company uses causes it. The SD signal goes though a different machine than the HD signal. One is slightly faster than the other.

I could be totally off, but its what I assume and I am happy with either explanation!

But yes, most stations are slightly off in regard to the timing of the SD and HD.

One transit of 22000 (-4000?) miles each way would be a fractional second delay but actually the signal may go up and down several times. Watch some news interviews and depending on where it takes place the reporter looks dumb longer than others, particularly with the Middle East, which might go to London first.

As for HD vs SD, there is more processing (including in your set) of the HD signal so expect it to be later. This might be observerable from set to set in the store. The same happens in TV sound vs direct to sound system.

-Ken

RE: HD / SD TBS baseball playoffs

Trying to watch the TBS HD signal on that hunk of junk 129 satellite (tp6) I had to switch between HD and SD about 6 or 7 times an hour...and noticed that the lag difference was between 7-10 seconds. Also had SD Comcast on and the lag time was roughly the same...cable was ahead in time. If you don't want to go nuts you need to have all the tvs connected to the same source.

One transit of 22000 (-4000?) miles each way would be a fractional second delay but actually the signal may go up and down several times. Watch some news interviews and depending on where it takes place the reporter looks dumb longer than others, particularly with the Middle East, which might go to London first.

As for HD vs SD, there is more processing (including in your set) of the HD signal so expect it to be later. This might be observerable from set to set in the store. The same happens in TV sound vs direct to sound system.

-Ken

I don't believe it has anything to do with the extended processing time of your set because HD is not always behind SD. Tonight, right now, TNT SD is a good 20-30 seconds behind the HD feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)