HD questions

Deets

Original poster
May 11, 2007
OK, I know these are going to sound kind of stupid, but here goes nothing.
I just got a new TV (57in RP 1080p) and I do not have HD programing now. I fiured I could get by for a little while, but the picture is really awful (480i strech).

My first question is will the HD receiver give me a better picture even on the non HD channels? I guess anything is better than what I have now. The picute is not so clear and the image seems streched. I know it is in strech mode, but the edges are really bad. I don't mind getting the HD programing but if it is only going to make the picture better on 27 channels, then I don't think it will be worth it.

Second, I called Dish network and asked about thier promotions, they said they had non for me, since I am a customer already. I noted that I had been giving them money for years now and they are willing to give others better deals then me. Is there anyone who can understand my anger at dish network I could talk to besides phone support, who really does not give a H-E-double hockey sticks if I leave or not? This to me is bad business. I am ready to drop them for some/anyone else. Any thoughts?

I guess I should stop rambling now.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys.

Also I am moving this thread to the Dish Network forum so maybe it will get seen to get some answers.

I will also answer your first question. Even if you get an HD receiver, the SD channels will still look the same pretty much. They may look a little better if you use component or HDMI cables.

Its even worse if your using coax insead of s-video or composite from the box.
SD up converted by the vip 622 looks much better than the DVR 510 through coax.

SD stretched, i perfer 4:3 and pillar black bars

Last edited:
Dishin' it up?

I thought that most existing customers qualified for the DIU promotion, that is leasing a DVR with the upfront charge given back in rebates? Maybe your situation is different? You could try another call to CS, Dish has offshore CS and they can be variable.

HTH, Eric

I thought that most existing customers qualified for the DIU promotion, that is leasing a DVR with the upfront charge given back in rebates? Maybe your situation is different? You could try another call to CS, Dish has offshore CS and they can be variable.

HTH, Eric

I think OP's anger comes from new customers getting the 622 pretty much for free while existing customers (even those who never had HD) having to pony up the lease fee. There are some rebates in place, but they do not cover the total amount.

The current Dish It Up program gets you a 622 for $99.00 after $50 rebate/credit, as long as you have not upgraded within the last year.

Call Dish and talk to the technical department. Explain your concern about the 622. If you are a "VIP" customer with perfect payment record for several years. Dish Techs will work with you!!!!!!! I am proof of this!!!!! 7 year perfect customer who just got 622 for $0.

The Technical department can do everything and MORE than any CSR. They know all too!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

The current Dish It Up program gets you a 622 for $99.00 after $50 rebate/credit, as long as you have not upgraded within the last year.

Its still not $0.00 strictly speaking, but if approached right Dish would probably give a 622 for free for a programming package upgrade (such as AT200 -> AT250) and/or an 18 month agreement.

Another point no one has brought up. Just because your screen is 16x9 doesn't mean you have to fill it with picture. If the original program is 4x3 and not letterboxed, DON'T STRETCH IT just because you feel you have to fill the screen. If the program is letterboxed (window boxed on a 16x9) then do a zoom mode. Stretching the image to fill the screen is something that I have never ever been able to stomach!

As to PQ, there is absolutely, positively NO advantage to an HD receiver on SD channels.

Also I would recomend an antenna to get off the air HD channels. You don't post where you live, but if you live within 25 miles of the TV tower an simple good quality indoor antenna will give you the best PQ you have ever seen on your TV.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Normally I don't care for stretch-o-vision, but my Zenith plasma has a "Horizon" mode. It does most of the stretching at the outer edges of the picture and is actually quite good. The only thing it doesn't work well for is programming that has any sort of "ticker" across the bottom. It causes the ticker to jump at the outer edges, making it more or less unreadable. Other than that I've gotten so I prefer Horizon mode to 4X3.

I guess it depends on what you get used to. But I cannot ever see how voluntarily distorting a picture would EVER make sense if at the same time you want picture quality. These seem to be mutually exclusive and even competing philosophies.

My Toshiba has "theater mode" and my Hitachi has a cinema mode which do the same thing you descripe. Makes everything look like a reverse fish-eyed lens. It is also the same thing that TNT does with their SD programs. Aweful.

See ya
Tony

How VIP are you?

Call Dish and talk to the technical department. Explain your concern about the 622. If you are a "VIP" customer with perfect payment record for several years. Dish Techs will work with you!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK

I am a 10 year customer with perfect payment history but not no longer subscribing to very much in the way of channels (OK the minimum - DishFamily). I'd tend to believe that your current subscription level would be more important than your bill payment history.

Are you on the Top 250 or taking some movie packages?

We got a HDTV last year and I'd love to see our favorite network shows at high-def, but the budget is still tight.

Thanks.

Does you new TV have a buit in ATSC-HD tuner?

Look at www.antennaweb.org or www.TVFool.com and input you exact street address. This will show you your potential for reception, antennaweb is conservative, TVfool is liberal in their estimates.

You may be able to get free HDTV for the price of an antenna.

Has anyone asked the basic questions like:
What Dishnetwork receiver are you using?
How are you connecting it to the TV?
Are you using a decent quality cable?
These would seem to be important and relative questions to answer before going any further.

Hi,

I recently got the 622 with Dish It Up.
$180 upfront, $50 rebate, $10 off the bill for 10 months.
Seems like a good deal, I think it ends on the 31st.

The install guy offered to sell me cables for $50. I turned him down and went to BigLots! and got an HDMI cable for $13.

I had the 522 before. Connected to my Olevia 226V, SD channels looked pretty bad even with S-Video hooked up. It looked better on my old CRT I had with RCA cables.

With the 622 and HDMI, SD channels look great.
The only thing I dont like is how OTA channels have an audio lag.
There's also no programming info. I find this strange since the Olevia can pull down some info with its OTA tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)