HD Receiver Not Receiving HD Satellite Programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bleman

Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
North Florida
I have an installation in an RV with 2 HD receivers. They are the H24-200 and an H24-700. I have been having problems with the H24-200 insofar that it intermittently (most of the time except on a super clear night) will not tune all the HD channels. When I replace it with the second receiver, the H24-700 everything works fine. I discussed this problem with Direct TV and have replaced the H24-200 twice with the same errors. I was told by a tech that there are some differences between the 2 receivers and that I should get a second H24-700 and that will fix the problem. Is this the problem? The antenna system is a Winegard Slimline Traveler Model SK 3005. Please help!

What do you mean by "won't tune the channels"? Are they in the guide? Are you getting any error messages?
Getting an H24-700 instead of a -200 will have no effect at all.

Wow, you have a Winegard Slimline Traveler Model SK 3005, how do you like it ....
I can only wish that I could afford it ....
Should have the older version (SD only) on the Motor home I am currently looking at.

Can't go much further on this until the OP responds.....

Thanks guys. The H24-700 is working and checks out without any errors. When substituting the H24-200 in place of the H24-700 and not changing anything else, the errors are as described. When checking signal strength, satellite 103 shows a hard fail on the H24-200 with some transponders on 99s not responding or showing 0. Under setup, the selection is Slimline-5 and multiswitch. The satellite transponder readings are: 99c-upper 90 (96-99), 101-upper 90 (95-100), 103ca-98-100, 103cb-0 and NA, 110-mostly NA and a couple of 95, 119-mostly NA except a few transponders 17-32 having upper 90 (96-100). When running an Installation Status on setup, 99, 101, 119 all pass with checkmarks on both odd & even, 103 shows fail (red X) on both odd & even, 110 is blank. Winegard Support says that since one receiver (H24-700) works and when a direct substitution (H24-200) fails that the antenna system is working OK and it has to be the receiver. Direct TV sent out a tech to check the system and could not find anything wrong with the installation but agreed that it was strange that one receiver worked and the other did not. It sure seems that the H24-200 has some quirks?

:welcome to Satelliteguys bleman!

Since the -700 works correctly and the -200 doesn't, it's pretty clear the issue is with the -200 receiver. BTW, 99s and 103s carry spotbeams and you will normally get a lot of zeros. Don't worry about them.

I agree. Satellite 103 does carry a lot of HD programming. This is where the problem with the -200 lies. Direct TV sent me another -200 and the same results prevailed. I have the classic situation where one vendor blames the other. Direct TV thinks it is the antenna system and Winegard thinks that it is the receiver. I was going to try to obtain another -700 to see what happens but have not been successful in locating a vendor that will guarantee delivery of the -700 receiver.

Since 103cb is all zero, that could also indicate a faulty or missing b-band converter. When you moved the -200 to the location where you have the -700, did you move the BBC also? If so, try the -200 with the BBC that was connected to the -700.

Since 103cb is all zero, that could also indicate a faulty or missing b-band converter. When you moved the -200 to the location where you have the -700, did you move the BBC also? If so, try the -200 with the BBC that was connected to the -700.
Wanting to see it this resolves the issue ...
Not much else that could be changed to verify.
OP, you said that the set up is set up as Slim 5 and Multiswitch ...
I would verify that BOTH are that way and not just one or the other.

Last edited:
I have done that. In addition, Direct TV sent me 3 new BBCs and none corrected the issue. The setup is identical for both receivers. Seems like a classic standoff. I would sure like to find a vendor for an H24-700.

I have done that. In addition, Direct TV sent me 3 new BBCs and none corrected the issue. The setup is identical for both receivers. Seems like a classic standoff. I would sure like to find a vendor for an H24-700.
Try Solid Signal dot com

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HR24&ss=480001

They have them in stock, doesn't say what manufacture it is, can't hurt to call and see what they have in stock.

I gave them a try but they would not guarantee the -700, only that they would ship an H24-xxx. Direct TV gave me the same answer.

I doubt that anyone can guarantee you an H24-700
What are the 103cb signals on the -700 ? Are they different between the two cables?

On the -700 satellite 103cb shows all strong signals 96 - 100. When putting the -200 in the same setup, cable etc. the receivers fails on 103cb.

Well this one is a real mystery.
As I remember, the LNB on this dish is a standard Slimline LNB, correct? What happens if you run a cable directly from one of the connectors on the LNB to the -200 with a BBC ?

There are 3 on the Slimline traveler. I would have to disassemble the head to get to the connectors. The leads go into a control box. Need daylight and no rain to mess with it.

Only three? That's interesting....I looked at the install manual and it shows four outputs from the LNB, which is what you would expect with a slimline...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts